3.89c GPA, 31 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoonToBeDrG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Trying to gauge my options here. I'm a reapplicant this year, only got one interview last year (partially due to the fact my transcript got "lost in the mail" for 4 months until late September). Technically graduated UC San Diego with 3.89c/3.87s with low-to-moderate ECs. Worked at a few labs and started working at a UCSF lab about a month ago.

EC's include ~300 hours interning through Palomar Health Pathmaker Internship, ~50 hours shadowing my former pediatrician, co-founding and VPing a club dedicated to fundraising for volunteer trips to Nicaragua, part- and full-time jobs throughout college (Scripps Institute for Oceanography, UCSD Pediatrics, small start-up biotech).

This was last years medical schools that I received a secondary from (between Oct and Dec):

Albany
UCSD
UCLA
UCSF
UCD
Medical College of Wisconsin
Keck
NYMC
Stanford
Drexl
Hofstra
Rosalind Franklin
SLU

I feel I applied far out of my reach and want to apply more realistically this time around. Any advice?

Edit: It may also be worth noting my MCAT was slightly irregular at VR 13, PS 8, BS 10.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Definitely get you app in much earlier this year. Aim to be complete at your schools by late July-mid August. Also, apply to more schools within your LizzyM score. Good luck!

I applied this year with a slightly higher MCAT and slightly lower GPA, and got into 4 of the schools on your list. I think applying late is the killer. For me, your school list would be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'll probably be fine if you get your app in early enough. Might want to add a few schools. Virginia, Tulane, Penn State, Eastern Virginia, NYMC, UVM, Wake Forest.

What's your sGPA?

Goro suggests

Albany
Medical College of Wisconsin
NYMC
Drexl
Hofstra
Rosalind Franklin
SLU
MCW
Rush
Loyola
Penn state
Wake Forest
Temple
Tufts
Jefferson
VCU
EVMS
All other new MD schools except Central MI
Any DO school (TUCOM-CA and Western are in your backyard)

Thanks for the advice everyone! Unfortunately it sounds like I'm not quite competitive enough to stay within my own state. I suppose that's what I get for not buckling down for another round of MCATs.

I think you'll probably be fine if you get your app in early enough. Might want to add a few schools. Virginia, Tulane, Penn State, Eastern Virginia, NYMC, UVM, Wake Forest.

What's your sGPA?

Edit: It may also be worth noting my MCAT was slightly irregular at VR 13, PS 8, BS 10.

Last edited:
I've decided to most likely not reapply to UCLA this year, although I will at UCSF as a super reach and considering I now work here (as if that helps). UC Davis was my only interview last round in February so I'm hoping to get one much earlier this time around and wow their pants off.