3.7 GPA 26 MCAT Poor ECsDO chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnyellow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys i would like some input as to what my chances are for DO schools. As stated in the title i have a 3.7 GPA and an awesome 26 MCAT score :(... By doing some research I know those numbers are pretty much in line with what many students who get into DO have (i would say my GPA is a bit over the avg but not much). My issue is that my extracurriculars are not very impressive. I have a ton of shadowing experience and good letters of rec from a couple of the doctors i have shadowed. I also have some volunteering but not a lot. Here is my problem. Thats basically all i have. Is there any hope????
I always thought that i would make up for my lack of ECs with a solid MCAT score but the joke is on me :(
Anyway, any input will be greatly appreciated. I'll be applying for the next cycle. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

3.7/26 is competitive for most (though not all) DO schools. Apply to 10-15 schools of your liking.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think my ECs will hold me back?
not to the point of not getting in somewhere. But if you will not apply until next June anyway, why not do some more in the meantime?

That is definitely the plan but i will still not be the strongest applicant when it comes to that. Ive been giving it some thought to take the new mcat and try to raise my scores a bit... Is this a good idea or am i begining to lose touch with reality? Lol

You'll get IIs from lots of schools, but if you don't beef up the ECs, you're likely to be wait-listed. We do like seeing evidence that you know what you're getting into.

Hi guys i would like some input as to what my chances are for DO schools. As stated in the title i have a 3.7 GPA and an awesome 26 MCAT score :(... By doing some research I know those numbers are pretty much in line with what many students who get into DO have (i would say my GPA is a bit over the avg but not much). My issue is that my extracurriculars are not very impressive. I have a ton of shadowing experience and good letters of rec from a couple of the doctors i have shadowed. I also have some volunteering but not a lot. Here is my problem. Thats basically all i have. Is there any hope????
I always thought that i would make up for my lack of ECs with a solid MCAT score but the joke is on me :(
Anyway, any input will be greatly appreciated. I'll be applying for the next cycle. Thanks