3.88 GPA, 34 MCAT - where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hippocrates4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for schools that I would have a good shot at getting into. Anyone have any ideas or advice?

Stats:
3.88 cGPA
34 MCAT
Good EC's
California resident

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should get MSAR and sort schools that way

Reactions: 1 user
I second @Pookie9000 . Buy the MSAR (link below) and look at schools who have median MCAT/GPA's similar to yours. You can also read about the schools' missions, EC's they value, etc. Also apply to a few schools with median stats lower than yours, and a few with median stats higher than yours ('reach' schools, ie. top 20 & 10 schools). Definitely apply to a bunch of UC's .. but keep in mind they are insanely competitive. Good luck.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/requirements/msar/

Members don't see this ad :)
You have great stats. Obviously apply to all of the california schools, and with that pot alone i'm sure you will land an acceptance.

You have great stats. Obviously apply to all of the california schools, and with that pot alone i'm sure you will land an acceptance.

This is awful, overly optimistic advice. OPT has good stats, but California schools are some of the hardest to get into. I mean, 4 of the 8 California schools have average MCATs of 36.

Invest in the MSAR and cast a wide net!

Reactions: 2 users
This is awful, overly optimistic advice. OPT has good stats, but California schools are some of the hardest to get into. I mean, 4 of the 8 California schools have average MCATs of 36.

I agree.

OP, apply to every single CA school obviously (Loma Linda based on how you feel). However, apply to at least 20 OOS schools.

Some OOS schools that are open to CA residents that I think you should apply to are VCU, NYMC, EVMS, SLU, Drexel. A lot of these schools will ask why our school and our geographic area since you're a CA resident. Just make sure you do some research about the schools and write a decent secondary and you'll have a great shot.

I understand where you are coming from but a 34 is only 2 pts below a 36... do you think that makes a difference?

I understand where you are coming from but a 34 is only 2 pts below a 36... do you think that makes a difference?

While it is by no means impossible to get into a school with a below average MCAT, being deficient in terms of MCAT score just gives the school another reason to reject you.

You're a solid applicant who should be able to land an acceptance at a mid-tier MD. Apply to 15 schools and include a few reaches along with a few safeties. Don't apply to UCR if you're not interested in working in the Inland Empire. Loma Linda is for Seventh-day Adventists and has an extensive moral code that many would find suffocating, although you can go there if you're of a different faith.

Your LizzyM score is darn near identical to mine, since we have very similar stats (I have >3.9, 33). You can take a look at my MDApps to see where I applied and had success, if that would be helpful! :)

I would agree with @Person0715 that while your stats are good and I'd be surprised if you didn't get any California love at all, putting all of your eggs into the California med school basket is NEVER a good idea. When each individual school has an acceptance rate of ~2-4%, you can never take anything for granted. At almost all of my interviews, I saw a lot of Californians, many of whom were lamenting their lack of IS interviews. Apply to a wide range of schools! But I have confidence that you will find success with those numbers and good ECs.

I'm looking for schools that I would have a good shot at getting into. Anyone have any ideas or advice?

Stats:
3.88 cGPA
34 MCAT
Good EC's
California resident
Consider Ohio State, Cincinnati. They take a decent number of OOS students. I believe it's fairly easy to become an Ohio resident after a year to get the cheaper tuition too.

Thank you all for the input, I posted this back in February and was surprised to find alerts on my profile to this post in December! Just so you all know, I applied very broad but California showed me some love and I look forward staying in the Golden State for another 4 years. Thanks again everyone, good luck to all of you applying.