3.55sGPA 33 MCAT, chances and list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woltej1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
retook mcat after getting waitlisted, 27->33(v9, p11, b13).

5+ years CNA work, 3+ years special olympics coaching, 1 year research(abstract, no pub), 1 year pre med prez(other random volunteer stuff involved here), 1 year clinical scribing, 200+ hours shadowing and few other one time volunteer experiences.

Minnesota resident.

Drexel
Jefferson
Medical College of Wisconsin
Temple
Commonwealth
University of Minnesota: Twin cities and duluth.

Here's my school list, as you can tell I'm not trying to reach for the skies here. Any recommendations for other schools and maybe a reach school or two?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sorry I won't be more helpful, but school-specific information outside NC isn't really my strength. However, I just want to make sure you're aware of Loma Linda's mission and code of conduct. It's not a great fit for applicants that don't mesh with it's mission. Perhaps you're applying there specifically because of the mission?

Sorry I won't be more helpful, but school-specific information outside NC isn't really my strength. However, I just want to make sure you're aware of Loma Linda's mission and code of conduct. It's not a great fit for applicants that don't mesh with it's mission. Perhaps you're applying there specifically because of the mission?
whoops, meant to take that one out because I saw that the other day, good catch.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question: how do you go about finding a scribing job? I've been looking for positions in the philadelphia area but I haven't found much luck.

Have you considered any Michigan schools? Or maybe Creighton or SLU? Georgetown, NYMC, Albany?

Question: how do you go about finding a scribing job? I've been looking for positions in the philadelphia area but I haven't found much luck.

Have you considered any Michigan schools? Or maybe Creighton or SLU? Georgetown, NYMC, Albany?
I found mine because a nurse I worked with was dating a doc that was involved in the company so she told me about it and put in a good word. I'd recommend calling clinics and hospitals that you would want to go to and just ask if they use a scribing company.

As for those lists, I'm trying to stay away from OOS publics as they don't seem worth the money to even apply to and wouldn't georgetown be a bit too much of a reach for me?

I found mine because a nurse I worked with was dating a doc that was involved in the company so she told me about it and put in a good word. I'd recommend calling clinics and hospitals that you would want to go to and just ask if they use a scribing company.

As for those lists, I'm trying to stay away from OOS publics as they don't seem worth the money to even apply to and wouldn't georgetown be a bit too much of a reach for me?

Gotcha. I asked the doctor I shadow if he knows of any opportunities. I also sent in my résumé to "scribing America". But I'll look into calling clinics and hospitals. I'd really like to add scribing into my résumé.

And It's always good to have one or two reaches. Have you considered DO? You'd be competitive for any DO program.

yea, i'll be applying DO this cycle. I'd like to go MD because of proximity of a my state schools and also even though I wouldn't have a problem going DO, I feel like you are put at a disadvantage, no matter how small, just by being DO.

Suggest any of the following:

Loyola
Rush
SLU
Creighton
Wake Forest
Albany
NYMC
GWU
Tufts
BU
Tulane
Miami (maybe)
Rosy Franklin
TCMC
VCU
EVMC
All new MD programs

You are ill-informed with this attitude.

I feel like you are put at a disadvantage, no matter how small, just by being DO.

what do you feel would be a few reasonable reach schools given my stats?

Also, what are considered to be some of the better DO programs, FYI, not looking at family practice and most likely not any primary care.

Suggest any of the following:

Loyola
Rush
SLU
Creighton
Wake Forest
Albany
NYMC
GWU
Tufts
BU
Tulane
Miami (maybe)
Rosy Franklin
TCMC
VCU
EVMC
All new MD programs

You are ill-informed with this attitude.

I feel like you are put at a disadvantage, no matter how small, just by being DO.

I'm not a fan of "reach"....I'm a fan of practical and realistic. That said, you seem to be in striking distance of USC and Miami. Oh, Penn State too.

what do you feel would be a few reasonable reach schools given my stats?

I have a high opinion of my own school (somewhere west of the Rockies.) To that, add Western, TUCOM-CA, MUCOM, CCOM, TUCOM-NV, AT-Still, PCOM, VCOM, and DMU. You'll get a fine education at any of the DO schools. However, I can't recommend LUCOM or LECOM. The former, because of the politics of their parent body, then latter because of their mandatory dress and attendance polices. And first, get into medical school, before worrying about specialty.

Also, what are considered to be some of the better DO programs, FYI, not looking at family practice and most likely not any primary care.

I'd add UND as well. You have a fair shot at an II and a strong secondary will help you even more. Personally I'd add KCUMB to your DO list as well.

I'd add UND as well. You have a fair shot at an II and a strong secondary will help you even more. Personally I'd add KCUMB to your DO list as well.
i applied there last cycle and their secondary is heavy on ties to north dakota which I have none and would be completely lying if I said I have any intention of staying there.

i applied there last cycle and their secondary is heavy on ties to north dakota which I have none and would be completely lying if I said I have any intention of staying there.

Fair enough. Don't know why you wouldn't want to stay in a state with a better hockey team though ;).