3.94 cGPA 3.93 sGPA 34 MCAT (11v/12p/11b) List ideas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seizurecrow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Use the MSAR, add your state schools, then pick OOS schools that you fit the stats for, that accept a good amount of OOS people/and from your state, that you fit the mission for, and that you could see yourself going to.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! I'll update after looking through the MSAR.

Members don't see this ad :)
I figured as much. I identify as a Peruvian, though I'm ethnically caucasian/asian with a hint of Peruvian. I grew up in a spanish speaking household so I'm comfortable with the language. I feel like a minority, but I'm not sure haha.

Clinical volunteer at Peruvian clinic for 200 hours (vaccinated newborn children, removed ingrown toenails, administered local anesthesia, cut open cysts- all the fun, illegal-to-do-as-a-volunteer-in-the-US type of stuff)
No one has commented on this, but if you describe these activities you run a huge risk of being rejected on ethical grounds.

No one has commented on this, but if you describe these activities you run a huge risk of being rejected on ethical grounds.
I was worried about that earlier so I emailed UNC's admissions committee. Because I was supervised in a clinical setting outside of the US, I should be fine describing my experience in South America. Then again, I'm not sure how that'll play out with other schools...

I figured as much. I identify as a Peruvian, though I'm ethnically caucasian/asian with a hint of Peruvian. I grew up in a spanish speaking household so I'm comfortable with the language. I feel like a minority, but I'm not sure haha.
Many minorities are not not under-represented in medicine. I recommend that you look at schools where your stats and experience are at the median. Bring us your list when you're ready.

Many minorities are not not under-represented in medicine. I recommend that you look at schools where your stats and experience are at the median. Bring us your list when you're ready.
True, true. I updated my list with your recommendation in mind. Hope it's not too optimistic.

True, true. I updated my list with your recommendation in mind. Hope it's not too optimistic.

Your updated list looks fine. But I'd look into a couple more schools ~31-32 MCAT, because some schools will average your attempts.

Click the spoiler for advice ONLY IF YOU HAVE NOT SUBMITTED YOUR APP YET. If you have submitted, don't click and save yourself some piece of mind.
But I agree with gettheleadout; have you submitted your application yet? If not, then I wouldn't describe your experience in South America in that much detail. That seems pretty intense for a pre-med to be doing. If it was simple stuff like taking vitals, administering some tests etc. it'd be fine. But cutting open cysts and vaccinating newborns is pretty up there. I doubt you really need to say all that either, you have plenty of other clinical experience. You may want to defer to some adcoms on this.

Reactions: 1 user
Your updated list looks fine. But I'd look into a couple more schools ~31-32 MCAT, because some schools will average your attempts.

Click the spoiler for advice ONLY IF YOU HAVE NOT SUBMITTED YOUR APP YET. If you have submitted, don't click and save yourself some piece of mind.
But I agree with gettheleadout; have you submitted your application yet? If not, then I wouldn't describe your experience in South America in that much detail. That seems pretty intense for a pre-med to be doing. If it was simple stuff like taking vitals, administering some tests etc. it'd be fine. But cutting open cysts and vaccinating newborns is pretty up there. I doubt you really need to say all that either, you have plenty of other clinical experience. You may want to defer to some adcoms on this.

Would 2-3 additional schools in the 31-32 range be enough? I haven't submitted my application yet, but I'll message more adcomms. I learned a lot from the experience so I'm hoping I don't have to leave too much out, but I can see how my app runs the risk of being dismissed on ethical grounds if the scope of US practice is expected to extend overseas. I'll go ahead and remove parts of that experience from my application. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thanks. Would 2-3 additional schools in the 31-32 range be enough? I haven't submitted my application yet, but I'll message more adcomms. I learned a lot from the experience so I'm hoping I don't have to leave too much out.

I think 2-3 more would really solidify your list. Since you have Drexel, look into Temple as well. NYMC is also another one.

Will do! How worried should I be about score averaging? If it's commonplace, I could run into a lot of problems with my list.

Will do! How worried should I be about score averaging? If it's commonplace, I could run into a lot of problems with my list.

This you will have to search on your own, some school websites may have this info.

Some schools take the highest, most recent, or average.

A few even take the highest scores of each subsection out of all attempts!