3.52 overall, 494 mcat 2015 (Should I apply to the Caribbean too?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I can shadow a doctor here in my research facility. Do we need a letter to apply once we get secondaries? Could you tell me where I can get more information because podiatrics never crossed my mind. Do not a lot of people do it?

I'll PM you sometime later today.

Members don't see this ad.

What are some low tier DO schools? I want to know if I should wait around for any schools or start applying to podiatry schools/studying for MCAT (I am still deciding what I should do). So what DO schools do I have the highest chance (though the highest chance may still be low) of getting an interview from?

Edit #1: Just assume I've applied to all of them (which I basically did)

Edit #2: Here are my stats again:
MCAT 2014-20
MCAT 2015-494
cGPA-3.52
sGPA-3.0

Edit #3-I don't have a DO letter of rec. Only an MD. I'm an IL resident.

Last edited:
You may have a chance for an interview at schools such as ACOM, BCOM, UP-KYCOM, VCOM (all 3 schools), CUSOM, WCU-COM, LMU-DCOM, WVSOM and LUCOM. If you are not accepted this year do not give up. There will be several new DO schools opening for 2017 and if you improve your MCAT score even slightly you would have a better chance for an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
You may have a chance for an interview at schools such as ACOM, BCOM, UP-KYCOM, VCOM (all 3 schools), CUSOM, WCU-COM, LMU-DCOM, WVSOM and LUCOM. If you are not accepted this year do not give up. There will be several new DO schools opening for 2017 and if you improve your MCAT score even slightly you would have a better chance for an acceptance.
I don't have a DO letter of rec, only an MD one. I know that BCOM and WVSOM require a DO letter of rec. Also, don't some of those schools give preference to in-state applicants? I forgot to mention that I'm an IL resident.

I thought you understood. Your MCAT scores combined with a very low sGPA are lethal for Med schools of any kind. What happened to your decision to look at Pod School? Don't waste the money applying to schools that you have no chance of getting an II. And besides it's almost October. Don't do anything this cycle except Pod School.

I thought you understood. Your MCAT scores combined with a very low sGPA are lethal for Med schools of any kind. What happened to your decision to look at Pod School? Don't waste the money applying to schools that you have no chance of getting an II. And besides it's almost October. Don't do anything this cycle except Pod School.
Oh I already sent my secondary applications to 95% of my MD and DO schools before I posted on SDN and now I'm just waiting. After reading the advice from here, I have decided not to send secondaries to the remainder 5% of schools I had. So I was just asking (since my secondaries were all complete and sent), is there any DO schools that I should wait for an interview email from (if there's a small chance). Then if I knew the list of the low tier schools, and I hear back from them with no interview, I am 100% sure that the other schools I applied to will also say no.

Good luck! Get a high quality and hands-on mentor willing to guide you through these next couple of years. If medicine is your passion, you can achieve it. Exceptional circumstances are ONLY overcame with excpetional effort. Like crazy. You literally would need to transform your lifestyle.

Are you a minority by any chance?

Yeah OP I actually really agree with the above statements about podiatry. Your stats are totally fine for many of those schools and I would be surprised if you didn't get in. It is a good career and will keep you seeing patients and practicing a form of medicine. If you do well enough in Pod school my understanding is you can do a residency in surgery and will do foot surgery. Sounds like a good back up gig to me.

Good luck! Get a high quality and hands-on mentor willing to guide you through these next couple of years. If medicine is your passion, you can achieve it. Exceptional circumstances are ONLY overcame with excpetional effort. Like crazy. You literally would need to transform your lifestyle.

Are you a minority by any chance?
Thank you! Since I already graduated, I don't know where I could find such a mentor

I am a minority, but I am not considered a medically under-represented minority.

Yeah OP I actually really agree with the above statements about podiatry. Your stats are totally fine for many of those schools and I would be surprised if you didn't get in. It is a good career and will keep you seeing patients and practicing a form of medicine. If you do well enough in Pod school my understanding is you can do a residency in surgery and will do foot surgery. Sounds like a good back up gig to me.
Thank you! But I was just worried about the lack of residency spots for pod (or so I've heard and read about).

I know that Nova has a program which allows DPMs to take medical school courses and get their DO degree. That may be a pathway to medicine for you.

I know that Nova has a program which allows DPMs to take medical school courses and get their DO degree. That may be a pathway to medicine for you.
Thank you for showing me this! So am I understanding this correctly? After 4 years in pod school, you would take another 3 years in DO school? Then 1 year of DO internship?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for showing me this! So am I understanding this correctly? After 4 years in pod school, you would take another 3 years in DO school? Then 1 year of DO internship?
I'm not sure how it works, I'm just aware of it as a program option. I'd suggest you call or email Nova for more info. I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

Thank you! But I was just worried about the lack of residency spots for pod (or so I've heard and read about).

Eh I'm not too sure about this. Even without residency a Pod is still a Pod whereas an MD from the Caribbean without residency is a construction worker :banana:. (Nothing wrong with construction of that is what you want to do)

And you will make a very solid above average income as a Pod.

Eh I'm not too sure about this. Even without residency a Pod is still a Pod whereas an MD from the Caribbean without residency is a construction worker :banana:. (Nothing wrong with construction of that is what you want to do)

And you will make a very solid above average income as a Pod.
You don't have to do a residency to become a practicing pod? Or are residencies only needed for those who want to do surgery?

Sorry my phone did something weird... Yes my understanding is that it is only for those want to do surgery. Someone may correct me though because I am not 100 percent sure.

Some serious MCAT studying is necessary for you to be a physician, unfortunately. I would make this my number one priority, as your low score would preclude you from ANY MD school and most of the DO programs as well. If you cannot achieve a rock solid MCAT, I'd imagine ADCOMs would be too weary of taking a risk on you. In fact, they may never even have the chance to consider you given how many great applicants there are.

Also, grad school GPA is considered separately. Most consider the grades to be highly inflated.

You will have to retake undergrad versions of your science courses for DO grade repair.

The question is do you try to nail the MCAT before spending effort on grade repair, or do you take the classes first in the hopes that they will help you with the MCAT.
In no way is real grad school inflated. Go to NC State for grad school and say it's inflated. Yeah you can make an A+ But no one ever does. It's super hard you earn it. Just saying.

In no way is real grad school inflated. Go to NC State for grad school and say it's inflated. Yeah you can make an A+ But no one ever does. It's super hard you earn it. Just saying.

That's an 'n of 1' school.

First of all, define 'real grad school'. I have a PhD and I know it was easier for me to get a 4.0 than in undergrad...did I not go to real grad school? My 325 page thesis and diploma seem to argue otherwise.

Then alert adcoms to that designation. Until then, they will continue to consider grad school grades as inflated.

As an online community, we owe it to applicants to give them useful information to make their own good choices. We do not want people to get the idea in their head that a grad program will somehow make up for undergrad grades, as it is generally accepted that grad school grades are inflated and unlikely to give a really good boost to someone's chances.

I'm sure NC State has an excellent graduate school and those who attend graduate school there shouldn't take it personally when we say grad school grades are inflated...but again, we owe the greater community of applicants general truths about the application process.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It's the perception of those who review these applications that graduate grades are inflated. Everyone is expected to get A's. The reality may differ at particular programs but the perception is real. This information is important for MD applicants that expect their graduate grades will remediate their undergraduate performance. It doesn't.

Reactions: 3 users
That's an 'n of 1' school.

First of all, define 'real grad school'. I have a PhD and I know it was easier for me to get a 4.0 than in undergrad...did I not go to real grad school? My 325 page thesis and diploma seem to argue otherwise.

Then alert adcoms to that designation. Until then, they will continue to consider grad school grades as inflated.

As an online community, we owe it to applicants to give them useful information to make their own good choices. We do not want people to get the idea in their head that a grad program will somehow make up for undergrad grades, as it is generally accepted that grad school grades are inflated and unlikely to give a really good boost to someone's chances.

I'm sure NC State has an excellent graduate school and those who attend graduate school there shouldn't take it personally when we say grad school grades are inflated...but again, we owe the greater community of applicants general truths about the application process.
Bro it wasn't to you. It is a realization that all grad schools aren't equal. It is by no means easy to get an A where I went. The physiology degree was designed to get people into med school. We had a med school professor as an advisor and it was taught like a med school. Plenty of people failed and like 4 out of 70 something made an A. I had a 3.8x in undergrad and lower in grad school it was harder. I did graduate undergrad in 3 years and masters in one I guess that made it harder. My professors told me you were not doing good enough research if you were making A's in every class. I was just stating my opinion I hope you get in to a lot of schools it was nothing toward you or your phd. I think a phd is awesome.

Bro it wasn't to you. It is a realization that all grad schools aren't equal. It is by no means easy to get an A where I went. The physiology degree was designed to get people into med school. We had a med school professor as an advisor and it was taught like a med school. Plenty of people failed and like 4 out of 70 something made an A. I had a 3.8x in undergrad and lower in grad school it was harder. I did graduate undergrad in 3 years and masters in one I guess that made it harder. My professors told me you were not doing good enough research if you were making A's in every class. I was just stating my opinion I hope you get in to a lot of schools it was nothing toward you or your phd. I think a phd is awesome.

Oh no worries...I didn't take it personally at all...just trying to reinforce my point. All good. Again, my main goal is for applicants to understand what I stated.

I already got into a school, done with residency, and in fellowship...likely have a rockin' job lined up for next year. Just here to try to help others achieve the same. :)

Oh no worries...I didn't take it personally at all...just trying to reinforce my point. All good. Again, my main goal is for applicants to understand what I stated.

I already got into a school, done with residency, and in fellowship...likely have a rockin' job lined up for next year. Just here to try to help others achieve the same. :)
Yeah that makes sense. You should have a strong undergraduate even if you go to grad school. It only makes sense so I can see how it would not make up for undergrad. Congrats on your achievements.

I am in a kind of similar situation. I have an MCAT score of 494 only because I can't seem to score well on Critical Analysis ( I was born in a different country and fluent in Spanish) and Psychology was just a mind **** with more Verbal reasoning :/ . I have scored a 126 in the Chemical and 125 on Biological. Overall GPA is 3.5; sGPA is a 3.53. You're not alone my friend - I am not giving up hope and neither should you!!! I have applied to 4 DO schools and still haven't heard back from any yet and I applied early. At least I have not been rejected yet

Last edited:
I am in a kind of similar situation. I have an MCAT score of 494 only because I can't seem to score well on Critical Analysis ( I was born in a different country and fluent in Spanish) and Psychology was just a mind **** with more Verbal reasoning :/ . I have scored a 126 in the Chemical and 125 on Biological. Overall GPA is 3.5; sGPA is a 3.53. You're not alone my friend - I am not giving up hope and neither should you!!! I have applied to 4 DO schools and still haven't heard back from any yet and I applied early. At least I have not been rejected yet :happy: Also I am looking into Touros Masters program! That may be something for the both of us.
Probably need to regroup take the MCAT again get above a 500 and apply really broadly. Ideally with that GPA get a 510 and above.

I am in a kind of similar situation. I have an MCAT score of 494 only because I can't seem to score well on Critical Analysis ( I was born in a different country and fluent in Spanish) and Psychology was just a mind **** with more Verbal reasoning :/ . I have scored a 126 in the Chemical and 125 on Biological. Overall GPA is 3.5; sGPA is a 3.53. You're not alone my friend - I am not giving up hope and neither should you!!! I have applied to 4 DO schools and still haven't heard back from any yet and I applied early. At least I have not been rejected yet :happy: Also I am looking into Touros Masters program! That may be something for the both of us.
Why the Touros Masters program? Does it have something unique that the other schools don't?

Thank you for bringing this up Senpai. I never heard of this.

OP, it's up to you. A 494 (21-22) and a 20 on the first MCAT with a 3.5 cGPA and a 3.0 sGPA?

Caribbean schools are a risk and in my opinion, the Big 4 are the only ones worth going to (and from experiences I've seen, SGU and Ross are the only ones I would be comfortable considering of the 4). With your stats, Ross may give you a chance at an interview/acceptance into their MERP program (google it)/acceptance into the medical program. Maybe an acceptance into the Foundations program at SGU.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Don't get your medical degree from a Happy Meal box. Steer clear of the Caribbean.

If you're still interested in seeing what the Caribbean has to offer, I wouldn't look outside of the Big 4. Beware that by 2023, it may be near impossible to match in the US after graduating from a Caribbean school. Talk to recent Caribbean graduates if you know any and ask them if the risk is worth taking especially in 2015/2016. I've met a ton of Ross/SGU students in NYC hospitals but don't let that throw you off. Some people aren't able to get past the pre-clinical years and sometimes fail out. I have heard of one or two horror stories of not being able to match until their 3rd or 4th time.

I felt Caribbean schools weren't a horrible alternative about 10 years ago but now in 2015, I am starting to become wary of them considering the upcoming decisions made by the American medical community.

Last edited:
If you're still interested in seeing what the Caribbean has to offer, I wouldn't look outside of the Big 4. Beware that by 2023, it may be near impossible to match in the US after graduating from a Caribbean school. Talk to recent Caribbean graduates if you know any and ask them if the risk is worth taking especially in 2015/2016. I've met a ton of Ross/SGU students in NYC hospitals but don't let that throw you off. Some people aren't able to get past the pre-clinical years and sometimes fail out. I have heard of one or two horror stories of not being able to match until their 3rd or 4th time.

I felt Caribbean schools weren't a horrible alternative about 10 years ago but now in 2015, I am starting to become wary of them considering the upcoming decisions made by the American medical community.

What is happening in 2023 that will make it near impossible for a Caribbean medical grad to match into a U.S. residency?

Also, grad school GPA is considered separately. Most consider the grades to be highly inflated.

True, but with one notable exception. A Special Masters Program (or SMP) are not considered to be grade inflated and will help with medical school admissions. You are taking the same classes as first year medical students either with M1 students or your own class depending on the program. However, these programs should be considered as a last resort and ONLY for people with a low GPA. Everything else on your application has to be on point. Your MCAT score has to be decent to stellar. An SMP will not make up for a bad MCAT. Only a significantly better MCAT can make up for a bad one. I cannot tell you guys how many times I have seen that question asked...but I digress. A SMP should not be taken lightly. They are often pricey, and are essentially your second and last chance audition for medical school. You blow it, you're DONE. And blowing it can be as easy getting below a 3.6 GPA.

What is happening in 2023 that will make it near impossible for a Caribbean medical grad to match into a U.S. residency?

True, but with one notable exception. A Special Masters Program (or SMP) are not considered to be grade inflated and will help with medical school admissions. You are taking the same classes as first year medical students either with M1 students or your own class depending on the program. However, these programs should be considered as a last resort and ONLY for people with a low GPA. Everything else on your application has to be on point. Your MCAT score has to be decent to stellar. An SMP will not make up for a bad MCAT. Only a significantly better MCAT can make up for a bad one. I cannot tell you guys how many times I have seen that question asked...but I digress. A SMP should not be taken lightly. They are often pricey, and are essentially your second and last chance audition for medical school. You blow it, you're DONE. And blowing it can be as easy getting below a 3.6 GPA.

I'm just assuming with the growing number of new US medical schools and the ECFMG changes in 2023 may make it more difficult. I'm not entirely sure.

Nonetheless, I do recommend Big 4 Caribbean medical schools if anyone considers that route. But research what it's all about and decide if you think it is right for you. I have heard of successful stories from such schools but also a share of stories of people not being able to match or graduate.

Plot twist: he posts in 5 years as a neuro surgery resident in the US who’s graduated from a Caribbean school.

• Haha
what happened? How's everything going with you OP?
OP hasn't been seen in two years...
Plot twist: he posts in 5 years as a neuro surgery resident in the US who’s graduated from a Caribbean school.

I never thought I would sign back into sdn again, but here I am :) Reading all these posts bring back so many memories! You all have no idea how much you had helped me all those years ago! I've grown and changed so much since my last time here that I don't even recognize myself lol

From my last time being here, I took a small hiatus from my medicine journey. And then after some time, I did end up going to a Big 4 Caribbean school. And after all the ups and downs, all the laughs and tears, I am happy (and equally scared) to say that I'll be taking Step 1 within the next 4 months :) It was such a long journey, and damn medical school is no joke:inpain: Not that I ever thought it would be, but now I understand when people say there's no way to know how medical school will be until you're actually IN medical school.

It feels good to be back here in sdn, and hopefully I can help and encourage others in whatever small way I can :)

Oof, I'm going to take Step 1 soon and I see this message:nailbiting:
Carib grads are expected to nail step one to have a chance at getting into a residency in the US. Best of luck! Have you taken any prep courses or were provided with any resources?

Carib grads are expected to nail step one to have a chance at getting into a residency in the US. Best of luck! Have you taken any prep courses or were provided with any resources?

Thank you! The two online resources I've been going between are the USMLE Success Academy and the Kaplan prep. I've been trying to decide on which one to focus more on

Thank you! The two online resources I've been going between are the USMLE Success Academy and the Kaplan prep. I've been trying to decide on which one to focus more on
A lot of people like UWorld and Pathoma. Did the school provide the prep courses or was it out of pocket?

A lot of people like UWorld and Pathoma. Did the school provide the prep courses or was it out of pocket?
Oh whoops, I thought you were only referring to prep courses. But yes, I was provided with a UWorld subscription and a Kaplan prep course. Success Academy and Pathoma were out of pocket.