MD 33 MCAT + 3.62 GPA + strong EC's + comp sci background/endeavors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shard

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've deleted this information for anonymity but I'll definitely update with how things are going later in the cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are two schools on your list where you have a good chance at an interview.
Any OOS private school where your stats are at the median would be happy to add your interest in CS to the class.
Your lack of recent clinical experience is the impediment to a strong application.

Reactions: 1 user
There are two schools on your list where you have a good chance at an interview.
Any OOS private school where your stats are at the median would be happy to add your interest in CS to the class.
Your lack of recent clinical experience is the impediment to a strong application.

Thank you for your response! Would you mind telling me which two schools? (PM?)

I will definitely get on ball with the clinical this year in the case I'll need to reapply. There's a free clinic at the high school I coach for, so that could work out well.

I could also do more shadowing. Which do you think should be a higher priority: shadowing or volunteering in a clinic? I have a full-time job so shadowing is less convenient.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response! Would you mind telling me which two schools? (PM?)

I will definitely get on ball with the clinical this year in the case I need to reapply. There's a free clinic at the high school I coach for, so that could work out well.

I could also do more shadowing. Which do you think should be a higher priority: shadowing or volunteering in a clinic? I have a full-time job so shadowing is less convenient.
I think you know!
A strong first application cannot be overemphasized. The lack of clinical experience will leave you with little to talk about if you are lucky enough to get past the screeners. The stigma of re-application can cost more than just a "lost" year.

I think you know!
A strong first application cannot be overemphasized. The lack of clinical experience will leave you with little to talk about if you are lucky enough to get past the screeners. The stigma of re-application can cost more than just a "lost" year.

What do you mean by "little to talk about"? Will my high school clinical experience be considered irrelevant to the discussion?

Ah, that's a good point about the re-application issues. Perhaps I should add my safeties to this application.

Your MCAT for WashU, Stanford, Baylor is very low. You need to add more mid-tiers (MCAT 32-34) to your list and have a total of 15-20 schools at the least. It is too top heavy as of now, and you should always apply with the intent to get accepted in 1 cycle - don't experiment around with this stuff.

Dream Career:
Lead a non-profit tech startup that specializes in creating innovative open source software and hardware solutions for issues in healthcare.

Also, are you sure you want to do MD if this is what your dream career is? Can't you accomplish this with a CS degree alone?

Your MCAT for WashU, Stanford, Baylor is very low. You need to add more mid-tiers (MCAT 32-34) to your list and have a total of 15-20 schools at the least. It is too top heavy as of now, and you should always apply with the intent to get accepted in 1 cycle - don't experiment around with this stuff.
Like I said in my post, I understand it's top-heavy. The initial plan was try for my reaches, then reapply with a wider range of schools the next year. I might be changing that plan, though.

Also, are you sure you want to do MD if this is what your dream career is? Can't you accomplish this with a CS degree alone?
My personal statement in fact directly addresses these questions. I am sure that I am interested in an MD. I don't believe that I could accomplish my goals with a CS degree alone. I need the knowledge of an MD. And not just the book-knowledge, but an intimate understanding of practice and patient care that one can only gain by being a physician. (There's a lot of software development theory that will back me on this one.) Not to mention, medicine and personal involvement with the community is also where my passions lie. One of my greatest personal strengths is creative problem solving. The majority of my 'solutions' start with me working in a certain field, encountering an issue, and thinking to myself, "Hey, I could simply write a program using [Technology A] and [Technology B] that could accomplish this way better than the status quo." A biotech company would simply plug me into an existing proprietary project that they already understand.

EDIT:

For example, I am absolutely sure that something like this could have an impact in healthcare. One could write open-source software to be implemented on this open source hardware to create inexpensive medical equipment that any person or company could build, alter, sell, etc. As of right now I can do the programming, but don't have the field knowledge to understand what's needed, what could have the biggest impact, etc. Stuff like this is small enough in scale that as a doc I could innovate in my spare time as I encountered a need, no funding or red tape required.

Last edited:
Like I said in my post, I understand it's top-heavy. The initial plan was try for my reaches, then reapply with a wider range of schools the next year. I might be changing that plan, though.

My personal statement in fact directly addresses these questions. I am sure that I am interested in an MD. I don't believe that I could accomplish my goals with a CS degree alone. I need the knowledge of an MD. And not just the book-knowledge, but an intimate understanding of practice and patient care that one can only gain by being a physician. (There's a lot of software development theory that will back me on this one.) Not to mention, medicine and personal involvement with the community is also where my passions lie. One of my greatest personal strengths is creative problem solving. The majority of my 'solutions' start with me working in a certain field, encountering an issue, and thinking to myself, "Hey, I could simply write a program using [Technology A] and [Technology B] that could accomplish this way better than the status quo."

Yes, do change your plan and apply broadly so that you are accepted somewhere this cycle!

And your motivations sound good. Good luck!

My personal statement in fact directly addresses these questions. I am sure that I am interested in an MD. I don't believe that I could accomplish my goals with a CS degree alone. I need the knowledge of an MD. And not just the book-knowledge, but an intimate understanding of practice and patient care that one can only gain by being a physician. (There's a lot of software development theory that will back me on this one.) Not to mention, medicine and personal involvement with the community is also where my passions lie. One of my greatest personal strengths is creative problem solving. The majority of my 'solutions' start with me working in a certain field, encountering an issue, and thinking to myself, "Hey, I could simply write a program using [Technology A] and [Technology B] that could accomplish this way better than the status quo."

There are many graduate programs the focus on this, like translation medicine programs. You take the same med classes, along side med students, work on interprofessional development (i.e., being able to talk the med lingo and acronyms with a physician, as well as with the clinical populations themselves)--but you skip all the stuff you won't need if don't actually plan on being a practicing physician, in lieu of more science and research based classes. It's just a thought.

Also, you're competitive for some mid-tiers, but as a reapplicant, you might only be competive for low to mid. Also, your research isn't really targeted for biomedical science, and since the top-teirs place an emphasis on research (and the prerequistite stats), I just don't know what your selling point will be to these most selective research titans.

There are many graduate programs the focus on this, like translation medicine programs. You take the same med classes, along side med students, work on interprofessional development (i.e., being able to talk the med lingo and acronyms with a physician, as well as with the clinical populations themselves)--but you skip all the stuff you won't need if don't actually plan on being a practicing physician, in lieu of more science and research based classes. It's just a thought.

Also, you're competitive for some mid-tiers, but as a reapplicant, you might only be competive for low to mid. Also, your research isn't really targeted for biomedical science, and since the top-teirs place an emphasis on research (and the prerequistite stats), I just don't know what your selling point will be to these most selective research titans.

Wow, I didn't realize the stigma of reapplication was so high!

Thanks for your info about the interdisciplinary med programs! I will definitely give that consideration if the MD doesn't pan out. I do believe technology can impact more than just the "science" of healthcare, and understanding both the needs of a doctor and patient are important to my goals. I'm currently working on a educational chemistry project with a chemist friend of mine. It was conceived when we were complaining about how difficult certain aspects of organic chemistry are to students. I said, "You know we could totally build something that did [X] and [Y] using such-and-such technology to help students understand this." It was essential for me to have once been an orgo student to understand both the nature of the problem and the need for a solution. It was also essential for me to be a programmer that knew how the problem could be solved with technology. Otherwise my chemist friend would've complained for a minute, I would've said, "I can't relate, but I'm sorry it's so difficult," then we would've moved on to some other topic of conversation. Instead, we are now working on a cool piece of tech. This is exactly what I want to do in medicine! :)

Last edited:
100% concur. MSAR Online is your friend. Apply to schools whose median numbers are closest to your own.

From now on my mantra is going to be "if it was in high school, it didn't happen". Therefore, get into a clinical environment and show us that you really want to be around sick people and their families for the next 40 years, and that you know what you're getting into.

Your reaches will appreciate the donations in the form of your app fees.

Whenever I see or hear sentiments like this: "Instead, we are now working on a cool piece of tech. This is exactly what I want to do in medicine!", I think "you don't want to work with people, you want to work ON them".

Whenever I see or hear sentiments like this: "Instead, we are now working on a cool piece of tech. This is exactly what I want to do in medicine!", I think "you don't want to work with people, you want to work ON them".

Right now I'm working on a piece of tech to help orgo students understand the subject material. Why do you assume the medical extension of this analogy is "I want to work ON patients" as opposed to "I want to work on technology that helps patients"? That's a little cynical, don't you think?

You don't need to be a doctor to do this.

Right now I'm working on a piece of tech to help orgo students understand the subject material. Why do you assume the medical extension of this analogy is "I want to work ON patients" as opposed to "I want to work on technology that helps patients"? That's a little cynical, don't you think?

You don't need to be a doctor to do this.
Nope. MD is the way to go. I've already explained some of my rationale, not going to repost.

You can totally disagree with my decision to pursue an MD. That's outside the scope of this discussion anyway, so don't waste your time worrying about it.

If you can't see the benefit of a cross-trained doctor-programmer in 21st century medicine, I don't really have anything more to say.

...other than this very relevant quote by Kent Beck:

Programming at its best is an act of empathy.

<3

Good luck with those attitudes at interviews.

Nope. MD is the way to go. I've already explained some of my rationale, not going to repost.

You can totally disagree with my decision to pursue an MD. That's outside the scope of this discussion anyway, so don't waste your time worrying about it.

If you can't see the benefit of a cross-trained doctor-programmer in 21st century medicine, I don't really have anything more to say.

...other than this very relevant quote by Kent Beck:
Programming at its best is an act of empathy.

<3