3.5c ; 3.4s; 506MCAT(124 CARS, PC 129, BB 127, PS 126)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MEDINALDO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances for Caribbean Med Schools like Sgu and Ross?

40 hours clinical V.
2 semesters G.Chem tutor
2 summer research ExP
8-16 hours Part time work during College( 4 semesters)
Under-Rep. M( African immigrant 5yr)

GPA Breakdown:
3.75 at Community College( 3 semesters; All prereq. except Physics II)
3.37(3.13s; 2 C+ in physics II (R)) ; Biochemistry major

Members don't see this ad.

Why not retake the MCAT and focus on ECs so you're competitive for some US schools?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You could probably make your way into a DO school, especially given that URM status.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your clinical and community/volunteer service on nil. You need to work on those prior to even thinking about applying. Even as URM, your 4 year grades dropping after CC are a big issue. GPA more important than an MCAT retake in this case. Skip the cycle, add some additional upper level bio courses as an informal postbacc and consider the MCAT retake in addition
You are absolutely right! Physics II screw my GPA. Ideally, Postbacc and SMP should be my option but are too expensive. I also don't think waiting for 2 years to get into US schools is worth it if I get into Caribbean med schools like St. George's university or AUC this cycle. Thanks for the honest critique though.

Last edited:
Obvious troll 2/10

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
You are absolutely right! Physics II screw my GPA. Ideally, Postbacc and SMP should be my option but are too expensive. I also don't think waiting for 2 years to get into US schools is worth it if I can get into Caribbean med schools like St. George's university or AUC this cycle. Thanks for the honest critique though.
your statement doesn't make sense. Are saying that you will apply to carribean only to get accepted and reject that offer as some form of indication that you could get into "a" medical school? These are for-profit off-shore schools..you give them money, that's all they want so I don't know how that can be an indication of anything academically substantial.

your statement doesn't make sense. Are saying that you will apply to carribean only to get accepted and reject that offer as some form of indication that you could get into "a" medical school? These are for-profit off-shore schools..you give them money, that's all they want so I don't know how that can be an indication of anything academically substantial.
sorry... if i get into...

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Advance-Data-Tables-2016_Final.pdf (see page 7, Table 4)

A decade or more ago, the Caribbean was a reasonable path to medicine It isnt the quality of the education in the Caribbean , which is questionable, that is the issue here at all. It is solely the reported (or discernible) match rate of the the graduates and the underlying (and mostly unreported) attrition rate for matriculants which leads to what I call the success rate. That is, if you start medical school, what are the chances you will get a residency slot. I have discussed this at length is several other threads (links below). Essentially, in US MD schools, 94% of students graduate in 5 years going to 97% in 8 years (accounts for dual degree students). Graduating US MD seniors match into residency at 94% with likely 2%-4% getting SOAP slots. Lets say 97% total get positions. So if you start a US MD school, you have an overall 94% chance of earning your degree and getting a residency slot, thus allowing you to eventually practice medicine and pay your loans back. It should also be noted that about 75% of graduating seniors get into one of their top three ranked choices.

Bloomberg has cited (see link below) that Ross, for example, has about 52% of their students who complete the program and earn a degree. Of these about 85% receive a residency slot. SGU has previously reported about 30% of it graduates go to non-match slots via SOAP, off-cycle, or other mechanisms which essentially means what is ever left open at the end of the match. So if you start Ross, for example, you have an under 45% chance of earning a degree and getting any residency slot. Big risk for several hundred thousands of dollars in loans and less than a 45% chance of practicing medicine.

Additionally, in the table in the link at the top of this post there are some other numbers to be noted that tend to be overlooked: the withdrew and no rank, which are not included of the match/unmatched percentages discussed above (NRMP mixes two totals and two percentage groupings) These are applicants who apply for residency but either withdrew from selection (often for not passing boards) or did not complete the process by submitting a ranking list (often cause they did not get an interview). For the US Seniors, withdrew was 2% and no rank was 0.3%. Adding that to unmatched a total of 7.9% of the applicants who originally applied did not match into a spot. For IMG-US Citizens, if we take all who applied to residency but did not get a slot either by unmatched, withdrew, or no rank, it comes to a whopping 61.5% or nearly 8 times the US percentages.

Just a decade ago, going to the Caribbean was a reasonable path to medicine. Now with the growing number of US-MD graduates and the lack of any real growth in residency slots, squeezes the off-shore grads. With the debt that a student must risk for the losing odds on getting a residency slot, I can no longer recommend off shore schools.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...an-medical-schools-use-federal-funds-loophole
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...pre-med-matriculate-in-the-caribbean.1183556/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/us-md-for-320k-or-img-for-100k.1130221/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/good-chance-at-getting-into-st-georges-should-i-do-it-3-4-overall-gpa-3-55-science-gpa.1133776/#post-16443492
Yes, in general going to a Caribbean schools is definitely a risky gamble. I am leaning towards not applying.
This is what a news article posted on the ECFMG website says:"Of the 5,014 U.S. citizen IMG participants, 2,660 (53.1%) were matched to first-year positions, a decrease of 62 from last year. This decrease marks an end to 11 consecutive years which saw increases in the number of U.S. citizen IMGs matching to first-year positions."

With the URM tag you could get into a DO school as is. The Carib schools will suck your soul right after it takes your wallet. Just look at them as dementors

Reactions: 1 user