3.9 cGPA, 3.85 sGPA, 33Q, CA resident -- School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SicEmBears

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Leadership: AFROTC, many positions in fraternity

Service: Uganda missions trips for 3 summers, fed homeless in LA for a summer, various service projects throughout past jobs and in AFROTC and fraternity

Clinical Experience: one trip to Uganda did HIV testing for 400+ children, Haiti medical missions trip, volunteered at Cerebral Palsy Home

Research: Did own research project for semester, did poster and oral presentations

Shadowing: 15 hours of spinal surgeon, 7 hours maxillofacial surgeon

Other: jobs in facilities management, youth ministries, bible study leader for 2 years, and I sing!

I know im weak in the shadowing aspect, but my family has spent lots of time in the hospital (lens implant, 5 surgeries on broken leg, cancer, hernia surgery, heart surgery) so ive spent a ton of time in the hospital. Look over my list and please give me suggestions! im looking for about 3 more schools (parents said they would pay for 20 and some on list are iffy). Thanks so much :luck:

Baylor College of Medicine
UCLA and UCLA Drew
USC
Loma Linda (maybe)
Stanford
USUHS (military school)
UCSD
UCSF
UCD
UCI
Vanderbilt
Tulane
Vermont
NYU
Emory
Jefferson
U of AZ - Tuscon
Rush (Spinal surgeon that I know very well wants to write me a rec letter there because he went there)

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Refurbished List:
Take out Loma Linda and add UNC (my mom is making me apply there, she controls the money so i have to accept haha)

Can someone please look at my list and give me suggestions if it is too top-heavy or anything and suggest any other schools? Thanks!!

The average listed for shadowings is 50 hours. Can you squeeze in 15 to 20 additional hours before submitting, including at least a day with a primary care physician?

I can try! I'm guessing submitting a few days later doesn't really make a difference right now, correct? Im still planning on submitting in the next couple days, I guess as soon as I get that shadowing done.

Members don't see this ad :)
You seem to have quite a bit of non-medical service so I would look into the Jesuit schools (Creighton, Georgetown, Loyola Stritch, and St. Louis). Often they will take applicants with less clinical experience who have a strong record of community service. Your stats are also at or slightly above the median for accepted students at all of them. I would also think about replacing Arizona Tuscon with Arizona Phoenix. One of the admission reps who I talked to said that Arizona Phoenix is generally more OOS-friendly. Also maybe add some more mid-tier schools like Albany, NYMC, Drexel, Oakland, Toledo, and Rosalind Franklin. As for the timing, a couple days will make very little difference. I wouldn't wait more than a week or two though, as the verification time for AMCAS is slowly getting longer.

You seem to have quite a bit of non-medical service so I would look into the Jesuit schools (Creighton, Georgetown, Loyola Stritch, and St. Louis). Often they will take applicants with less clinical experience who have a strong record of community service. Your stats are also at or slightly above the median for accepted students at all of them. I would also think about replacing Arizona Tuscon with Arizona Phoenix. One of the admission reps who I talked to said that Arizona Phoenix is generally more OOS-friendly. Also maybe add some more mid-tier schools like Albany, NYMC, Drexel, Oakland, Toledo, and Rosalind Franklin. As for the timing, a couple days will make very little difference. I wouldn't wait more than a week or two though, as the verification time for AMCAS is slowly getting longer.

Thanks! Those are some great suggestions. I'm really interested in creighton, albany and NYMC now so I will look more into those.

Thanks! Those are some great suggestions. I'm really interested in creighton, albany and NYMC now so I will look more into those.

I will likely be matriculating at Creighton and was accepted to NYMC, and I really liked both schools. I would definitely look into them.