26MCAT, c3.97, s3.9. Should I retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabmedstudent12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I obviously feel comfortable with my c3.97 GPA but not confident in my 26 MCAT that I took in January. Should I go ahead and retake or will I still be competitive because my GPA is high? Will my GPA and extracurriculars outweigh a new MCAT score since the new test so.. new? My extracurriculars are good.
>500 hours as ER scribe
>200 Community service hours
>300 hours of research in Organic Chem
5o hours of job shadowing
Helped create a community service club on campus and served as President
A couple other leadership positions

Members don't see this ad.

are you going for MD or DO?

either way probably retake the mcat

Members don't see this ad :)

Unless you live in a very luck state(ie North Dakota or Mississippi or West Virginia esque) it's in your best interest to retake. Even then a 26 is enough to simply not get you eliminated; the odds you face will still not be that favorable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Retake if you want MD. You are OK if you want DO.

Reactions: 3 users
If you apply strictly MD you're probably in for a bad time. You have a slim chance if you're an incredible writer with a lot of $$$ for 25+ strategic school applications. You should seriously apply DO and save yourself a year's worth of sitting on your hands and spare yourself from the new MCAT. You're a lock for good options for DO schools.

If I were you I'd apply to your state MD schools, any MD schools with low 10th percentile MCAT scores without heavy in-state bias (assuming it's out of state), and the rest DO.

What happens if you don't get in this cycle, take the new MCAT, don't do so hot, and find yourself with the MD-only attitude next year, too? Worst case scenario - you could be kicking yourself 3 years from now when you start your program wondering why you didn't just start medical school when you could have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Retake MCAT and get ~30 or higher. Then you have good chance for mid-tier/low-tier schools. If you can get 35+, you might have a shot at top-tier. (Translate to MCAT2015 scores).

I think it depends what you were getting on the practice tests. If you were getting 30s and then just had a break down or a fluke bad test on the real MCAT, then take the MCAT again, without a doubt. If you were consistently getting in the 20s on your practice tests, then maybe the MCAT isn't for you, in which case I would go DO.