WAMC/School list 3.89 (s3.75) /513 + retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carbocation345

Reaction score
1 cGPA: 3.89; sGPA: 3.75
2 513 (127,128, 128, 131) --> 512 (128, 129, 129, 127) (a drop and considering retaking in 3 months - help pls!)
3 Virginia residence; Texas college
4 Black female (grew up in Lagos - site for gap year research)
5 Attend Small research University
6 Weekly Hospice volunteer (2 years)
7 3 years of research + 1 summer of research; won award at conference (1 year emotional regulation, 2 years cancer research, 1 year med humanities research)
8 Shadowed three doctors (neurosurgery, neurology, oncology)
9 Teach weekly ESL classes with on-campus cleaning staff (English to Spanish Speakers and Nigerian student)
10 Heavy student government; Head of Diversity and Inclusion on campus, Tour guide, medical Spanish study abroad; EY-Parthenon summer consulting internship
11 Some honor roll; Questbridge Scholar; Semifinalist for Fulbright research (gap year); some campus awards, outstanding undergraduate presentation (research)
12 Work with local eating disorder nonprofit after expanding campus dining hours with student government and brought resources and providers to campus mental health/ counseling center; restarted campus Cog Sci honors society alone; 2 spring break health service research projects; participation in health policy competitions
- Spanish Certificate and medical humanities minor

Need to figure out realistic school list and what to focus on before this June (applying this cycle) strongly considering retaking MCAT!! Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You don't need to retake the MCAT. What networking have you done with schools or organizations that mentor aspiring Black physicians, such as SNMA?

Make sure most of your clinical experiences are in the United States. If you wind up being out of the US for your gap experience, how will you handle interviews (online and in-person follow-ups)? You may want to add a few hours of shadowing primary care physicians.

In addition to your Virginia schools (MD and DO), add the HBCU schools. As a medical humanities minor, you should also know which medical schools have strong electives in this area should you want to continue.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need to retake the MCAT. What networking have you done with schools or organizations that mentor aspiring Black physicians, such as SNMA?

Make sure most of your clinical experiences are in the United States. If you wind up being out of the US for your gap experience, how will you handle interviews (online and in-person follow-ups)? You may want to add a few hours of shadowing primary care physicians.

In addition to your Virginia schools (MD and DO), add the HBCU schools. As a medical humanities minor, you should also know which medical schools have strong electives in this area should you want to continue.
Thanks for the feedback, I have not done mentoring, what exactly should I be doing please, how will this actually help with admissions?
Why is it important to shadow primary care physicians, too?

You do not need to retake the MCAT. How many hours of shadowing and how many hours of hospice do you have?
200+ of hospice and 50+ of shadowing, I plan to shadow more in march and april. I am concerned the weakest part of my application is my MCAT

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
200+ of hospice and 50+ of shadowing, I plan to shadow more in march and april
I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
West Virginia
Howard
Georgetown
Duke
Emory
Miami
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
U Michigan
Case Western
Cincinnati
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Dartmouth
Brown
Harvard
Yale
Boston University
Tufts
Mayo
Kaiser
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Thanks for the feedback, I have not done mentoring, what exactly should I be doing please, how will this actually help with admissions?
Why is it important to shadow primary care physicians, too?
Many organizations help with giving admissions insights about their specific programs, especially as minority students and residents. Some have arranged for free or reduced cost MCAT prep. A lot of your focus in medical school is understanding and shadowing primary care.