3.7GPA 37R MCAT, concerned about ECs, very rough list of schools help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AxiomaticTruth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think those numbers put you in pretty well above that bar for UMass (my dream school, too. 17K for tuition and living expenses is the best). I would say for the EC's, though, the question would be what you were doing with your time. Especially once you went pre-med, I think they typically expect some outside work whether it's research or community service. I'd recommend you do some community service, try to beg your way into a short-term RA position nearby (you're going to have to mask that disdain for research. It really should have a place on your app), and do some shadowing. I don't know if this means taking your 10 hr/week of gym time and making it 5 hr/week instead, or whatever time management you do, but you still have time now. Don't just expect to fill up the resume after graduation.

The only thing that I would say looks 'bad' about your incomplete research project, it that it all happened freshman year which was your worst year statistically (and probably worst in many other ways, since you transferred). Maybe you weren't having a good time which leaked into your research. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, here.

I would add the 3 philly schools (Drexel, Temple, Jefferson).

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are good, but your EC's are EXTREMELY weak for your list of schools. You need to add some more state schools and lower tier private schools. I'd say still apply to the top-tier programs you have as dream programs, but don't be shocked if you don't get interviews at Yale or Vandy.

OOS tuition for those Florida schools is pretty high..

Schools like Yale/Columbia are probably more research-geared...And I did read that your research experience isn't "glowing." So, you will be a minority in their class. Could be good, but unlikely to help your cause in admissions, and you may find yourself behind if you get accepted, because a lot of these schools expect you to become involved in research, etc etc.

I think the school list is fine. you may consider adding more schools, but I'd do the research myself to see what schools I feel like I'd "FIT" in best. A large part of interviews is for people to weed out the 'crazies,' but more practically, to see if you'd be a good "fit" to their class. For example, I was a horrible fit at Dartmouth. LOL. not surprised.