3-year med schools in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newdude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard there are 3-year med schools in Canada, can some one PLEASE list them.
I'm thinking about applying to them, since I'm a reapplicant.

Any one know if it hurts to have canadian MD for US allopathic residencies. Canadian MD probably opens more doors then offshore MD. Am I right in this viewpoint.

Members don't see this ad.

newdude said:
I have heard there are 3-year med schools in Canada, can some one PLEASE list them.

Any one know if it hurts to have canadian MD for US allopathic residencies. Canadian MD probably opens more doors then offshore MD. Am I right in this viewpoint.

Check out this thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.netshowthread.phpt=204846&highlight=mcmaster

McMaster University in Hamilton, ON, Canada. Here is a link that willprovide you with details:

http://65.39.131.180:80/ContentPage.aspx?name=MD Program Home

Members don't see this ad :)
newdude said:

You can also add University of Calgary to the list of 3-YR CDN Med Schools.
Keep in mind, Canadian schools are VERY difficult to get into. Each year, many
very qualified canadians are not accepted into the these school and have to
go to the US, Ireland, Australia, etc. Yes, I said US. Some rejected applicants go to US as a BACKUP. In addition, canadian schools are VERY unfriendly to foreign applicants, with the exception of maybe McGill. Most won't even consider your application if you are an international. You have a better chance getting into med school in the states as a foreigner, than up in Canada.

As for residencies in the US with a Canadian MD, the only problem I forsee is the
VISA issue (I don't know your background). Since it is an LCME school, I dont
think youd face much obstables being labelled as a "foreign" grad

Happy Canada Day!

vtrain said:
You can also add University of Calgary to the list of 3-YR CDN Med Schools.
Keep in mind, Canadian schools are VERY difficult to get into. Each year, many
very qualified canadians are not accepted into the these school and have to
go to the US, Ireland, Australia, etc. Yes, I said US. Some rejected applicants go to US as a BACKUP. In addition, canadian schools are VERY unfriendly to foreign applicants, with the exception of maybe McGill. Most won't even consider your application if you are an international. You have a better chance getting into med school in the states as a foreigner, than up in Canada.

As for residencies in the US with a Canadian MD, the only problem I forsee is the
VISA issue (I don't know your background). Since it is an LCME school, I dont
think youd face much obstables being labelled as a "foreign" grad

Happy Canada Day!

So my best shot is at McGill for 3-year program.

newdude said:
Vtrain is not lying. To get in to a Canadian med school as an international, you'll need to have the stats to get in to the top ten schools here in the states. Even with a 3.9 and 36 MCAT, some don't make the cut.

Unless you have a _strong_ desire to practice medicine in Canada, you'd probably be miles better off going to a U.S. school. You'll have many more options. And one extra year will mean very little in the big scheme of things, trust me.

newdude said:

I thought McGill only had the four-year program.

3 YEARS?! How legitimate is that? Not saying that it isn't, but just wondering how all those semesters of basic science and clinicals can be done in 3 years? Do US Licensing Boards even recognize this knowing that US schools are a full 4 years in duration?

BlondeCookie said:
3 YEARS?! How legitimate is that? Not saying that it isn't, but just wondering how all those semesters of basic science and clinicals can be done in 3 years? Do US Licensing Boards even recognize this knowing that US schools are a full 4 years in duration?

At McMasters they go year round. No long summer break and less time off.

BlondeCookie said:

Yes. all Canadian schools are LCME accredited. And those two schools have shorter summer breaks. I remember the admission officer from McMaster saying that all in all, their 3 year program is only about a couple weeks shorter in time length than the regular 4 year programs.

mcmaster is different. you dont have classes and you study on your own and its all in the hospitals so its not for everyone and they screen very carefully for applicants who can handle self learning.

calgary has huge preference for in province peeps. they also like older applicants, they're average age is 24.

I value my summers off.

Oh! Wow! I didn't know that those schools in Canada are year-round. So, pls someone correct me if I'm wrong, but is it like this?...

Some Canada schools...
3 semesters per yr x 3 yrs = 9 semesters

US schools...
2 semesters per yr x 4 yrs = 8 semesters

So, basically for the Canadian schools mentioned, you do 3yrs instead of 4yrs, but actually end up with more semesters total. Is that a correct assumption?

yes that's basically how it works... UNIV of Calgary.. has a 3 yr all yr round program. No summer breaks.. You only get 2 weeks off durin the year. There are also the traditional 4 yr programs but like someone above mentioned it's really hard to get into a Canadian univs. Their spots are limited for provincial residents and then for national residents.. and in some cases maybe for one or two foreigners.. (mcgill)

Hey,

I am a Canadian currently doing my undergrad in the U.S., and everything that was mentioned is completely correct.

The chances of a U.S. Citizen gaining acceptance to a Canadian med school, especially a 3 year med school is SLIM TO NONE. Canada has been experiencing a "brain drain" for the last decade or so, where Canadian trained doctors have been bolting for richer pastures in the U.S.. So unless you can demonstrate that you have a strong desire to practice in Canada, you're gonna be going up against some impossible odds.

Several of my friends who do not gain acceptance to schools like Toronto, McMaster and McGill are now currently attending U.S. med schools.