3.8 29 MCAT California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Radicle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you have any clinical or non clinical volunteering? If you don't have either, I'd suggest waiting a year and applying next cycle.

If you do have both, I'd look into DO's and any new MD schools.

Do you have any clinical or non clinical volunteering? If you don't have either, I'd suggest waiting a year and applying next cycle.

Thanks for your prompt reply!
I'm a little confused...
Wouldn't my work with neurdegenerative research and awareness constitute clinical volunteering?
Also, I wasn't sure where to include the following: One of the physicians I had shadowed had me take vitals before bringing them back to the room (essentially act as a medical assistant) and then truly shadow during the rest of the patients visit. Would I include this as shadowing or clinical volunteer work?

Am I interpreting these experiences incorrectly?

Members don't see this ad :)
Clinical volunteering is essentially when you're actually working with actual patients.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, but it's not enough. You still have yet to show you know what you're getting into and that you really want to be around sick people. Also, any any shadowing experience is not volunteering. You need to demonstrate your altruism. The typical applicant has > 100 hrs of clinical volunteer work

Wouldn't my work with neurdegenerative research and awareness constitute clinical volunteering?
Also, I wasn't sure where to include the following: One of the physicians I had shadowed had me take vitals before bringing them back to the room (essentially act as a medical assistant) and then truly shadow during the rest of the patients visit. Would I include this as shadowing or clinical volunteer work?

Your numbers are fine for any DO school, new MD schools, and the low tiers.

Use that EMT license this summer and try to get at least 200hrs.

If you're not URM, the only realistic CA schools would be UCD, UCI, and loma linda (be aware of their lifestyle contract).

Other than that you'll need to apply to at least 20 schools farther east to have a good shot of getting in somewhere.

U Az, U Az-phoenix, Creighton, Loyola, RFU, MCW, Cincinnati, Toledo, Vermont, Albany, NYMC, Temple, GWU, VCU, EVMS, USF, UCF, etc...