3.58 cGPA, 3.54 sGPA, 31 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zipideedoodah

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Non-traditional (4 years since undergrad when I apply), CA resident applying to MD and DO schools. Non-URM.

MCAT = 31... 10PS, 9V, 12BS

B.S. (Bio)
- cGPA = 3.58 (upward trend)
- sGPA = 3.54

M.P.H. (Epi)
- cGPA = 4.0 (I am aware this doesn’t help my undergrad GPA)

Volunteer:
- 100 hours volunteering at hospital (ER & OR)
- 80 hours clinic aide (took vital signs at urgent care)
- 50 hours volunteering at a hospice
- 80 hours peer-health educator

Teaching/Tutoring (Paid):
- 4 years high school teacher (2 yrs part-time, 2 yr full-time)
- 2 years tutoring kids with learning disabilities
- 1 quarter TA for undergrad bio class

Research (Unpaid):
- 4 years clinical research
- 6 months basic science research
- International research (field work for 4 days, prep/post-analysis for 3 months)
- Master’s thesis + defense
- 1 poster presentation at a major conference
- 1 publication (second author)

Other:
- 50 hours shadowing (general/plastic surgeon, urologist/family practitioner, and pediatric pulmonologist - all MDs)
- Extensive traveling

Applying to:

UCSD
UCLA
UCI
UCR
USC
Western
Touro

Should I retake the MCAT? I was averaging 33.5. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Do not retake the MCAT. Many people do slightly worse on the real thing compared to practice tests. A 31 is still a respectable score. You need to increase your list of schools. Seven schools is too small of a number to apply to.

It would be most wise to expand your list of school to include out of state privates. CA schools are a bit tougher to get into and 7 is way too few schools. You want at least 15.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using Tapatalk 2

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not retake the MCAT. Many people do slightly worse on the real thing compared to practice tests. A 31 is still a respectable score. You need to increase your list of schools. Seven schools is too small of a number to apply to.
I agree. Big time. That said, you should get into Touro or Western.

Thanks for your responses. I'm leaning towards not retaking it, but realistically I wouldn't want to go to school out of CA so I think it would be a waste of my money to apply out-of-state.

Thanks for your responses. I'm leaning towards not retaking it, but realistically I wouldn't want to go to school out of CA so I think it would be a waste of my money to apply out-of-state.
Do you have any connections to the ''inland empire?"