34 MCAT (12 PS, 11 BS, 11V) 3.86 cGPA What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schmorgie94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Illinois resident

Southern Illinois University Carbondale Chemistry major with honors degree in both university and chemistry honors, ACS certificate

MCAT 34 (12 PS, 11 BS, 11 V)

cGPA 3.86
sGPA 3.79

Work and Activities:
Research assistant in two physiology labs and a biochemistry lab (3 years ~300 hours)
Research internship at Magee Women's Research Institute in Pittsburgh (~320 hours)
Pre-medical chair of my school's Pre-Health Professionals Association
Peer Mentor to freshman
Up Til Dawn Executive Committee Member
Committee member and treasurer for an organization that raises money for the local child advocacy center (6 years, over $30,000 raised)
Gynecologic Oncologist shadowing--50 hours (Extern program through my school's Alumni Association)
On campus student worker position in a Dean's office
Full ride merit scholarship to my undergraduate institution
**I will be doing some clinical volunteering this summer

School List:
SIU
UChicago
Northwestern
Loyola
Rush
University of Illinois
U of I RMED program
Stanford
Michigan Medical School
Wisconsin School of Medicine
Keck USC
Mayo Medical School

I also want to apply to University of California schools and Texas schools, but I'm not sure of my chances. I'm above their average GPA and MCAT, but I'm OOS.

Any tips and advice are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

California and Texas are notoriously OOS unfriendly, maybe the most so. Texas has a law mandating 90% stundents be IS (except Baylor, a private school).

Also, what do you mean American Chemical Society certificate?

California and Texas are notoriously OOS unfriendly, maybe the most so. Texas has a law mandating 90% stundents be IS (except Baylor, a private school).

Also, what do you mean American Chemical Society certificate?

I believe that the OP means that their Chemistry degree is certified; Most (if not all) BS Chemistry graduates have an "ACS certified" degree, so it doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.
http://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/about/governance/committees/training/acsapproved.html

Any publications from your research experience? 300 hours over 3 years averages out to less than 2 hours a week; I'm not sure if that is enough for the research heavy programs like Michigan or Stanford.

Members don't see this ad :)
Goro suggests
SIU (only if you from southern IL. South of I40, right?)
Northwestern
Loyola
Rush
University of Illinois
U of I RMED program
Keck USC
Mayo Medical School
MCW
SLU
Rosy Franklin
U IA (maybe)
IU (maybe)
Vanderbilt
Pitt
Wayne State
MSU (maybe)
BU
Einstien
Dartmouth
Emory
Duke
Tulane
U Miami
USF
Hoftsra
GWU
G-town

I'd like to see a lot more clinical volunteering before you apply. Looks like you've never even set foot in a hospital other than to shadow.

I have 300 research hours summed from two of my research positions, over 1 year. For the third, I have 360 hours from just this past semester. I also am doing a research internship right now, and I will be published. However, the paper will not be submitted until around December. Is there any way for me to address that on my application? I'm voluteering this fall (starting August when I get back to campus), but I don't want to add an activity that I haven't started yet.

I have 300 research hours summed from two of my research positions, over 1 year. For the third, I have 360 hours from just this past semester. I also am doing a research internship right now, and I will be published. However, the paper will not be submitted until around December. Is there any way for me to address that on my application? I'm voluteering this fall (starting August when I get back to campus), but I don't want to add an activity that I haven't started yet.

Sorry, I should have been more specific about my research hours. I calculated them incorrectly.

You send an update if your paper is accepted for publication.