3.70 cGPA, 3.58 sGPA, 35S MCAT [School List + When to Apply]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TRSTme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, sorry for the long post, but I'm looking for a little advice as to when (and where) would be best to apply. I know that earlier is usually best, but I'm currently taking a 9 credit summer research course which would (if I do well, which I'm very confident I shall) effectively boost my cGPA to a 3.72 and my sGPA to a 3.64, which is a pretty substantial increase from 3.58. The issue is I would only receive the grade at the very end of August, which could potentially hurt my chances. Would the wait be worth the risk?

Here's the rest of my stats, for context:

I'm a Canadian resident, which basically restricts me to applying to mainly mid/top-tier private schools. I'm an Honours Cell Biology major at a top-tier school here, which is well recognized in the U.S. (in the Northeast, at least). First time, non-URM applicant.

For MCAT: 35S (12PS 12VR 11BS). Although my GPAs are a relatively low for the schools below, there's been a huge upward trend (3.24 in first semester, with a 4.0 semester and two >3.85 semesters since).

ECs:

- Extensive experience working with often-neglected areas of society:
i) HIV/AIDS prevention and harm reduction work among street youth and intravenous drug users;
ii) Several years of teaching swimming lessons for children with special needs
iii) Experience facilitating workshops dealing with issues of gender, sexuality and sexual assault to first-year university students;
- A year of experience as a Medical First Responder for large events (>20,000 people);
- Assisted developing an innovative project to address a need for increased sexual education for high schools in my area;
- Several years of research experience (including a non-first author publication by the end of the summer);
- Served as President and (previously) Executive Committee Member of a small cancer research fund at school;
- Worked part time (15-20 hours of week), throughout the past 5 years of school;
- Student representative at Faculty of Science (discussed program/changes, student standing, university affairs, etc.);
- Hospital volunteering (not that that's unique in any way :p );
- Fluent in three languages (one of which was learnt in the past year and a half), currently working on a fourth (Mandarin);
- Various cultural and artistic endeavours, including a contribution to a (non-science) undergraduate journal.

Schools:

- Albert Einstein
- Boston University
- Columbia
- Dartmouth
- George Washington
- Mount Sinai
- NYU
- Northwestern
- UPenn
- Stanford
- Tufts
- UChicago (Pritzker)
- Brown
- Cornell

I know a lot of schools there are reaches (especially as a Canadian), but I feel like my application may be just unique enough to make up for the not so stellar GPA.

Chances? When to apply? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm ... I personally wouldn't risk it. You'd receive the grade in August, send the transcripts to AMCAS, get verified by AMCAS, receive secondaries from the schools, send them back, and then get confirmed by your schools. You be done with everything by mid-September at the earliest probably. And maybe be cutting it close to deadlines.

I would just apply then give an update letter if you don't happen to be getting interviews. I feel with your stats, you could get some interviews somewhere.

And also, your list is VERY top heavy. Add more mid/lower tiers.

While you have a strong robust list of EC's, I'm not sure they're as unique as you think they are. I'd definitely add in some lower tier schools, although I'm not familiar with schools that are Canadian-friendly so I can't say which.

Thanks a lot for your responses; I appreciate the feedback! I tried to get involved in activities I think are a little less "cookie cutter," but the average applicant on here is definitely impressive! :eek: I hope that with several good (and diverse) LORs and a strong personal statement (I believe I have some pretty compelling personal experiences with the medical system) I can get a few interviews, but I'll definitely look into adding more lower tier schools. The selection is pretty limited for international students though :(