3.85 GPA 30 MCAT Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vans42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

- 23 year old female
- Certified PATH Intl.Therapeutic Riding instructor, teaching for 6 months
- Volunteered for therapeutic riding programs for 5 years
- 2 years of independent undergraduate research and presented at undergraduate research conference
- Currently working as a research assistant in a stem cell research lab both conducting my own research and assisting other lab members (This experience will accumulate to 2 years)
- Will have two publications, but not before applications are completed, first author on one
- 40 hours of shadowing experience, will continue to add some more in
- Worked for two summers as a camp counselor at a residential camp for children and adults with disabilities
- Member of AXS the professional chemistry fraternity and was an officer for a year
- Tutored general chemistry for two years
- Backpacked independently through the UK for a month
- I graduated in May 2012
- GPA 3.85, MCAT 30 (11PS, 11VR, 8BS)

I moved to Texas and will be a resident, so I am applying to:
-UT Houston
-UT Galveston
-UT Southwestern
-UT San Antonio
- Texas A&M
- Texas Tech
- Texas Tech at El Paso
- University of North Texas School of Osteopathic medicine

Through AMCAS I will be applying to:
- BU
- Tufts
- Dartmouth
- Brown (Alpert)
- University of Rochester medical school
- SUNY Stony Brook
- George Washington
- Georgetown
- Baylor
- UNC at Chapel Hill

Thank you for your time and thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd scratch UNC at Chapel Hill from your list... Less than 14% OOS students accepted/year. Luckily you're a TX resident, so you have a great shot of getting into TX schools. I'd apply to as many TX schools as you can and build from there.

Thanks! Any other thoughts from anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, you have pretty good stats and ECs so congratulations on your hard work and getting this far!

Definitely apply to all of the Texas schools since you are a resident. Your list of OOS schools seems a bit too top heavy to me and I would try to add in some low/mid-tier OOS private schools if you can afford to (given that you would attend if accepted).

A friend of mine just got accepted to two medical schools with your same stats (3.85 & 30). He didn't have any publications but had done a couple years of research and went on two medical missions to S. America somewhere. He got into Miami and one of the Texas schools (not a resident of texas). Hope this is encouraging!

Does anyone have any other thoughts especially regarding Texas schools? I didn't realize how great it would be to be a resident here (in regards to medical school) when I decided to move.

Does anyone have any other thoughts especially regarding Texas schools? I didn't realize how great it would be to be a resident here (in regards to medical school) when I decided to move.
Yes, Texas matriculates 36.6% of it's IS applicants. It is exceeded only by OK (36.7%), VT (37%), ND (37.6%), KS (37.8), LA (38.6), NE (40.6), SC (40.5), KY (41.1), AR (44.2), PR (45.6), AL (48.2) and the winner: W. Virginia at 52.2%!

Your stats look wonderful. I know plenty of people that have lower MCAT score than you have and got interviews.

One thing I've heard your major and background (URM etc) makes a big difference too. I'm from TX as well and know people with lower stats compared to others that got in based on their:

1) Major: for example... an Art Major with a 26 MCAT got into Baylor MS
2) Ethnicity/Race: URM

However, I'm from a overly represented ethnicity group but I have a unique background and major and a great GPA. Taking my MCAT in a month though. I really hope I get in!

Yes, Texas matriculates 36.6% of it's IS applicants. It is exceeded only by OK (36.7%), VT (37%), ND (37.6%), KS (37.8), LA (38.6), NE (40.6), SC (40.5), KY (41.1), AR (44.2), PR (45.6), AL (48.2) and the winner: W. Virginia at 52.2%!

Wait I thought the Texas IS matriculation percentage was more like 92%?!

Wait I thought the Texas IS matriculation percentage was more like 92%?!

I believe what gyngyn meant was that about 36.6% of TX resident applicants are accepted to and matriculate to TX schools. Meaning if you are a TX resident and apply to TX schools you have about a 36.6% chance or more of getting accepted. (which are phenomenal odds!)

the 92% you are referring to would be the % of total matriculants that are residents of TX. (which just shows heavy IS preference)

Reactions: 1 user