3.89 GPA, 34 (10,13,11) Tradiotional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

14app91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, just wanted to get your opinions on my application, and some specific schools.
MCAT score is 34 with a 10/13/11 Split
GPA: 3.89
-Volunteering: 300+ hours. This includes: Hospice, clinical, and non-clinical (soup kitchen)
-Shadowing: ~50 hours (primary care physician).
-A year and a half of ESL tutoring (through an NGO), also a non paid position.
-(Bench) Research assistant for over two years, however no publications.
-Worked on a continuing study for roughly four months (a lot of patient interaction). Publication likely.
-Worked part-time (retail) roughly 30 hours a week, throughout college, including the school year.
-MCAT (verbal) instructor, for past few months (roughly 5 hours per week).
-Immigrated to the United States around the age of 15 and first in my family to attend college (these will probably have no affect on my app, but just in case).

--I think that's everything. Due to personal reasons I'd like to stay near home, so my list of schools isn't very expansive. Just as a side note most of my secondary apps were complete first week of Sept (took MCAT in Aug.) Anyway, enough rambling, and here's the list. Thanks in advance! :)

-Jefferson
-Drexel
-Temple
-NJMS
-UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson
-Cooper
-Penn State
-UPenn (I know lol, just for the heck of it)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, just wanted to get your opinions on my application, and some specific schools.
MCAT score is 34 with a 10/13/11 Split
GPA: 3.89
-Volunteering: 300+ hours. This includes: Hospice, clinical, and non-clinical (soup kitchen)
-Shadowing: ~50 hours (primary care physician).
-A year and a half of ESL tutoring (through an NGO), also a non paid position.
-(Bench) Research assistant for over two years, however no publications.
-Worked on a continuing study for roughly four months (a lot of patient interaction). Publication likely.
-Worked part-time (retail) roughly 20 hours a week, throughout college, including the school year.
-MCAT (verbal) instructor, for past few months (roughly 5 hours per week).
-Immigrated to the United States around the age of 15 and first in my family to attend college (these will probably have no affect on my app, but just in case).

--I think that's everything. Due to personal reasons I'd like to stay near home, so my list of schools isn't very expansive. Just as a side note most of my secondary apps were complete first week of Sept (took MCAT in Aug.) Anyway, enough rambling, and here's the list. Thanks in advance! :)

-Jefferson
-Drexel
-Temple
-NJMS
-UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson
-Cooper
-Penn State
-UPenn (I know lol, just for the heck of it)
Not including the clinical research gig, how would you break down your volunteering hours-wise between clinical and nonclinical? And how many months did it take you to accumulate the clinical hours?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not including the clinical research gig, how would you break down your volunteering hours-wise between clinical and nonclinical? And how many months did it take you to accumulate the clinical hours?

Clinical: ~100
Non-clinical ~200+
Tutoring: 2+ hours per week.
It's taken me roughly 2 and a half years to accumulate these hours. Non-clinical are ongoing. Thank you for taking the time!

Clinical: ~100
Non-clinical ~200+
Tutoring: 2+ hours per week.
It's taken me roughly 2 and a half years to accumulate these hours. Non-clinical are ongoing. Thank you for taking the time!
Along with the clinical research time, I think you're in decent shape for active patient experience. The nonmedical community service hours are very good. The shadowing is about average. The research is well above average involvement. I'm not seeing peer leadership (was there maybe something through work that you mentioned?). This isn't required, but certainly strengthens an application. Overall, I think you should be in good shape. Limiting your application list isn't a great idea, of course, but assuming verbal fluency, good interview skills, no legal issues, and supportive LORs, I think your chances are very good.

Along with the clinical research time, I think you're in decent shape for active patient experience. The nonmedical community service hours are very good. The shadowing is about average. The research is well above average involvement. I'm not seeing peer leadership (was there maybe something through work that you mentioned?). This isn't required, but certainly strengthens an application. Overall, I think you should be in good shape. Limiting your application list isn't a great idea, of course, but assuming verbal fluency, good interview skills, no legal issues, and supportive LORs, I think your chances are very good.

Yes, leadership wise, I've been in a managerial position at both places in which I've worked (opening, closing restaurant/store, running my own shifts) but other than that not much else unfortunately. But thank you very much for your input, feedback is always great.