3.65 cGPA 3.24 sGPA 26 Mcat. Apply to Med School for Welfare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KennyV

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.65 cGPA
3.24 sGPA (I expect this rise a bit, I am retaking a C- in Freshman year that I expect to ace now)
26 MCAT (8/9/9)

300 +hours of Summer Research
100 hours volunteering and shadowing in a nursing home. (Mostly shadowing, there was hardly any work)
300+ Hours of general community service (Alpha Phi Omega, Big Brothers Big Sisters etc..)

I have several LORs from doctors, PHDs, and even an adcom member. I am planning to expand my ECs.

Right now I'm just a little bummed out because of my MCAT score. I am considering retaking it.

Members don't see this ad.

3.65 cGPA
3.24 sGPA (I expect this rise a bit, I am retaking a C- in Freshman year that I expect to ace now)
26 MCAT (8/9/9)

300 +hours of Summer Research
100 hours volunteering and shadowing in a nursing home. (Mostly shadowing, there was hardly any work)
300+ Hours of general community service (Alpha Phi Omega, Big Brothers Big Sisters etc..)

I have several LORs from doctors, PHDs, and even an adcom member. I am planning to expand my ECs.

Right now I'm just a little bummed out because of my MCAT score. I am considering retaking it.

Depends on what you are planning to do this cycle. If you are applying DO then you are well off and do not need to worry too much. Your GPA is not too bad and your MCAT is about average. As for MD I am not sure if any of the schools will take that score and I would consider a retake although it would have to be for the next cycle.

MD cycles are much shorter and if you plan a retake now, then you do not have much of a chance. It is something you can improve though and I would not get discouraged. It just means you might have to hit the books and some practice exams this upcoming year and keep moving forward.

In the end if you apply DO and get into a DO school. It really doesn't matter. You will still be a doctor and still will be improving your patients lives. Focus on the root of the dream.