3.7, 31 MCAT, CA resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaysuperman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non-trad. 25yr, and a CA resident. I'll preface that I'm missing ochem I and II with labs that I will be taking this summer. Already took the MCAT so nothing to worry about there other than low score...ironically it's not the Bio section. Also missing 2 BIO labs but will try and take those this fall and winter.

sGPA: 3.72
non-science: 3.68
Total GPA: 3.70
MCAT: 10/10/11

Iv'e got the EC activities. I won't list all of them but Iv'e got research for 4 years, 1 published paper, thousands of hours of volunteering at a hospital and plenty of shadowing. All the regular premed stuff too. Lots of community service too. I'm URM, but probably won't help me in CA much.

My list of schools if I get the impression that it's wise to apply this cycle.

All CA schools ( just because it's my preference and I think it's worth it)
UCLA
UC IRVINE
UCSF
USC
UCSD
UC DAVIS
UC RIVERSIDE ( I actually live in this region)
University of Colorado
Hofstra School of Medicine
Albany Medical College
U of Arizona College of Medicine
Rush Medical College
NY Medical College
OSU Medical College

I would like to make a better list but looking at the MSAR feeling a little sad with how low my MCAT actually is for most MD programs. Not really interested in DO, but will add some in if my shots are looking too low. I could also study and retake the MCAT. I think I could probably bring it up a little as I had a horrible PS section when my average was usually 12.

Members don't see this ad.

I count 8 schools where you have a fair to good shot at an interview. That's usually a little light for CA. 4 more good OOS and you are in business.

You have a very good chance at UCR, I guess you know!

Thanks for your reply. I'll have to search for some more OOS schools that I might be interested in attending. Iv'e used the MSAR but unfortunately I guess my selection choice is limited due to the lowish MCAT score.

Do you think it would just be better to retake the MCAT and apply next year? I have 1 science class prereq from a community college and I don't want to have to retake it just because a bunch of schools don't accept CC classes. I'm sure I could get a better MCAT score as I did not prepare adequately the first time around.

Other schools I have thought about.

Loyola
Tulane

I can't seem to find other OOS schools that are friendly to OOS applicants, have a 31 mcat within their median range and accept some CC too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Goro suggests

UCLA
UC DAVIS
Albany Medical College
Rush Medical College
NY Medical College
Loyola
Tulane
Rosy Franklin
MCW
SLU
Wake Forest
Tufts
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
All new MD schools
VCU
EVMS

Goro suggests

UCLA
UC DAVIS
Albany Medical College
Rush Medical College
NY Medical College
Loyola
Tulane
Rosy Franklin
MCW
SLU
Wake Forest
Tufts