3.55 cGPA 3.55 sGPA 517 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtsnow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I was just looking for my chances as well as some help on determing a school list.

As I stated in the title I have a 3.55 cGPA 3.55 sGPA and a 517 MCAT. My grades have an upward trend. I am a Missouri resident and am white. I was in the Honors Program at my college.
EC: I have shadowed and volunteered in a hospital for a total of about 150 hours. I was involved in the surgery department and the recovery room. I interacted with patients in these roles.
I took part as a research assistant in a study at a hospital. I was responsible for reading physicians patient notes and evaluating the quality of them. The feedback is used to train the physicians and residents at the hospital. This research for me was about 2 months.

I volunteered with an organization that helped repair and maintain forest preserves in my area as well as helped teach local schools about the wildlife of the city.

I graduated in May and I am currently working a full time not science related job.

Any input on my MD chances would be helpful. My LizzyM score says 70.5 so should I be looking at schools with a similar LizzyM or should it be schools with a lower LizzyM. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Forgot to include my prelimary school list.
University of Missouri, Hofstra, NYMC, Jefferson, Temple, Tufts, Drexel, Creighton, Loyola, SLU, George Washington, Quinnipiac, Rosalind Franklin, Tulane, Oakland Beaumont.

If that is your only MCAT, many on your list have a 90th percentile lower than your MCAT.
Delete these and focus on OOS schools with a median MCAT around 35 that matriculate at least 15% OOS and get less than 10K applications.
Are you a MO resident?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Suggest adding MCW, Creighton, DMU, CCOM, NYIT-AR, KCU, and KCOM to your list.

Hey I was just looking for my chances as well as some help on determing a school list.

As I stated in the title I have a 3.55 cGPA 3.55 sGPA and a 517 MCAT. My grades have an upward trend. I am a Missouri resident and am white. I was in the Honors Program at my college.
EC: I have shadowed and volunteered in a hospital for a total of about 150 hours. I was involved in the surgery department and the recovery room. I interacted with patients in these roles.
I took part as a research assistant in a study at a hospital. I was responsible for reading physicians patient notes and evaluating the quality of them. The feedback is used to train the physicians and residents at the hospital. This research for me was about 2 months.

I volunteered with an organization that helped repair and maintain forest preserves in my area as well as helped teach local schools about the wildlife of the city.

I graduated in May and I am currently working a full time not science related job.

Any input on my MD chances would be helpful. My LizzyM score says 70.5 so should I be looking at schools with a similar LizzyM or should it be schools with a lower LizzyM. Thank you.

You have a fairly solid shot at MO-Columbia.
Only thing I'd add to what gyngyn said above is when looking at schools with an MCAT median around 35 I'd focus a bit more on those where it's a bit below 35 (ie Miami Tufts Tulane etc) than those where it's a bit above(ie Harvard JHU etc)
I personally dont think you need DO schools with a solid MD list.

If that is your only MCAT, many on your list have a 90th percentile lower than your MCAT.
Delete these and focus on OOS schools with a median MCAT around 35 that matriculate at least 15% OOS and get less than 10K applications.
Are you a MO resident?

I am a Missouri resident. It is also my only MCAT.

You have a fairly solid shot at MO-Columbia.
Only thing I'd add to what gyngyn said above is when looking at schools with an MCAT median around 35 I'd focus a bit more on those where it's a bit below 35 (ie Miami Tufts Tulane etc) than those where it's a bit above(ie Harvard JHU etc)
I personally dont think you need DO schools with a solid MD list.

Thank you for the help. How much do you think my GPA will hurt me if I apply to schools with generally higher MCAT?

Thank you for the help. How much do you think my GPA will hurt me if I apply to schools with generally higher MCAT?

Only way to know is to apply. Bigger issue than the GPA for the top schools might be only 2 months of research.

Would it be worth adding any public schools that have an okay percent of accepting out of states students? Or is that not really worth looking at?

Depends on which public school. Something like Cincinnati is fine, something like OHSU not so much.

Depends on which public school. Something like Cincinnati is fine, something like OHSU not so much.
So when you say that does that depend on the selectivity or the numbers of the school? Or is it more based on the amount of out of state students they interview and accept?

So when you say that does that depend on the selectivity or the numbers of the school? Or is it more based on the amount of out of state students they interview and accept?

It can be any of these things. A school like UNC has an unofficial 3.6/33 cut off for OOS. A school like U of Wash is really only going to consider WWAMI.
As you can see it's often a case by case basis
Best thing I'd say is your list above has about a half dozen fairly solid choices on your initial list with your state school, Jefferson, Tufts, Loyola, SLU, and Tulane. Hofstras probably ok also As long as you keep those and maybe add a few more that target people with your stats(ie Einstein, Cincinnati etc) you can afford to add some more competitive OOS publics that take at least 15-20% OOS that you would seriously consider turning down your cheap state school tuition for.

Last edited:
So for the ones you say are fairly solid does that mean that the rest are too low stat wise? Why is alot of my list a not good fit? Thanks. You have been very helpful.

It's like gyngyn said earlier your MCAT is at the 90th for many of those schools and a number of them get >11k apps. Those aren't schools most likely to be interview you and let's be real are you really going to turn down your state school tuition to go somewhere like Drexel or RFU.

That is true I would have a tough time turining down that instate tuition. I was just worried that my GPA was lower so I should look for schools where my MCAT is higher than their range.

You're probably overthinking this a bit
You have 7 solid choices as those I listed above. You have a good shot at your state school.
Add a few more if you want of schools in that range I highlighted(ie Cincinnati, Einstein etc)
From there you can add some reaches and OOS publics. If it takes at least 10-15% OOS, as a reach it's probably ok.