3.47 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 31 MCAT (10,10,11)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorlove248

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am a Michigan resident. I have a 3.47 cGPA and a 3.3 sGPA. I took the MCAT twice. The first time I got a 28 (9,9,10) and the second time a 31 (10,10,11). I don't have any W's on my transcript and never got less than a B- in any class. I have a ton of volunteering and shadowing hours. What are my chances at an MD program. I want to apply next year. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It think your sGPA is low for MD schools.Right now, I think you're actually a very good candidate for DO schools with your new MCAT score. You can try applying to your in-state MD schools. If you really want the MD, you may need to do a post-bacc or SMP program to boost your GPA.That 28 MCAT doesn't help either, since most MD schools average MCAT scores.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What's your recent grade trend; ie what's your GPA of the past 3-4 semesters, particularly in your science courses?

No trend. I've done about the same all 4 years

If your gunning for the MD it would definitely help your case to do a year or so of DIY post-bacc work(or if you are still in school your senior year) with upper level courses and ace them. If your GPA is low, and yours is hovering around the 10th percentile at alot of these schools, you really want some recent record of success that shows demonstration that you can be a strong student. It's not about boosting the numerical sGPA that much, it's about demonstrating you can be a strong student.

At the very least I would recommend doing this while you apply so if you have to be a re-applicant and are gunning for an MD you have something to show as improvement of a re-app. Even in Michigan with several schools with lower GPA 10th percentile stats, a 3.3 sGPA without any upward trend is really pushing things. You are fine for DO programs btw.