3.55 cGPA 3.88 sGPA 34 MCAT non-trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

formerlawyer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 29 year old former attorney.

I quit my job to take the pre-med courses at my local university. When I graduated from college (University of Florida) initially, my degree was in marketing and I had taken no pre-med courses. My GPA then was a 3.4.

I graduated from law school (also UF) at the top of my class, worked for just over a year, then decided to make a career change.

I got straight A's in the pre-med classes I took after quitting my job. I did take a few science and math classes in undergrad, so my science and math GPA is a 3.88. I got a 34 on my MCAT. My cumulative undergrad GPA is now a 3.55.

My extracurriculars consists mainly of volunteering at a local hospital.

I also was a research assistant in law school, not sure if that has any relevance though as it had nothing to do with science.

My target schools are as follows:

University of Florida
University of South Florida
Florida State University
University of Central Florida
Florida International University

I am Hispanic (but neither Puerto Rican or Mexican-American). For law school, I got a boost because law schools consider all Hispanics to be under-represented, but it looks like medical schools only consider Puerto Ricans and Mexican-Americans to be under-represented. Is that accurate?

I am hoping to get in-state tuition, hence the schools I have selected. Any reason to apply anywhere else, and what are my chances of getting in?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well, I'm a 3rd generation Cuban-American, and I doubt Cuban-Americans are underrepresented among doctors in Florida.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am 29 year old former attorney.

I quit my job to take the pre-med courses at my local university. When I graduated from college (University of Florida) initially, my degree was in marketing and I had taken no pre-med courses. My GPA then was a 3.4.

I graduated from law school (also UF) at the top of my class, worked for just over a year, then decided to make a career change.

I got straight A's in the pre-med classes I took after quitting my job. I did take a few science and math classes in undergrad, so my science and math GPA is a 3.88. I got a 34 on my MCAT. My cumulative undergrad GPA is now a 3.55.

My extracurriculars consists mainly of volunteering at a local hospital.

I also I was a research assistant in law school, not sure if that has any relevance though as it had nothing to do with science.

My target schools are as follows:

University of Florida
University of South Florida
Florida State University
University of Central Florida
Florida International University

I am Hispanic (but neither Puerto Rican or Mexican-American). For law school, I got a boost because law schools consider all Hispanics to be under-represented, but it looks like medical schools only consider Puerto Ricans and Mexican-Americans to be under-represented. Is that accurate?

I am hoping to get in-state tuition, hence the schools I have selected. Any reason to apply anywhere else, and what are my chances of getting in?

your law background, URM status and strong mcat are good enough for u to apply medium and some top tier schools.

Youll be a very strong applicant for every school in FL.

Is there any reason to go out of state/top tier when it's more expensive than in state? With law school, it makes sense to go to an expensive top tier/out of state school because large law firms recruit primarily out of the best law schools.

My understanding is that for residency matching, what primarily matters is your board scores and that your medical school doesn't make that much of a difference? I'n assuming that school prestige matters when comparing the foreign schools vs. the top tier programs, but would it matter much to go to a school like UF vs. a slightly better ranked, but much more expensive program?