30 MCAT & 3.85 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted642188

Hello everyone,

I hope that everyone can give me reasonable advice in where to improve or have general insight. I know that I'm competitive but I was wondering where could be some good places to apply for next year.

Stats:
Asian male, 20 y/o
NY resident

As the title suggests, these are my scores

my MCAT 30 (10/10/10)
cGPA: 3.84, sGPA: 3.81

Extracurricular
General Hospital volunteering from july 2009 - now roughly 200 hours
ER Volunteering at same hospital ( 70 hours will ahve more)
Treasurer of Hispanic American Student Union (Fall 2014 to Spring 2015)
Researcher intern freshman year (publication submitted for review)
Currently a research assistant Started this semester with 12 hr/week (next semester 8 hr/week)
shadowed a cardiologist 55 hrs; an anesthesiologist 16 hrs
Started working as a volunteer at a salvation army thrift store (so far 30 hours)
Will be working as cashier for schools cafeteria spring 2015 (12 hr/week)
TA for Anatomy and physiology (spring 2015)

Since I have still have half a year, I'll add a few more
Current list:
Buffalo
Downstate,
Stony Brook
Upstate
Albany
NYMC
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Quinnipiac
UMiami
FIU
FAU
VCU
GWU
Thomas Jefferson
Drexel
Penn State
commonwealth

I hope I'm not being vague but any reaches or other suggestions? Any improvements in my extracurricular or academics? I understand that this long but thanks for the time

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're a pretty good applicant. You have a 75% chance of at least one MD acceptance. Other schools to consider: Georgetown, Creighton, Oakland, Temple, Jefferson, any DO school, and, most importantly, Hofstra. Where's Hofstra on your list?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're a pretty good applicant. You have a 75% chance of at least one MD acceptance. Other schools to consider: Georgetown, Creighton, Oakland, Temple, Jefferson, any DO school, and, most importantly, Hofstra. Where's Hofstra on your list?

I know this sounds kind of weird but even though private schools technically have no state preference... wouldn't a school like creighton not take me serious because as a New Yorker, I'm so far away compared to Nebraska??

About Hofstra....I checked the MSAR and I'm not even at the bottom 10% in respect to MCAT so I'm somewhat reticent about spending the money; what say you and @gyngyn?

Last edited by a moderator: