WAMC (3.8/503)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hong Freak

Reaction score
Applying this cycle, I want to know my chances at MD school if possible. I could retake an Mcat on May but idk if I could improve 10+ point, or should I just volunteer on the weekend?

cGPA: 3.8
MCAT: 503 (128/121/127/127)
FL resident
ORM
Major: Biomedical science
I graduated early by a year.​
Clinical (paid)
  • MA in Ortho and Pain management (1000+ hours, 7 months)

Non-Clinical Volunteering
  • Sterile processing tech (100 hrs)
Research
  • Invent a machine, design an experiment, and present it at a conference (Not sure on the hours but its, 4 months)
Shadowing
  • 50 hour in primary care
  • Note sure if this count as shadowing but because I work as a MA, so I get to see/help out on some Pain management, Podiatrist, and Ortho surgery.
  • Also seen what some General surgeon does during Sterile processing tech.
LORs from science prof, nonscience prof, and doctor

Not sure if this matter:
I am Asian
Qualified for FAP
First in my mom side to go to college.

Members don't see this ad.

Your best chances for an MD school would be to retake and score +10 points. If you are set on applying in the upcoming cycle, you could apply to:

State Schools
Belmont (they have given interviews to lower stat applicants, however, there is a high degree of mission fit)
+ New medical schools opening in 2024

And DO schools, which I am not well versed in. I'm not sure your sterile processing tech is exactly the type of non-clinical volunteering that benefits your application. Getting some volunteer experience in a food closet, food bank, soup kitchen, homeless shelter, crisis home, etc. would be beneficial for your application. Do not just choose somewhere to get hours though. Go somewhere you can make a difference and benefit a community you want to assist. It will come up in interviews ;)

Also, will need a second science professor LOR to apply to most schools. Start looking into who you might want to ask for that.

Reactions: 1 user