35 y/o non-trad pre-RN, soon to be pre-med/MD, considering options. Anyone else take a similar path? What was it like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oryn

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Happy to be a new poster here.

As the post title says, I'm a 35-year-old non-traditional student. I'm in CC. My path is ADN/BSN, then whatever academics/university I need, then to (hopefully) med school (I'm considering UMKC, but KUMed looks great too). I have three or four W's from about 10 years ago. No F's. One B. I have a GED (scored well on, not sure if that matters, 99 percentiles and stuff, assuming GED scores are useless). Long story short: bills at the time. I took a placement test and scored well, which was a relief. I'm considering CLEP exams. I don't think that's a perfect indicator of things to come, but it was nice to see that I still remembered some things that had I learned.

My current career is writing books as an author. I just "knew" this is one of the things I needed to do from a young age and spent my life making it happen. I haven't had this kind of motivation for anything more rigorous, especially in medicine (though I've been interested in it for a while). Recently, I had a "just know"/epiphany moment and decided that whatever it takes, however long it takes, I will become a psychiatrist.

I admit I have much more research to do and the med students, long-time forum members, and those actually in the field will know a great deal more than me. This is basically the rest of my life (between the RN, pre-meds, med school, and residency, it's going to be a long while - assuming I even get accepted, that I don't give up, that I don't change my mind, etc) and a huge commitment.

On the RN: I already have a network of friends in the field and the accelerated ADN course is nearby and has pretty decent rates for tuition. Nursing is different from what I'd do as a physician, or psychiatrist, but I think it will be good exposure. I'm sure the culture is different, too. I was told by a couple advisors that RNs can make excellent physicians. That doesn't mean they're correct or that their word is gospel, but I hope there is some kernel of truth to that.

Anyone else taking a similar path in their mid-30s? What were some challenges you had along the way? How were you treated in med school? How was residency? What motivated you to pursue becoming a physician? Did you know what you wanted to specialize in? If so, did that change in residency, or were you still focused on what you initially decided to specialize in?

Thanks for having me! I hope to get to know you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings, I just finished LVN school and have been a premed student for a couple of years. I need to buckle down, take MCAT, shadow a DO or MD, and increase my GPA. Its a journey but doable.

I was 35 when I went to medical school. I worked as a medic, did a bridge to nursing (ASN) and realized I wanted to be a physician so I finished a degree, and went to medical school. You don’t need to be a nurse to be a good doctor, and being a nurse doesn’t make you a better doctor than anyone else you are training with. Regardless of what you hear nursing school is not harder than medical school and it doesn’t prepare you for the rigors you will face.

Going to medical school when you are older is hard, the hours are long, there is a ton of information, and a lot is expected of you, which may be different than the life you live now. If you have a partner and kids that can make it even more difficult. Residency is even harder, the hours are longer, and there is a lot more demanded of you.

If you want to be a doctor go to medical school, if want to be a nurse go to nursing school. There is more debt in medical school and it takes a lot longer to start making money (if you need it) so maybe nursing would be better if you are not sure.

As far as grades start doing well in your classes now, kill the MCAT, and put that withdrawal information in your personal statement to try and explain it.

Good luck

Reactions: 1 users