3.69 cGPA, 3.55 sGPA 34 MCAT applying MSTP WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flobberwhale

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just got my mcat scores back yesterday. I got 11 VR, 10 PS and 13 BS, 34 total. I am pretty happy with this. However, I know my gpa is lower than the average for MDPHD matriculants, 3.8, so I am a bit worried (my MCAT is average for matriculants but I was hoping to get higher to balance my gpa).

I have excellent ECs.

For research, I have 1 publication (6th author out of 10) in a top journal. 1 potential 3rd author publication to be submitted. I also have two posters, 1 from my honor's thesis and one from a summer research fellowship.

I would really like to go to a Norcal school because of geographic concerns with my SO. That leaves Stanford, UCSF and UC Davis. I think I might stand a chance with Davis.

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

"Excellent ECs" is not a thorough enough description if you're hoping for a reasonable evaluation of where you might be competitive.

"Excellent ECs" is not a thorough enough description if you're hoping for a reasonable evaluation of where you might be competitive.
Here you go:

Clinical Experience:
-Was a student health worker in the dorms for my school as part of the university health clinic program. Offered first aid, health education, put on health educations programs. Was named health worker of the year
-next year; was a coordinator for that program, was named coordinator of the yar
-worked as a volunteer in the urgent care center for my university for one semester.

Leadership and Community service:
Established two student organizations on campus and led them. One was for health education, the other was for mental health.
-For the mental health organization, the organization was the first of it's kind, we held a fundraising event and became one of the top three schools in fundraising nationally the second year we held the event.
-established a mental health coalition on campus that united mental health related groups on campus and the coalition collaborated on campus wide events
-through my involvement in fundraising through my mental health organization I was invited to join the board of the the local chapter of the national organization this fundraiser was being held for.
-Joined the board, am now part of the executive committee, the year following the year I joined, our chapter won chapter of the year at for our work in the community.
-two years as a peer counselor for mental health

Academic:
-Chemistry Tutor for 1 semester
-Dean's list and honors multiple semesters

Did all this while having to work to support myself throughout college
I hope I didn't leave anything out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stanford and UCSF, especially for MSTP, will be very tough. Davis seems certainly possible, but I would still try to apply broadly besides Davis.

What is your school?

I don't know if that's even necessary to ask. You are a great MD candidate for many mid-tier and even some top-tier schools, so even if he tells you which school, the fact that you have to apply broadly won't change as much.

I don't know if that's even necessary to ask. You are a great MD candidate for many mid-tier and even some top-tier schools, so even if he tells you which school, the fact that you have to apply broadly won't change as much.
I just wanted to know if the school was UC Davis. :p

I am planning on applying to more schools, I was just hoping to know my Norcal chances specifically in addition to my general chances.

Thanks so much for the feedback! I appreciated it.

Exactly.