519/3.9 WAMC + School List Help :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peachyogurt

Reaction score
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE

Hi everyone!! I'm looking for help curating/trimming down my school list to ~25-30 schools + adding any schools that may be a good fit. I'm also open to any feedback on my application. Thank you for your help in advance!
  • cGPA and sGPA
    • cGPA: 3.91; sGPA: 3.85
  • MCAT
    • 519 (128/129/130/132)
  • State of residence
    • Michigan
  • Race
    • Asian female; ORM
  • Undergrad
    • T30
  • Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    • ~450 hours total
    • ~275 hours working at a Home Health Clinic as a Nurse's Aide (unpaid)
    • ~120 hours working as a Medical Assistant at a Pediatrics Office (paid)
    • ~64 hours working as a patient sitter (paid)
  • Research
    • 1500+ hours
    • 2 mid-author publications
    • 2 oral presentations
  • Shadowing
    • ~120 hours across 5 specialties
  • Non-clinical volunteering
    • ~120 hours through a community service-oriented club
  • Other extracurricular activities
    • ~300 hours study group facilitator (promoted to course leader) (paid)
    • ~100 hours as a tutor to disenfranchised students on campus (paid)
    • ~100 hours Leadership role for a community service club
    • ~300 hours Leadership role in cancer fundraising club
    • ~75 hours as a peer mentor for a cohort of 10 freshmen helping them navigate college through a mentorship program (unpaid) (would this be considered non-clinical volunteering)
    • ~80 hours as an orientation leader (paid)
    • Other clubs include baking, a cultural club, and a religious club
  • Relevant honors or awards
    • Won facilitator of the year
    • Merit scholarship for my freshman year
    • Dean's list
  • Additional info
    • I took an online physics class at a community college in 2022. Would this negatively impact my chances anywhere? I've seen COVID policies that only take online classes from 2020-2021.
Tentative School List (writing down every school I could possible apply to):
  1. Michigan
  2. Michigan State
  3. Oakland Beaumont
  4. Wayne State
  5. Western Michigan
  6. Central Michigan
  7. UPenn
  8. Columbia
  9. Duke
  10. Stanford
  11. UCSF
  12. Weill Cornell
  13. WashU in St. Louis
  14. University of Virginia
  15. Icahn
  16. Case Western
  17. University of Rochester
  18. USF Morsani
  19. Brown
  20. Emory
  21. Donald and Barbara Zucker at Hofstra
  22. UCLA
  23. Boston University
  24. UColorado
  25. Drexel
  26. Nova Southeastern
  27. Seton Hall Hackensack
  28. Rosalind Franklin
  29. Albert Einstein
  30. University of Vermont
  31. George Washington
  32. Eastern Virginia
  33. Penn State
  34. Dartmouth
  35. University of Cincinnati
  36. New York Medical College
  37. USC Keck
  38. Sidney Kimmel
  39. Wake Forest
  40. Virginia Commonwealth
  41. University of Miami
  42. Quinnipiac University
  43. Albany Medical College
  44. Lewis Katz
  45. Medical College of Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad.

On the whole things look solid except for the non-clinical hours where you're a bit low; see if you can get 30ish more hours to hit the minimum 150 hours to avoid getting screened out (as many others will say). For reference, the peer mentor thing DOES NOT really count; look into more volunteering outside of campus. What sort of service did you do through your campus club?

Was the physics class one that you intend to count for your pre-reqs? And was the lab also online?

For the most part your list looks fine, it's just long. Try and bring it down to no more than 30, with an even balance of reaches and matches (i.e. not all T20s!)

On the whole things look solid except for the non-clinical hours where you're a bit low; see if you can get 30ish more hours to hit the minimum 150 hours to avoid getting screened out (as many others will say). For reference, the peer mentor thing DOES NOT really count; look into more volunteering outside of campus. What sort of service did you do through your campus club?

Was the physics class one that you intend to count for your pre-reqs? And was the lab also online?

For the most part your list looks fine, it's just long. Try and bring it down to no more than 30, with an even balance of reaches and matches (i.e. not all T20s!)
Ooh I didn't know that they might screen out sub-150 non-clinical hours -- I'll work on that, thanks!

My club does a lot of volunteering at homeless shelters, food pantries, and cleaning up trash around campus and in urban areas.

Yes, it is one of my pre-reqs and the lab was also online. I took it because it was cheaper and the the physics classes offered at my university clashed with my work schedule. Do you think that might be a problem?

Members don't see this ad :)
  • ~120 hours through a community service-oriented club
As pointed out, avoid getting screened-out by getting closer to 150 hours. However, with your metrics and some of the schools you are interested in, the more you get (closer to 250+), the more "average" your application will look compared to others in those applicant pools. You don't want to be at the tail of the peloton. Also, many of your activities are associated with student organizations, so having a service orientation activity that is a bit more independent of a student club will show that you aren't doing community service because you were part of a club or organization on campus. I am fully aware of "community service days" run by universities.

Also fundraising does not constitute a "service orientation" activity. Please describe your specific responsibilities with your 120 hours above.

What assistance are you getting from your prehealth team at your institution? What feedback have you received?

Obviously, the in-state options must be in play, but be aware of the mission-specific nuances of each school. You should not be yield-protected from your in-state programs, but you could be rejected for a mismatch in mission fit. You do have many non-MI programs listed that will likely yield-protect you unless you communicate a strong mission fit.

Read

As pointed out, avoid getting screened-out by getting closer to 150 hours. However, with your metrics and some of the schools you are interested in, the more you get (closer to 250+), the more "average" your application will look compared to others in those applicant pools. You don't want to be at the tail of the peloton. Also, many of your activities are associated with student organizations, so having a service orientation activity that is a bit more independent of a student club will show that you aren't doing community service because you were part of a club or organization on campus. I am fully aware of "community service days" run by universities.

Also fundraising does not constitute a "service orientation" activity. Please describe your specific responsibilities with your 120 hours above.

What assistance are you getting from your prehealth team at your institution? What feedback have you received?

Obviously, the in-state options must be in play, but be aware of the mission-specific nuances of each school. You should not be yield-protected from your in-state programs, but you could be rejected for a mismatch in mission fit. You do have many non-MI programs listed that will likely yield-protect you unless you communicate a strong mission fit.

Read
Hi! Thanks for the input, I appreciate it! That's super interesting - do you have any specific schools in mind that might yield-protect me if I don't have a strong mission fit?

Also, sorry for any confusion, the service-oriented club and cancer fundraising are totally separate. With those 120 hours, most of them come from the community service club that involves directly working (no fundraising), mainly the stuff that I listed in the reply to the comment above. I also have a few hours working as a facilitator for a sexual assault support group. Hope that clears things up!

Hi! Thanks for the input, I appreciate it! That's super interesting - do you have any specific schools in mind that might yield-protect me if I don't have a strong mission fit?
Others should help with this, but you should have access to the MSAR.

Read