36 MCAT. 3.3 sGPA. Third time applying. Details inside.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preeeeeeemed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just to provide some background:
I have applied to medical school in the past two cycles - holding on to one waitlist spot currently, and I pray that it works out, but I am trying to plan ahead in case things don't go well there.

Stats:
36 MCAT (will expire for all but ~20 schools in the upcoming cycle)
3.6 GPA/ 3.3 sGPA
7-8 Publications (2nd author or lower), multiple years of full time research employment at Ivy League institution
300+ hours of volunteering in a hospital
5000+ hours of clinical/basic science research in total
200+ hours of shadowing

MY PLAN FOR THE UPCOMING YEAR:

- Applying for an SMP at NYMC - hoping to get in! Doing this because my feedback from schools was primarily focused on my science GPA. I have taken most of the upper level undergraduate courses at my institution as part of my biochemistry major - and spending $5000 per course at private institutions doesn't seem worth it.

- Look into non-clinical volunteering, continue hospital volunteering whenever possible.

- Retaking MCAT in April for the 2017-2018 cycle, since my 2013 MCAT won't be valid at most schools anymore.

- REAPPLYING TO SELECT SCHOOLS THIS CYCLE WHERE MY MCAT WILL STILL BE VALID? It would kill me to see this MCAT score go to "waste" - there's no guarantee I will repeat this score next year on the new format of MCAT (not much psych/sociology background, less chem/physics which are my strengths).

Schools I can apply to this cycle:

Schools I've already applied to twice: Albany, BU, Hofstra, Buffalo, Hopkins*, UPenn*, Rush, Tufts, Pitt, Rochester, Vermont, Vanderbilt*, Yale*
Schools I've already applied to once: Case Western, Rosalind Franklin, Ohio State, Miami, UVA, Wake Forest
Schools I haven't applied to: Emory, St Louis, Iowa, North Dakota

* - Schools that feel like a waste of money.

CAN APPLYING THIS CYCLE HURT ME? Obviously I am likely using my last chance at some of these schools - but it might be worth it with the MCAT expiring.

Feel free to comment on which schools I should and shouldn't apply to (or if I should even apply at all). if you have any comments regarding my plans for the upcoming year, feel free to contribute to that too :) Thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

How have you not gotten in with your stats? They're really pretty good.

Reactions: 1 user
Literally if you want to be a doctor add several DO's to your application this cycle. You will have luck at the ones that love high MCATs, like CCOM/AZCOM, coastal Touros, & RVU.

Also, have you done anything to change your app between this and last cycle? If not, you're throwing money away reapplying without addressing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Literally if you want to be a doctor add several DO's to your application this cycle. You will have luck at the ones that love high MCATs, like CCOM/AZCOM, coastal Touros, & RVU.

Also, have you done anything to change your app between this and last cycle? If not, you're throwing money away reapplying without addressing it.
Thanks for the feedback!
I will apply to DO after I finish my SMP. So I will apply DO in the 2017-2018 cycle.

Regarding this cycle - I will apply day 1 (didn't apply until August last year), have more publications, more volunteering. Will address the grades in the SMP - will send updates as soon as I have any.

Thanks for the feedback!
I will apply to DO after I finish my SMP. So I will apply DO in the 2017-2018 cycle.

Regarding this cycle - I will apply day 1 (didn't apply until August last year), have more publications, more volunteering. Will address the grades in the SMP - will send updates as soon as I have any.

Just my 2 cents, but if schools are telling you the sGPA is the issue, and the SMP is to address the sGPA, wouldn't it be more prudent to wait until the SMP is over to apply? I would hate to see the same thing happen to you this cycle as last, and then have to be on your fourth. Also, if you applied DO this cycle, you will likely be starting medical school in 2017 and can save your money altogether.

tl;dr your grades are the issue and you will not have fixed that if you apply MD this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Just my 2 cents, but if schools are telling you the sGPA is the issue, and the SMP is to address the sGPA, wouldn't it be more prudent to wait until the SMP is over to apply? I would hate to see the same thing happen to you this cycle as last, and then have to be on your fourth. Also, if you applied DO this cycle, you will likely be starting medical school in 2017 and can save your money altogether.

tl;dr your grades are the issue and you will not have fixed that if you apply MD this cycle.
The application this year wouldn't be with super high expectations - but I just don't want this MCAT score to go away without a fight. The cost of the apps is marginal compared to the SMP, so I'm just trying to see why I shouldn't apply to some of these schools, even if the chances are small.

The application this year wouldn't be with super high expectations - but I just don't want this MCAT score to go away without a fight. The cost of the apps is marginal compared to the SMP, so I'm just trying to see why I shouldn't apply to some of these schools, even if the chances are small.

I would really really urge you, and so would many others on the site, to apply DO this cycle if you are throwing apps out anyway.

I would really really urge you, and so would many others on the site, to apply DO this cycle if you are throwing apps out anyway.
I appreciate the advice for applying DO this cycle, but I would like to give MD one more shot after the SMP. I will apply to both in the 17-18 cycle. One year this way or that way doesn't change that much at this point.

If you are going to apply to MD schools next month include these schools:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Roseman (new school for 2017)
All your state public schools (where is your state of residence?)
Of the schools you applied to previously reapply to Albany, Rosalind Franklin, Vermont and any other schools where you had an interview. A MCAT of 36 should attract some interest from these schools. Also apply to at least 6 DO schools and you are competitive for any DO school. Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Couple things

1) If you are that worried about the MCAT retake it now before starting an SMP which wont start until August.
2) Yes, being a reapplicant in future cycles will be a disadvantage and make things harder on being admitted. A reapplicant with an MCAT score this high is already going to be perceived as a riskier candidate as many. Just blindly applying to schools in the name of "what is there to lose" and making yourself a reapplicant or 3X reapplicant are more schools isnt wise. You're just creating more obstacles for yourself.
3) The list of schools you have in your situation isnt particularly likely to be successful here. So no, between the con of being a reapplicant in future cycles vs the pro of potentially a hail mary being answered, the pro doesnt outweigh the con.
4) If you do an SMP it makes no sense at all to apply to DO schools while doing an SMP. You are already more than competitive for DO. You do an SMP which is time intensive, expensive and rigorous because MD is your end goal. If you are content with the DO route dont do an SMP. Make that decision now.

All in all best bet is retake the MCAT, focus on your SMP and then apply after. Depending on how well you do in the SMP will dictate whether you need DO schools to apply to

If you are going to apply to MD schools next month include these schools:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Roseman (new school for 2017)
All your state public schools (where is your state of residence?)
Of the schools you applied to previously reapply to Albany, Rosalind Franklin, Vermont and any other schools where you had an interview. A MCAT of 36 should attract some interest from these schools. Also apply to at least 6 DO schools and you are competitive for any DO school. Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.
Hey, thanks for the response!

Unfortunately the schools I listed are the only ones my MCAT is eligible for.

Couple things

1) If you are that worried about the MCAT retake it now before starting an SMP which wont start until August.
2) Yes, being a reapplicant in future cycles will be a disadvantage and make things harder on being admitted. A reapplicant with an MCAT score this high is already going to be perceived as a riskier candidate as many. Just blindly applying to schools in the name of "what is there to lose" and making yourself a reapplicant or 3X reapplicant are more schools isnt wise. You're just creating more obstacles for yourself.
3) The list of schools you have in your situation isnt particularly likely to be successful here. So no, between the con of being a reapplicant in future cycles vs the pro of potentially a hail mary being answered, the pro doesnt outweigh the con.
4) If you do an SMP it makes no sense at all to apply to DO schools while doing an SMP. You are already more than competitive for DO. You do an SMP which is time intensive, expensive and rigorous because MD is your end goal. If you are content with the DO route dont do an SMP. Make that decision now.

All in all best bet is retake the MCAT, focus on your SMP and then apply after. Depending on how well you do in the SMP will dictate whether you need DO schools to apply to
2) Does applying to, for example 10 schools this cycle, hurt me in the cycle after that with schools that I WON'T apply to this cycle? That doesn't make much sense to me.
3) Which schools from the list I have do you think are very MCAT heavy?
4) I will not apply to DO schools this cycle - that is certain. I would only apply to MD schools where my MCAT gives me a strong chance.

Thanks for your help!

If you are applying to schools that you have already applied to and you haven't changed much on your app you are destined for a third round of failure.

If you are applying to schools that you have already applied to and you haven't changed much on your app you are destined for a third round of failure.
Will change PS/essays/storyline. Considering taking 3 summer courses in June if I do decide to apply to a select few schools where my MCAT puts me in a good position.