3.69 GPA 34 MCAT - Help choose schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Falconclaw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sci GPA is 3.55. Volunteered at a hospital, lots of community service, shadowing internal medicine md and radiology md this summer (already started), sat in on some med school classes (16 hrs), no research experience. new york state resident.
here's my list of schools. please tell me what you think!

1. SUNY Upstate

2. Buffalo

3. New York Medical College

4. Stonybrook

5. Chicago Medical School

6. Tulane

7. Medical College of Wisconsin

8. Temple University School of Medicine

9. Jefferson Medical College

10. Einstein

11. Mount Sinai

12. Weill-Cornell

13. Downstate

14. Quinnipiac

15. Hofstra

16. Albany

17. NYIT DO

18. Lake Erie DO

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I initially posted this in "What are my chances" but nobody responded lol. Sci GPA is 3.55. Volunteered at a hospital, lots of community service, shadowing internal medicine md and radiology md this summer (already started), sat in on some med school classes (16 hrs), no research experience. new york state resident. editor of a college monthly magazine, other extracurriculars as well.
here's my list of schools. please tell me what you think!

1. SUNY Upstate

2. Buffalo

4. Stonybrook

6. Tulane

10. Einstein

11. Mount Sinai

12. Weill-Cornell

13. Downstate

14. Quinnipiac

15. Hofstra

16. Albany

17. NYIT DO

18. Lake Erie DO

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd add some more mid tiers (SUNY would be good as you appear to enjoy NY). And I'd cut Cornell/Sinai given your MCAT/GPA.

Edit: Just saw no research. Definitely cut Cornell/Sinai unless you feel like making two charitable donations.

I'd add some more mid tiers (SUNY would be good as you appear to enjoy NY). And I'd cut Cornell/Sinai given your MCAT/GPA.

Edit: Just saw no research. Definitely cut Cornell/Sinai unless you feel like making two charitable donations.
All four SUNYs are already on the list, haha. I don't particularly enjoy NY, but I don't mind it, and I think med schools in NY are more familiar with my university (Binghamton) since they get a lot of applicants from there. In fact, I think last year five people from my school got accepted to SUNY Upstate, and six to Downstate.

I feel you about Sinai, I guess I'll cut that. The only reason Cornell is on there is because I'm currently shadowing a doctor who's on their admissions committee and I am sitting in on some of their M1 classes.

Any suggestions for mid tiers?

All four SUNYs are already on the list, haha. I don't particularly enjoy NY, but I don't mind it, and I think med schools in NY are more familiar with my university (Binghamton) since they get a lot of applicants from there. In fact, I think last year five people from my school got accepted to SUNY Upstate, and six to Downstate.

I feel you about Sinai, I guess I'll cut that. The only reason Cornell is on there is because I'm currently shadowing a doctor who's on their admissions committee and I am sitting in on some of their M1 classes.

Any suggestions for mid tiers?
That's awesome! Although no one wants to admit it, connections and networking can do amazing things for an application :). For some safety schools, you can look at : Temple, Drexel, Rosalind Franklin, Rush. Mid tiers I think you have a good/decent shot at: Miami, USC (The lower GPA isn't a dealbreaker, they like lots of community service + higher MCAT scores which you have), St. Louis University.

That's awesome! Although no one wants to admit it, connections and networking can do amazing things for an application :). For some safety schools, you can look at : Temple, Drexel, Rosalind Franklin, Rush. Mid tiers I think you have a good/decent shot at: Miami, USC (The lower GPA isn't a dealbreaker, they like lots of community service + higher MCAT scores which you have), St. Louis University.
Haha I'm not sure if the "safety schools" really exist for American MD schools, but I get what you're saying. Temple and Rosalind are already on my list, I appreciate the other suggestions!
Yeah connections are important in all areas of life basically, and it's hard to see medicine being an exception. Although maybe they have an outright policy that he would have to recuse himself from discussing my admission, I'm not sure. He's a very ethical guy.

Haha I'm not sure if the "safety schools" really exist for American MD schools, but I get what you're saying. Temple and Rosalind are already on my list, I appreciate the other suggestions!
Yeah connections are important in all areas of life basically, and it's hard to see medicine being an exception. Although maybe they have an outright policy that he would have to recuse himself from discussing my admission, I'm not sure. He's a very ethical guy.
My bad, I didn't see Rosalind/Temple on your list. And even if he doesn't directly advocate for you, the other adcom members will recognize his name on your app (Which I can only imagine to be a positive thing!)

My bad, I didn't see Rosalind/Temple on your list. And even if he doesn't directly advocate for you, the other adcom members will recognize his name on your app (Which I can only imagine to be a positive thing!)
I appreciate the help! Right now I have 22 schools on my list. Luckily I qualified for the fee waiver, and apparently this also means that most schools won't charge me a fee for the secondary app, so this process won't bankrupt my family, haha.

Reactions: 1 user
we run into each other again! We have pretty similar stats :) I'm just at 3.8 gpa 34 mcat.

Maybe Loyola, George Washington, Creighton?

Why is DO even on your list? Waste of money, I'd rid them. 22 schools is more than enough

Why would you cut Cornell and Sinai? I disagree with the advice above. Your stats seem to be within the range. You'll never know if you don't try.

Why would you cut Cornell and Sinai? I disagree with the advice above. Your stats seem to be within the range. You'll never know if you don't try.

Both are research-heavy schools. While his stats aren't too far out of their range, the lack of any research experience would most likely be a deal breaker. That being said, if I were him, I would apply to at least 2 top 20 schools just for fun.

No chance with zero research experience and those borderline stats for schools like those two. No reason to apply based on those two factors alone.

Why is DO even on your list? Waste of money, I'd rid them. 22 schools is more than enough
Just as a safety I guess - I only switched into pre-med only a year and a half ago so the idea that I actually have a decent chance of getting into med school without having to take a gap year is pretty shocking to me. I haven't even taken a look at the DO application though.

I'm definitely not bothering with the Caribbean though.

Goro suggest (if you're a NYer)

1. SUNY Upstate
2. Buffalo
4. Stonybrook
6. Tulane
Penn State
Drexel