38S on MCAT and rejected to med school. any advice on my TWO year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hiiiEEE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok. I only applied to three schools: harvard, john hopkins and duke. Only got interview at john hopkins and was rejected this week.

Yeah, I know my mcat is above all three schools avgs, but I probably got rejected for having a 3.1 gpa. Long story short, I didn't take undergrad seriously, I had a ~1.00 after my freshman year (D is for DEGREE ;])
I did improve and got As and Bs my last year but i guess it wasn't enough.

So, it doesn't look like I am entering med school 2010, so I'll reapply and hopefully get in 2011. Currently it is sept 2009 (for those unaware), which gives me exactly two years.

And besides being over confident and not applying to only top10 schools next year, I am not sure what to do. I think my biggest anchor is my gpa, so grad school for a while looks to be the correct path. However, most grad school deadlines have passed and, like medical school, require you to apply a year early. I have graduated college and have a biochem degree. Should I....work at a hospital? go back to undergrad and take extra classes to build gpa? Or is there some grad school I can still apply to?

any advice? thanks =]

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, only those three schools with a 3.1 gpa is absurdly over-confidant.

But can't you still apply to more schools this year by adding them to AMCAS? I'm pretty sure you can still do that.

Applying to three schools, especially 3 top ten schools, was extremely foolish. There is no other way around it or to sugar coat it.

If you have solid extracurriculars, including some form of clinical experience, and wrote a good personal statement you'll be fine with applications. In terms of improving your GPA, grad school isn't the best option for you. Grad school is counted a separated GPA on your application and won't improve your undergrad. There's essentially two options, one being riskier than the other:

1.) SMP - Special Masters Program, in which you prove you can handle med school classes and stress, and potentially gain some help in your application and some stronger LORs and experiences. It will help your lop sided application numbers(3.1 38), but will be a killer if you don't do well in the program. Some programs have added benefits of guaranteed interview if you do 3.5+ in the SMP

2.) Post-bacc - Much less riskier, and will improve your one weak spot, your GPA, granted that your ECs, LORs, and PS are solid. This will factor into your undergraduate GPA. Two semesters @ 4.0 should help bring you to around a 3.2.
-----
Though it will be very late for a primary application for this cycle, if the AMCAS deadline has not reached yet, add more schools and apply immediately. Make sure your pre-med office gets your material out and that you return secondaries ASAP once they arrive.

Apply to at least 10 schools that haven't hit their deadline yet now, or at least 10 schools in the next cycle, including your state schools.

edit: Actually, most grad school deadlines haven't past yet nor required you to apply ahead a year ahead like med school. SMP deadlines tend to be very late due many students being those preparing for re-application after a failed cycle. Many regular masters programs, their deadlines are in January-April. The more competitive ones tend to be earlier. However, a masters program doesn't sound like it would benefit you unless you are also lacking in ECs or it is something you really want to do. Most masters programs require some form of research project or thesis, and this is very time intensive, and sometimes frustrating - I'm going through it now. Don't do a traditional masters unless you have a real desire to do research; if you don't you'll hate lab or won't find a good PI to work with.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I'd also like to input my opinions here as well. With a solid MCAT score like that you will definitely get into a US MD school. I'd personally recommend you take some upper division science courses for 2-3 semester (each semester getting straight A's in 3-4 science courses). In terms of GPAs, most medical schools look more at your cumulative undergraduate GPA than gradaute GPA. If you have to reapply next year, take those courses at a 4-year university while continuing to do some form of research or volunteer work. Waiting out one year is not that much in the grand scheme of things....Really.

For this year, I'd add a bunch of other US MD schools. If I were you, I woud not apply to any DO schools (just my humble opinion) this year. It shouldn't take long for schools to get your application since your AMCAS app has already been processed.

Your MCAT score is awesome. I'm not sure about your GPA for this year, but still try though this year. You never know!! If you can build up a solid GPA continue with your EC's, you're guaranteed to get in (again, just my opinion).

Best of luck to you!

Can't you add any schools at any time as long as the primary application deadline has not passed?

Can't you add any schools at any time as long as the primary application deadline has not passed?

Yes...and you will not be re-verified or anything like that; the schools you originally indicate on your AMCAS will not be delayed. But to the schools you just added, it will be like you just submitted your primary. I would suggest finding the secondary prompts thread and completing the secondary applications to those new schools before they send you the secondary.

I'd suggest getting a job to get some money, and also volunteering. If Hopkins gave you an interview, you should be a shoo-in to get interview offers from non-top 10 schools.

Good luck.

Ok. I only applied to three schools: harvard, john hopkins and duke. Only got interview at john hopkins and was rejected this week.

Yeah, I know my mcat is above all three schools avgs, but I probably got rejected for having a 3.1 gpa. Long story short, I didn't take undergrad seriously, I had a ~1.00 after my freshman year (D is for DEGREE ;])
I did improve and got As and Bs my last year but i guess it wasn't enough.

So, it doesn't look like I am entering med school 2010, so I'll reapply and hopefully get in 2011. Currently it is sept 2009 (for those unaware), which gives me exactly two years.

And besides being over confident and not applying to only top10 schools next year, I am not sure what to do. I think my biggest anchor is my gpa, so grad school for a while looks to be the correct path. However, most grad school deadlines have passed and, like medical school, require you to apply a year early. I have graduated college and have a biochem degree. Should I....work at a hospital? go back to undergrad and take extra classes to build gpa? Or is there some grad school I can still apply to?

any advice? thanks =]

A 40 MCAT with that uGPA isn't going to work for US allopathic schools. It's MCAT + uGPA and not MCAT or uGPA. Graduate school isn't going to help you outside of a SMP (Special Masters Program). If you enter one of these, be prepared to work harder than you have ever worked before and get all "A"s. You may be taking courses alongside medical students but you WILL be held to a higher standard. Be prepared for this and be prepared to pay for the experience too as these programs are expensive.

Thanks for the feedback.

I talked to a few admission committee members and they told me my gpa wasn't the main thing. my science gpa is 3.9+, i just have a low gpa because I was a student athlete and didn't take my freshman year seriously (had sub 1 gpa). But I changed majors and took a few summer classes to catch up and I've had 3.8+ every other semester (soph thur senior).

I added vandy and emory to my application (although these will be considered late applicants). But to be honest, I don't have much interest in either school. I would of loved duke because I did my undergrad here and am from the area but I might just end up taking what I can get.

As far as other aspects of my application, I think my LOR, EA and volunteer are average with other applicants. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

If I get into vandy/emory and decide to attend i'll just get a job till aug next year. If I don't get in I'll probably do some hospital/community related work till special masters program starts. But I have to really research master programs I don't know much about them...

Just shows no matter how high the MCAT it doesnt mean you have sense.

Do you wanna go to med school? Apply to lower stats schools and you have a shot. You dont have to waste a year!!

State schools are not that bad, lol!!

Sometimes you just have to have realistic dreams.....

Thanks for the feedback.

I talked to a few admission committee members and they told me my gpa wasn't the main thing. my science gpa is 3.9+, i just have a low gpa because I was a student athlete and didn't take my freshman year seriously (had sub 1 gpa). But I changed majors and took a few summer classes to catch up and I've had 3.8+ every other semester (soph thur senior).

I added vandy and emory to my application (although these will be considered late applicants). But to be honest, I don't have much interest in either school. I would of loved duke because I did my undergrad here and am from the area but I might just end up taking what I can get.

As far as other aspects of my application, I think my LOR, EA and volunteer are average with other applicants. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

If I get into vandy/emory and decide to attend i'll just get a job till aug next year. If I don't get in I'll probably do some hospital/community related work till special masters program starts. But I have to really research master programs I don't know much about them...

Unfortunately, the fact of the matter is that it's not really conducive to success in the application cycle to be so selective. In this day and age, getting into any medical school is a huge accomplishment. To be very candid, the level of confidence you have in your application hints at a lack of familiarity with the admissions process. There really is no lock, and it is terribly unrealistic to expect to get into one of Vandy, Emory, Harvard, Johns Hopkins and Duke. In fact, it doesn't matter what grades/MCAT, ECs, letter, autbio the person had, it would still be a bad idea to apply just to those schools. I strongly suggest that you add at least 5-10 more schools to your total to increase your chances. That way if you don't get into one of those elite schools, you still go to medical school and you don't have to re-apply. Or if you do get into one or more of your top choices, then you can come and say "I told you so". :)

Unfortunately, the fact of the matter is that it's not really conducive to success in the application cycle to be so selective. In this day and age, getting into any medical school is a huge accomplishment. To be very candid, the level of confidence you have in your application hints at a lack of familiarity with the admissions process. There really is no lock, and it is terribly unrealistic to expect to get into one of Vandy, Emory, Harvard, Johns Hopkins and Duke. In fact, it doesn't matter what grades/MCAT, ECs, letter, autbio the person had, it would still be a bad idea to apply just to those schools. I strongly suggest that you add at least 5-10 more schools to your total to increase your chances. That way if you don't get into one of those elite schools, you still go to medical school and you don't have to re-apply. Or if you do get into one or more of your top choices, then you can come and say "I told you so". :)

I agree. The OP needs to add a LOT more than just Vandy and Emory. Emory might be a good fit though, as they do like people with special talents, and if you're a student-athlete, that might be something they look for. As Vihsadas suggested, you need to add at least 5-10 more schools to give yourself a good chance. I have no idea if you're a good interviewer, but if you're not, 5-10 more might not cut it either. Definitely add some safety schools as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I need to amend my first answer now that you have revealed what an adcom told you about your need to mature: your grades and your immaturity are holding you back.

Grow up - get a real job for a year or two. Then apply with your newfound maturity and perhaps some humility.

Thanks for the feedback.

I talked to a few admission committee members and they told me my gpa wasn't the main thing.

Note: see my amended response above:

Of course your GPA is the 'main thing' hurting your app, but it may not be the only thing. So if you believed them, what did they tell you your main thing (problem) is?

Average LOR, EA, and volunteer work are not nearly good enough, especially not for the caliber of schools you are obsessed with.

Last edited:
The OP sure is picky! Limiting yourself to top 20 schools even with a stellar MCAT like that still leaves a big chance you won't get in anywhere. You have no safeties at all, and you are giving up too early.

Since you like Duke, why not consider UNC-Chapel Hill? What's your home state?

This is getting good =]

I resubmitted my app, i applied to 11 additional schools. The two below were just two I mentioned. And yes some are state public schools. (trust me I learned my lesson). The 3.9 science gpa from duke and w/ my mcat i am confident I can get into 1 of the 11 i applied (yeah, I thought this with the big 3, but this time i mean it).

But it will depend on where I get accepted. Hopefully I can get into vandy, emory, baylor or one of the other better schools I applied. If I end up getting into a state public school I might reapply next year (no offensive to anyone in one these schools, I just don't perform well there). K thur middle school I went to a public school and was a C student, High school I went to a prep academy and was top 5% in class. Than I went to UNC (good guess above) and was on track team and had a b/s major and had a sub 1.00 gpa. But I was able to transfer to duke because I got accepted during high school . plus they admitted me as a new student not a transfer which would of required transcript from UNC (thank God). Nonetheless, I finished my 3 years at duke with 3.9 science gpa, and my gpa including UNC came out to a 3.18 exactly.

I think I need a school that will challenge me, if not I get lazy and over confident and start skipping classes (if history repeats itself).

so....here is my game plan. If I get into anyone good/decent school I'll just attend next fall and work/party (won't get to do it during med school) till sept next year.

if I end up getting into some place crappy. I'd have to seriously sit down and think. If I don't end up going...I might go ahead with a special masters program or masters program (mph). Than i'd use this year to do research and gain more hospital experience (so than i'll have stronger app, right now I am about mediocre) and special masters program the 2nd year to really help my gpa. But, I'd have to research this, some special masters programs and mph's are 2 years. It'd look bad if I applied to med school during the program, it'd show I wasn't a finisher (guessing they would assume this). So these programs would have to be a year, if they are 2 years than I am just going wherever I get accepted (hopefully atleast one).

Anyone know anything about special masters programs or master programs? Would you recommend one above the other for me?

If I end up getting into a state public school I might reapply next year (no offensive to anyone in one these schools, I just don't perform well there). K thur middle school I went to a public school and was a C student, High school I went to a prep academy and was top 5% in class.

Since when does going to a state medical school cause someone to do worse than at a private school? I think the problem is with you, not the public school if that happens. UNC is not that much less prestigious than Duke, so having some sort of psychological "public schools are not as good as private schools" stigma is stupid. There are even some publics that are considered in the league of Harvard, JHU, and Duke, like UCSF.

If you really want to give up a state medical school because you think you're too good for it, go ahead and give it to someone who actually wants it. MCAT scores don't last forever. It's not good to keep putting it off and deciding to reapply next year because you must settle for a top 10 private. Do you want to be a doctor or not?

I think I need a school that will challenge me, if not I get lazy and over confident and start skipping classes (if history repeats itself).

ANY medical school will challenge you.

if I end up getting into some place crappy. I'd have to seriously sit down and think.

... and there are no crappy allopathic schools, trust me.

Last edited:
This is getting good =]

I resubmitted my app, i applied to 11 additional schools. The two below were just two I mentioned. And yes some are state public schools. (trust me I learned my lesson). The 3.9 science gpa from duke and w/ my mcat i am confident I can get into 1 of the 11 i applied (yeah, I thought this with the big 3, but this time i mean it).

But it will depend on where I get accepted. Hopefully I can get into vandy, emory, baylor or one of the other better schools I applied. If I end up getting into a state public school I might reapply next year (no offensive to anyone in one these schools, I just don't perform well there). K thur middle school I went to a public school and was a C student, High school I went to a prep academy and was top 5% in class. Than I went to UNC (good guess above) and was on track team and had a b/s major and had a sub 1.00 gpa. But I was able to transfer to duke because I got accepted during high school . plus they admitted me as a new student not a transfer which would of required transcript from UNC (thank God). Nonetheless, I finished my 3 years at duke with 3.9 science gpa, and my gpa including UNC came out to a 3.18 exactly.

so....here is my game plan. If I get into anyone good/decent school I'll just attend next fall and work/party (won't get to do it during med school) till sept next year.

if I end up getting into some place crappy. I'd have to seriously sit down and think. If I don't end up going...I might go ahead with a special masters program or masters program (mph). Than i'd use this year to do research and gain more hospital experience (so than i'll have stronger app, right now I am about mediocre) and special masters program the 2nd year to really help my gpa. But, I'd have to research this, some special masters programs and mph's are 2 years. It'd look bad if I applied to med school during the program, it'd show I wasn't a finisher (guessing they would assume this). So these programs would have to be a year, if they are 2 years than I am just going wherever I get accepted (hopefully atleast one).

Anyone know anything about special masters programs or master programs? Would you recommend one above the other for me?

I can't begin to tell you how misinformed you are about this process. A state medical school wouldn't challenge you enough? :laugh: Fortunately for you, this application cycle will set you straight, and you might have a better perspective on medical admissions when you reapply.

either way, best of luck to you!:luck:

you should sit down and think right now. With all of this work that you are doing, I can surely think that you will take medical school seriously. If you get an acceptance and turn it down, it will certainly come up in your interview and you should have a really good reason for doing what you did. But then again, you are an adult and it is your life. Good luck with it.

I'd also like to add that if you think a state medical school will not challenge you, you are sorely mistaken. The curriculum across schools is more or less standardized. What is different between the richer, more well-known and better situated schools is the opportunities they can offer you, NOT the difficulty of the curriculum (which is similar pretty much everywhere).

So basically the OP has applied to 14 schools...with a whopping GPA of 3.18. Moreover, most of the schools are top 20 programs.

I don't think you have to worry about the misfortune of ending up in a state school (or as you said it, "someplace crappy."). You've got delusions of grandeur, my friend. Hopkins interviewing you was like the hot cheerleader going out with the nerd in high school...for sh*ts and giggles.

What makes you think you're such a shoe-in that you can flat out turn down a state school? If you do indeed intend on turning down a state school, why apply to it in the first place? Leave those seats vacant for those who are serious about med school.

You only seem to want the prestige of a highly esteemed program. Well, you've got champagne dreams on a domestic beer budget.

I would wish you luck but, then again, maybe not everyone deserves to get in.

To the kind gentleman above... no school interviews for giggles. If you land an interview at a school, it means you are capable of performing the work at the school.

As far as why I didn't get into JH. I did contact them and talk to someone on the admissions broad that was part of my interview. (not many people know this, but you can contact a school and ask why you didn't get in, even if you didn't score an interview. and they will tell you if it's your gpa, mcat, or something during the interview). And what she told me was that they just felt they would cheat other students in that I fulfilled 3/4ths of their work by having a horrible freshman year. She advised me to work this year (not necessary enroll in a school, but hospital work or job related) and thought I could use another year to mature. She encouraged me to reapply next year (than saved her a** by stating she couldn't make guarantees) and lastly, finished by saying I would be a strong candidate for next year.

And the rest..you guys probably should of highlight no offensive to anyone in one these schools

Again, things are being taken out of context.. when I mentioned I'd apply to emory/vandy these were just 2 of the 11 schools. The two I'd most like to get into. I just mentioned two (doesn't mean I applied to two). I won't get into specifics, but if anyone cares, 1 of the 11 is a top10. 3 of the other 11 are top50. 2 of the 11 are private schools outside top50 or not on any list. And 5 are public schools.

Like the first post, things are being taken literally. I should say if I end up getting into only UNC and this being the only school, than i would CONSIDER reapplying next year. Why? Well, I had a hard time there, and had bad memories and a sub 1.00 gpa. This is just human nature. I am sure many who retake their mcats, pick a different test center. Why? they had bad memories at the old one. I am sure if a loved one died on a specific road, you would avoid driving on that road (assuming an alternative route was convenient).

And the rest..you guys probably should of highlight no offensive to anyone in one these schools

Doesn't matter if you said no offense, people are still going to get offended if you say a certain school is crappy.

Like the first post, things are being taken literally. I should say if I end up getting into only UNC and this being the only school, than i would CONSIDER reapplying next year. Why? Well, I had a hard time there, and had bad memories and a sub 1.00 gpa. This is just human nature. I am sure many who retake their mcats, pick a different test center. Why? they had bad memories at the old one. I am sure if a loved one died on a specific road, you would avoid driving on that road (assuming an alternative route was convenient).

From your previous posts, your stigma seems to extend beyond UNC to all state schools.

I am not familiar with UNC's campus, but their medical school could be in an entirely separate location from their undergraduate campus.

To the kind gentleman above... no school interviews for giggles. If you land an interview at a school, it means you are capable of performing the work at the school.

As far as why I didn't get into JH. I did contact them and talk to someone on the admissions broad that was part of my interview. (not many people know this, but you can contact a school and ask why you didn't get in, even if you didn't score an interview. and they will tell you if it's your gpa, mcat, or something during the interview). And what she told me was that they just felt they would cheat other students in that I fulfilled 3/4ths of their work by having a horrible freshman year. She advised me to work this year (not necessary enroll in a school, but hospital work or job related) and thought I could use another year to mature. She encouraged me to reapply next year (than saved her a** by stating she couldn't make guarantees) and lastly, finished by saying I would be a strong candidate for next year.

Again, things are being taken out of context.. when I mentioned I'd apply to emory/vandy these were just 2 of the 11 schools. The two I'd most like to get into. I just mentioned two (doesn't mean I applied to two). I won't get into specifics, but if anyone cares, 1 of the 11 is a top10. 3 of the other 11 are top50. 2 of the 11 are private schools outside top50 or not on any list. And 5 are public schools.

I don't know dude, I had a 3.49 GPA, 3.81 sGPA, and a 41R MCAT last year and I didn't get in ANYWHERE. Granted I didn't go to Duke, but even a Duke degree will have a hard time covering a .3 difference in GPA, downward/upward trend or not. I applied much more broadly than you did as well.

Given what you have posted on this board, you're gonna have a REALLY tough time in interviews even if you manage to get them with a 3.18 GPA. You simply don't have a good perspectives on this career, and chances are that it will show during interviews. Like the JHU lady told you, you need some time to mature. Perhaps a failed application cycle this year is what you need, but you can save yourself a lot of trouble by developing some perspective right now.

I don't know dude, I had a 3.49 GPA, 3.81 sGPA, and a 41R MCAT last year and I didn't get in ANYWHERE. Granted I didn't go to Duke, but even a Duke degree will have a hard time covering a .3 difference in GPA, downward/upward trend or not. I applied much more broadly than you did as well.

Given what you have posted on this board, you're gonna have a REALLY tough time in interviews even if you manage to get them with a 3.18 GPA. You simply don't have a good perspectives on this career, and chances are that it will show during interviews. Like the JHU lady told you, you need some time to mature. Perhaps a failed application cycle this year is what you need, but you can save yourself a lot of trouble by developing some perspective right now.

how do you have a 3.8 sgpa and 41 and not get in? sounds like a b/s post to me.

and for hiiieee, I could understand you not wanting to go to one school (unc). but i would recommend rereading being you post, people do take offensive to a lot of things. I am sure people at your Duke school think public schools are crappy. I am sure people at Harvard think Duke is crappy. I am sure people at state schools think community colleges are crappy. And I am sure all doctors/predocs think a lot of other jobs are crappy. Which is fine to think, but make sure it's with your inner circle and be more cautions before you post.

how do you have a 3.8 sgpa and 41 and not get in? sounds like a b/s post to me.

I've read his chances thread... he had a significant downward trend.

thought I could use another year to mature.

Based on your posts, I tend to agree and may even tack on a few more for good measure.

I'm not sure you realize how strong a criticism it is for an adcom to tell you you need time to mature. I'd think long and hard about why and what prompted the comment.

You're obviously intelligent and capable. I have no doubt if you stick your nose to it, lose some of the petty hang-ups, and apply SMARTLY, you'll end up at med school somewhere.

She wasn't covering her ass, she was telling the absolute truth: nothing is guaranteed in this admissions process. She's absolutely right you need more time to mature. Its not that you did '3/4ths of the work as other students due to your poor freshman year'. Plenty of people get in with having a poor freshman year. The issue is your sense of entitlement, delusions of granduer, and immaturity/arrogance that most likely came across doing your interview. Obviously the 'poor freshman year' wasn't a deal breaker since they invited you to an interview, so you are qualified for the school in their eyes. The most likely scenario is you went in there thinking your Tom Cruise from Top Gun and could just wow everyone and they should bow to your graces. Your posts have excuded this sentiment with your disregard for state schools and refusing to apply lower than top 20, feeling you won't be 'challeneged' (its med school, everyone gets challenged unless you're the Nikolai Tesla of medicine) at most schools. Hence, why she said you need another year to mature, and by working in a hospital setting straight out of college without a degree in the health fields or nursing you'll be at the bottom of the totem pole and it'll be a very humbling experience for you. I agree with her that a work experience that feeds you some humble pie would be the best thing that could happen to your application.

I've read his chances thread... he had a significant downward trend.

Yep, along with very poor EC, poorly prepared applications, and subpar interview skills, all of which at least partly indicate a maturity problem, which adcoms correctly identified:): hint to the OP ::).

the op's mcat is actually 3x the inverse of his actual maturity level imho.

3 top 20 schools? 3.18? LOL

you played yourself man. the adcoms saw through you like the invisible man. :cool:

I may be wrong here, but it seems to me you are more concerned with being able to say you go to a prestigious med school than you are with actually becoming a doctor. I'll share a little story and I hope it provides you with some perspective. A tech in the lab I did my graduate work in applied to med school before joining our lab. He had good stats; great ECs, his MCAT and sGPA were on par with yours, and his cGPA was better. He got accepted at his state school and waitlisted at a top 10. He was sure he was a great candidate and felt that the state school just wasn’t good enough for him. Well, he did not get accepted to the "better" school off of the waitlist. He reapplied for 2 cycles and was not accepted to any US allopathic schools. Now he's in med school in the Caribbean. Guess he should've just run with that state school acceptance because he’d already be a resident.
This is getting good =]

I may be wrong here, but it seems to me you are more concerned with being able to say you go to a prestigious med school than you are with actually becoming a doctor. I'll share a little story and I hope it provides you with some perspective. A tech in the lab I did my graduate work in applied to med school before joining our lab. He had good stats; great ECs, his MCAT and sGPA were on par with yours, and his cGPA was better. He got accepted at his state school and waitlisted at a top 10. He was sure he was a great candidate and felt that the state school just wasn’t good enough for him. Well, he did not get accepted to the "better" school off of the waitlist. He reapplied for 2 cycles and was not accepted to any US allopathic schools. Now he's in med school in the Caribbean. Guess he should've just run with that state school acceptance because he’d already be a resident.

You didn't make it clear whether he dropped the state school acceptance while waiting on the top 10 or whether he held it while waiting on the top 10 but decided to not attend and reapplied instead. Still an incredibly stupid move either way.

haha oh man.. hilarious thread. good job everyone.

but you, OP, you need to refer to avatar.

[Again, things are being taken out of context.. when I mentioned I'd apply to emory/vandy these were just 2 of the 11 schools.

I disagree...I think that things have been taken exactly in context. It wasn't that you said you were applying to Emory/Vandy (i.e. it wasn't just the number) - it was the fact that you said you "didn't have too much interest" in those schoools. Your whole attitude is immature and frankly out of touch with reality. You don't even seem to realize what truly excellent schools places like Vandy and Emory are - or to realize that with a 3.1 GPA you are quite a longshot candidate for those schools as well.

Hopkins interviewing you was like the hot cheerleader going out with the nerd in high school...for sh*ts and giggles

That's how I view my Duke interview. :laugh:

Except at my prom, all the guys are gay and I'm the nerd going out with the muscly quarterback.

Feel like I might as well opine here, and I have an interview at Duke by the way so maybe I'll see you! :)

State medical schools do not have push-overs. Let me tell you. Two of the brightest kids who were at my college prep school, were class president and had great grades ended up at University of Arizona. It is hard to get in. TRUST ME.

You'll be pushed there like you won't believe.

I don't know about you. But I'd love to go to my state school. It's cheap, close to family and friends, and I know people there. In fact, I'd probably go there over 80% of my other interviews so far (and I have 14 right now)

I dont think i can say anything that hasnt been said but...

u kiddin me bro?

for some reason you ONLY care about attending a prestigious medical school. why? seems like you like the idea of going to one, but it will not matter at all for your career

i really dont get how you can call any medical school program in the US 'crappy'. do you wanna be a doctor?

For the most part, here is what I made out from the OP.

"Hey guys, I have an amazing MCAT score, because Im smarter than you all. My GPA is not so good because I went in to college thinking I was too cool for school and totally messed up. Fortunately I transferred to DUKE one of few schools in the nation that can challenge someone as smart as me and got all A's. I pretty much feel I should be recruited by medical schools like a young lebron james instead I did them the favor of actually applying to their school and got rejected. So basically what do you all think of me just applying to Harvard over and over again until they take me in?...... O and well all of the schools that you all dream of getting into are not even good enough for me to look at. "

Before I get yelled at, I understand the OP never actually said any of this, but reading in between the lines, this is how it comes off to me.

But seriously man I second all of the things everyone else has said, get over yourself and think about why you want to become a doctor. Then realize that any medical school is a good school and will give you every challenge that you accept. The "lowest ranked" MD school in your state probably graduates MDs who go on to do amazing things whether they do some insane research or go into any type of residency where they hold people's lives in their hands every day!

She wasn't covering her ass, she was telling the absolute truth: nothing is guaranteed in this admissions process. She's absolutely right you need more time to mature. Its not that you did '3/4ths of the work as other students due to your poor freshman year'. Plenty of people get in with having a poor freshman year. The issue is your sense of entitlement, delusions of granduer, and immaturity/arrogance that most likely came across doing your interview. Obviously the 'poor freshman year' wasn't a deal breaker since they invited you to an interview, so you are qualified for the school in their eyes. The most likely scenario is you went in there thinking your Tom Cruise from Top Gun and could just wow everyone and they should bow to your graces. Your posts have excuded this sentiment with your disregard for state schools and refusing to apply lower than top 20, feeling you won't be 'challeneged' (its med school, everyone gets challenged unless you're the Nikolai Tesla of medicine) at most schools. Hence, why she said you need another year to mature, and by working in a hospital setting straight out of college without a degree in the health fields or nursing you'll be at the bottom of the totem pole and it'll be a very humbling experience for you. I agree with her that a work experience that feeds you some humble pie would be the best thing that could happen to your application.
:thumbup:

Oh Lord, where is the justice. Where is the justice when people don't want to go to their state schools and I'd gladly give up a limb to get into one!

Yep, along with very poor EC, poorly prepared applications, and subpar interview skills, all of which at least partly indicate a maturity problem, which adcoms correctly identified:): hint to the OP ::).

This was like me last year...too bad I'm not getting any opportunities to show off my improved interviewing skills!

Your GPA is not really competitive for the harder-to-get medical schools, and will likely make it difficult to get into ANY medical school this year. You need to think long and hard about your reasons for wanting to be a physician, and think about whether you are really read to get your hands dirty in this profession, and be ground down as part of your training, because you will be.
-Medicine fellow.

p.s. Most or all medical schools are likely to be very challenging academically, even if you were a top student in undergrad. Even if you were a top student at Duke. I had a 40+ MCAT and med school kicked my a-- and that's no lie.

Oh Lord, where is the justice. Where is the justice when people don't want to go to their state schools and I'd gladly give up a limb to get into one!
which limb?

Deep down I sort of wonder what this person is like. Check out my MDapps.

I'm the other extreme, convinced I'll be a bag lady.

Deep down I sort of wonder what this person is like. Check out my MDapps.

I'm the other extreme, convinced I'll be a bag lady.

You're crazy. You're going to have way more acceptances than you can handle. You'll be selling them off to the highest bidder. :p