3.57 cGPA, 3.37 sGPA, waiting on MCAT...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TitusDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying to both MD and DO. Graduated with my degree in Biology this last May. Have a 3.63 cGPA, 3.46 sGPA, and 3.94 nsGPA.

I took my MCAT last year trying to get into last year's app cycle w/o having taken O Chem II or PHYS II. Needless to say, I didn't do that well. 22N. Chose not to apply and wait until this cycle. I'm retaking Friday, however, and have been getting between a 29-31 consistently on all my FL AAMC Practice Tests.

As far as ECs go: I have 50+ hours of shadowing experience, 700+ hours of non medically related volunteer work, 60+ hours of work with a medical non-profit my wife and I started, and then around 250 hours from a competitive hospital internship I was chosen to be a part of this summer.

I'm really interested in the DO philosophy so probably have those schools as my top choice. What are my chances? I know I'm applying to both OSU and KCUMB. Any other suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Also, forgot to add that I worked (non-medical) an avg of 20-40 hours/week throughout the entirety of my undergrad.

Applying to both MD and DO. Graduated with my degree in Biology this last May. Have a 3.63 cGPA, 3.46 sGPA, and 3.94 nsGPA.

I took my MCAT last year trying to get into last year's app cycle w/o having taken O Chem II or PHYS II. Needless to say, I didn't do that well. 22N. Chose not to apply and wait until this cycle. I'm retaking Friday, however, and have been getting between a 29-31 consistently on all my FL AAMC Practice Tests.

As far as ECs go: I have 50+ hours of shadowing experience, 700+ hours of non medically related volunteer work, 60+ hours of work with a medical non-profit my wife and I started, and then around 250 hours from a competitive hospital internship I was chosen to be a part of this summer.

I'm really interested in the DO philosophy so probably have those schools as my top choice. What are my chances? I know I'm applying to both OSU and KCUMB. Any other suggestions?
Your best bets are DO schools. I'm assuming you have a DO LOR?

Does your "medical non-profit" fit within the definition of "clinical volunteering" (meaning for those 60 hours, were you close enough to patients to smell them and around someone who can write prescriptions)?

You are applying this cycle? You need to get your apps in ASAP after your MCAT if you are, especially if you are serious about MD (I don't know much about the AACOMAS system, but I assume you want to get that app done ASAP too)

For MD, your sGPA is pretty low, your cGPA is a little low, and your projected MCAT is a little low. So I don't think your chances are that great.