3.87gpa 26mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cedarjet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Please, I need your help in whether to retake the mcat or not. As stated I have 3.87gpa, 26 mcat, and CA resident. Not URM, I am white.

ECs are as follow:
- youth basketball head coach (4+ years) I am running the co-running the league now.
-Syrian Refugee camp over winter break=50hrs
-ER volunteer=200+hours
-Red Cross Blood Bank=50hrs
-Medical Lab=100hrs
-Shadowing Nephrologists=50hrs+
-City employee-500hrs+
-Homeless shelter=20hrs+
-Tutor university students and underprivileged children 2x a week=100hrs+
-Leader for a science summer camp for underprivileged children-100hrs+
-Independent research project under the wings of my professor=2years (plan to publish by summer)
-Also in a frat. Alpha Kappa Lambda

I know my chances at MD school are pretty weak, but what about DO school, specifically Western University in Pomona. Their averages are 28 and 3.51. Will by slightly higher gpa counteract my low mcat?

Thanks all in advance
-cedarjet

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Please, I need your help in whether to retake the mcat or not. As stated I have 3.87gpa, 26 mcat, and CA resident. Not URM, I am white.

ECs are as follow:
- youth basketball head coach (4+ years) I am running the co-running the league now.
-ER volunteer=200+hours
-Medical Lab=100hrs
-City employee-500hrs+
-Homeless shelter=20hrs+
-Independent research project under the wings of my professor=2years (plan to publish by summer)

I know my chances at MD school are pretty weak, but what about DO school, specifically Western University in Pomona. Their averages are 28 and 3.51. Will by slightly higher gpa counteract my low mcat?

Thanks all in advance
-cedarjet
Do you feel like you hit your ceiling when you got the score of 26? Or did you prepare inadequately, feel ill, or have serious matters distracting you from a better performance? If MD is important to you, and you feel you have the potential to score at least three points higher, then retaking would make a difference in MD school consideration.

You are an excellent candidate for DO schools in general. Usually higher GPA can help compensate for a lower MCAT score, but I can't speak as to how things are done at Western.

I think you could have a shot a western because of that GPA and you have cool ECs.

You would obviously have a better shot with an improved MCAT. Do you think you could improve by 3 points?

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats the mcat break down

You will get accepted at DO your ECs are great and your gpa is high. Trust me even if your break down is like 10/6/10 or something apply to 5 DO and some MD good luck !!

I have similar stats like you. I'm thinking about taking the MCAT again to increase my chances. My EC are average compared to yours and your GPA is better than mine so you're in better shape than me.

You should be fine for Western, less so for Touro-CA, but also fine for many other DO schools.

Hello,

ECs are as follow:
-ER volunteer=200+hours
-Medical Lab=100hrs
-City employee-500hrs+
-Homeless shelter=20hrs+

Thanks all in advance
-cedarjet

Well done on getting this far! Looks like your app would be great for DO schools as is. In terms of MD, the only thing (on paper) holding you back is your MCAT score. I wouldn't bother applying to a single MD school with your current score. If you are set on MD then retake and if you get a 30+ you're in good shape for MD. Good luck with everything!