3.5 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 517 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pirouette

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're a pretty good candidate for the programs in your state.

You really dont need Colorado, USF, FIU or UIC and I would delete NYMC, Drexel and Temple. The first MCAT score complicates things a little but I think youll get IIs with this list.

You're a pretty good candidate for the programs in your state.

You really dont need Colorado, USF, FIU or UIC and I would delete NYMC, Drexel and Temple. The first MCAT score complicates things a little but I think youll get IIs with this list.

Thanks so much for the reply! Do you suggest deleting those schools because they're low yield? And do the other schools you suggest I eliminate have strong IS bias?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your app looks a lot like mine! My GPA is .1 lower and MCAT is 1 point higher and our ECs are very close. Most of my list as approved by some of the SDN greats can be found here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/chances-list-etc-for-a-low-gpa-high-mcat-non-trad.1169066/

You only have one MCAT score though

Thanks so much for the reply! Do you suggest deleting those schools because they're low yield? And do the other schools you suggest I eliminate have strong IS bias?

The OOS public schools are very low yield in general, especially with discordant stats. The NYMC is 11k OOS apps for 120 OOS spots. Drexel and GW are 14k OOS apps for 180 OOS spots. Those are rather low yield options. Your MCAT score is also on the higher end for them.

You really dont need anymore schools, your state covers alot. If you dont get into any of the Ohio schools the odds of having 20 vs 15 OOS being the difference between an acceptance and not are very very low. Your odds are clearly best IS. I dont think adding more lower tier schools accomplishes much and the multiple MCAT attempts affects how I would view adding more higher end schools.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the link, @ChrisMack390 ! I'll definitely check your page out.

And thank you for the input, @GrapesofRath . I can see from past posts that OH is a good state to be from in terms of admissions. Obviously it is less favorable than getting a 517 the first time (forgot to write in the original post my breakdown is 129/128/131/129), but are there any higher tier schools in particular that give most weight to the most recent score?

Any other views ( @Goro and @gyngyn ?) are greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot.

If anyone has any input about how higher tier schools would view discordant MCAT/GPA as well as a large MCAT score increase on second try, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

If anyone has any input about how higher tier schools would view discordant MCAT/GPA as well as a large MCAT score increase on second try, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

I think the answer is that no one really knows, which is why I am applying to a whole bunch of schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user