3.46 cGPA, 3.67 sGPA, 37 MCAT , extensive research, nontrad CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bollywolly889

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
xxx

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If your GPA is closer to 3.7, then you can throw in a fair amount of reaches (your list is wayyyy to top heavy), but if it ends up closer to that 3.4 area, then just getting in should be your goal.

How did you do in your postbacc?
I see two major problems here:

1.) Your list is insane. You should really only have about 25% reach schools (maximum). Right now you are 100% reach schools. Perhaps some of our local AdComs can chime in.
2.) Your GPA is well below average for Ca matriculants. You need to understand that your goal should be to get into any MD school (I'm assuming by your list that you are not open to DO, which is unfortunate.) It is possible to get into an MD school btw, especially if you aced your postbacc. But UCSF and Harvard? Those are not reach schools for you, they are impossibilities. Sorry to burst your bubble, but UC-anything is out of your reach. Top-tier anything is out of your reach. Your MCAT is great in terms of national matriculants and just average for Ca matriculants.

I would scrap the entire list and use the MSAR to come up with something that isn't a complete fantasy. You should strongly consider DO. California has a couple great DO schools.

Cheers

Edit: Perhaps our local Ca AdCom @Goro can chime in.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! Thank you for your input and advice. It's nice to get some feedback. FYI I've maintained a 4.00 throughout my post-bacc the past 3.5 yrs while also working full time and taking about 9 units each semester.
AdComs will definitely take notice of that. I would say you have a decent shot at some lower/mid tier schools. Still, you should make a more realistic list. Don't listen to premeds (including me) too much about which schools you should apply to, use the MSAR as your guide.

What did you major in and what is your story for the low undergrad GPA? Where are you doing your postbacc? Your academic turnaround is very impressive but how you tell the story is just as important. The way your app is now, your goal should be getting mid-tier schools to give you a chance based on your re-invention and recent accomplishments, because there are plenty of people with similar MCATs but higher GPAs who they can also interview.

Your current list also has a lot of low yield schools, like OHSU, Wisconsin, Brown, UNC, Colorado (check out their OOS tuition).

I think you'll have a couple of bites from this top heavy list if you have a cohesive PS and secondary that make you stand out. I'm also a non trad with similar numbers (not as nice though) and I got interviews at three of those you listed and accepted to one of them, which is all it takes! Your research background will definitely help you with this list I think. Good luck!

How did you do in your postbacc?
I see two major problems here:

1.) Your list is insane. You should really only have about 25% reach schools (maximum). Right now you are 100% reach schools. Perhaps some of our local AdComs can chime in.
2.) Your GPA is well below average for Ca matriculants. You need to understand that your goal should be to get into any MD school (I'm assuming by your list that you are not open to DO, which is unfortunate.) It is possible to get into an MD school btw, especially if you aced your postbacc. But UCSF and Harvard? Those are not reach schools for you, they are impossibilities. Sorry to burst your bubble, but UC-anything is out of your reach. Top-tier anything is out of your reach. Your MCAT is great in terms of national matriculants and just average for Ca matriculants.

I would scrap the entire list and use the MSAR to come up with something that isn't a complete fantasy. You should strongly consider DO. California has a couple great DO schools.

Cheers

Edit: Perhaps our local Ca AdCom @Goro can chime in.

Nothing is impossible. Who are you to actually say it's impossible for him to get in to UCSF or Harvard? Long shot, sure, but impossible? Get over yourself.

Nothing is impossible. Who are you to actually say it's impossible for him to get in to UCSF or Harvard? Long shot, sure, but impossible? Get over yourself.
My stats are similar to the OPs, so no I don't think I'm better than s/he. The OP came on the forum asking for advice on which medical schools he should aim for, I gave it to him/her, and s/he appreciated it. Project your own insecurities about getting into a "bad school" elsewhere.

My stats are similar to the OPs, so no I don't think I'm better than s/he. The OP came on the forum asking for advice on which medical schools he should aim for, I gave it to him/her, and s/he appreciated it. Project your own insecurities about getting into a "bad school" elsewhere.
Your advice is trash.

Your advice is trash.

This will not help the OP in any way. If you have your own opinions or advice on the matter, by all means, share it. If not, you would be more helpful spectating.

@Bollywolly889 I agree with everyone else. Apply early and broadly to mostly low or mid tier schools. Consider applying to fewer reach schools unless money is not an issue.

You're the same person who told me it was impossible to get into medical school so I find it funny who you do and don't advocate for.

Reactions: 1 user