3.9 sGPA, 31 MCAT Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crosscountry123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So I just got my MCAT back and I got a 31 on it (VR 9, PS 11, BS 11). Its not as good as I was hoping for or what I was getting on my practice tests, so I'm kind of bummed about it to be honest.

I plan to apply during this upcoming cycle and I think the rest of my application is pretty solid. I am a senior at a top 50 school, have a 3.9 sGPA, 2 years of research experience in a faculty lab working on my own projects (did a couple of posters and a talk at a conference, but no publications), 6 months of full time experience working in the immunology dept at a major pharmaceutical company (poster), a ton of community service experience were I was able to eventually become founder/chairman for one of their largest fundraisers, about 150 hours volunteering at a hospital, and a few dozen hours shadowing physicians. I also obtained my EMT certification and am planning to either work as an EMT or continue to do research full time in the time between graduation and medical school. I am also expecting really good LOR from my PI, professors and physician.

I am planning to apply early and broadly to schools preferably in the North East. My top choice is UMass (Mass Resident), but I am worried about what other schools I should apply to because of my MCAT.

Schools: Albany, Quinnipiac, Dartmouth, George Washington, Georgetwon, Rush, New York Medical College, Rutgers, Stony Brook, Brown, Tufts, UConn, Maryland, UNC, Wake Forest, U of Rochester, Vermont,

I just got the MSAR online and have been looking through it, but I was wondering if you guys had any input on schools I should add to my list or suggestions.

Thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think your list looks pretty good. You have a few reaches and many schools that are well within your range. If you have enough money, you could apply to some schools in PA, like Penn State, Temple, etc.

Thanks NavyDoc23 for the input and added schools. I'll be sure to check them out.

Do you think my MCAT will severely effect my chances at UMass?

Members don't see this ad :)
@gyngyn Thanks for the input, I'm still working on my list and I really appreciate it.

Do you think my MCAT being a 31 will effect my application to UMass or does my GPA make up for that?

@gyngyn Thanks for the input, I'm still working on my list and I really appreciate it.

Do you think my MCAT being a 31 will effect my application to UMass or does my GPA make up for that?
You are in range (though at the low end).

I suggest:

U MA
U VM
Rush
NYMC
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
MCW
St. Louis U
Jefferson
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
GWU
Georgetown
Tufts
U Miami
Wake Forest
EVMS
VCU
All new MD programs except Central MI, Va Tech and Hofstra
Any DO program . Start with UNECOM, PCOM, and the two NY schools.

I would probably take brown off the list if I were you unless you have a very artistic background (something you would want to relate to RISD). I think they heavily favor their undergrads and have a small class already so they don't have too many spots for outsiders. I agree with @Goro 's list.