3.9, 33 MCAT, School Selections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted671237

Redacted for application*

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Care to elaborate? I know some of those are reaches….
If you have the MSAR, you won't need to guess which 4 (maybe 5) they are.
The MCAT is the metric by which students from different schools are compared.
You also need to consider the size of the class and regional/pipeline preferences and the application pool for each school..

Though you could easily eliminate at least 5 schools from your list without changing your odds for success, it is normal to have some "reaches." You need a few more targets, though.

Thanks, I'll look into the MSAR. Is a balanced 33 really that bad though? Combined with that GPA I should be above the 90% percentile for applicants, right?

Thanks, I'll look into the MSAR. Is a balanced 33 really that bad though? Combined with that GPA I should be above the 90% percentile for applicants, right?
33 is a fine score. When you consider that the median of several schools on your list is 35 or greater, with EC's to match...
You are a very good candidate for Tulane, for example. But you can't count on any single school.

Definitely go get your hands on the MSAR.

I would scratch NYU, BU, and USC off your list and add more mid-tear schools ... schools that have an MCAT median +/- 2 your 33.

btw, I am an applying next cycle with almost exact stats as you... very different EC's tho...

Reactions: 1 user
You have a few schools on your list that are very research oriented (Harvard, Columbia, NYU) and you don't have any research. I think that is what is holding you back from those schools, not necessarily your MCAT (although, their averages are all around 35). I think you should save the money you would spend on those secondary apps and use it for schools that are more within your range and not as research-oriented. MSAR!

Reactions: 2 users
You have a few schools on your list that are very research oriented (Harvard, Columbia, NYU) and you don't have any research. I think that is what is holding you back from those schools, not necessarily your MCAT (although, their averages are all around 35). I think you should save the money you would spend on those secondary apps and use it for schools that are more within your range and not as research-oriented. MSAR!

Thanks for the answer man. Yeah my lack of research is really scaring me, most schools on the MSAR have 70%> research in undergrad and the top 20 have >85%. It's not even that I am averse to research, I just couldn't find the time and was burned with two opportunities I had. Maybe I will try to find something for the rest of this semester/summer to beef up my app. I am removing Harvard and USC. I don't see why the others are impossible.

Thanks for the answer man. Yeah my lack of research is really scaring me, most schools on the MSAR have 70%> research in undergrad and the top 20 have >85%. It's not even that I am averse to research, I just couldn't find the time and was burned with two opportunities I had. Maybe I will try to find something for the rest of this semester/summer to beef up my app. I am removing Harvard and USC. I don't see why the others are impossible.

I hear you, man. Finding time for my research has been a constant struggle but I had to make it a priority because I love it.

I understand that you aren't averse to research but Colombia is not going to know that! You have nothing to show for the research-oriented students they look for and, consequently, might breeze over your application.

UNLESS, you have some awesome, creative life-experiences and a great story... which you may very well have! :) just know the facts and be smart when applying... unless money isn't a thing for you.

Redacted for Applying*

Reactions: 1 user