DO 3.55 cGPA, 3.37sGPA, 25 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cafeverona

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
for MD, table 24 puts your chances around 20% -- if you're white, table 25 says about 15%. MD is going to be really tough, though i think michigan is a lucky state -- they have a couple of public schools with low stats that you fall above their 10th percentiles (MSU and central michigan), plus they have a couple of new schools (western michigan and oakland). i think it would definitely be worth it to give those 4 a shot

as far as DO, you're actually not in too bad of shape since your MCAT is well-balanced and your GPA is decent. definitely give MSUCOM a look, but i'll defer to @Goro for better advice on the DO front

DO isn't really about numbers. It's about people who will make an excellent physician, but aren't as competitive number-wise. What kind of ECs do you have that suggest that you will make an excellent physician?

If you have those ECs, there are schools that will happily accept a 3.55/25, even though a 25 MCAT is lower than many DO matriculants.

Are DO schools looking for the same kind of ECs as MD schools look at? I have leadership, volunteering, tons of research, and I'm working on shadowing DO docs now. I'm new to the DO stuff--just started researching this. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Seems like they want to see a lot of clinical experience and a pronounced altruistic side.

Are DO schools looking for the same kind of ECs as MD schools look at? I have leadership, volunteering, tons of research, and I'm working on shadowing DO docs now. I'm new to the DO stuff--just started researching this. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

They look for the same stuff. You would be good for any low/mid tier DO school.

The higher tier DO schools are around 30 MCAT now.

If you go to the Pre-DO section there is a list of all the schools with avg stats.

i don't think a SMP is going to be beneficial for you. your GPA is fine for DO schools as it is, it's the clinical hours you need

Reactions: 1 user
I know MSUCOM is around a 28 average, but do you think I have a shot there (it's the only DO school in MI)

Yeah, it's worth a shot as long as you don't have too many retakes.

They like to see a bunch of upper division classes on the transcript.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply broadly and you'll do fine. Skip CCOM, AZCOM, Western and the NY and CA Touros.

Can anyone chance me just based purely on stats?

Graduated from a top 10 university, if that matters at all.

I know my MCAT is very low, but I've taken it twice and gotten the same score. :/

Should I wait until after I complete a masters program and apply next cycle? MSUCOM is the school in my state.

I was really hoping to go MD, but my stats are too low, and my chances are much better at DO. I'm just hesitating because I'm not sure if my stats are good for this cycle (I'm referring to applying this summer).

might as well just switch your major to Russian literature bud