$396k anesthesia sign-on bonus. No school debt.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anesthesiaman

Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi what are the find print details of the Navy $396k sign on bonus for anesthesia?

I'm a civilian attending 2 years out of residency. I don't have any med school, college, etc debt. Nothing. I have good income now. But most of my money comes from trading futures now (how I paid for med school). Would like to continue trading while in active duty and see the world.

I do Brazilian jiujitsu and speak Spanish fluently.

Can i choose where I work? (no, right?)
What is time commitment for the $396k sign on bonus? (3 years? 4?)
What is my salary during my years of service?

I would like to be in Japan, Spain, Germany, etc. What are my chances of being in one of these countries?

I don't want to be in body armor and in humvee avoiding IEDs on patrol. I want to be in OR.

Members don't see this ad.

Generally No. It depends where there are open positions at the time the assignments officer is giving you a position. You are lowest on the totem pole as others have already done their first assignment and will want the desiriable location. With that said, since you are an Anesthesiologist (and not FP), the undesirable locations are significantly cut.

Pretty sure 4 years active duty. Keep in mnd there is a 8 year service commitment when you sign a contract with the military. Any time of the 8 years not spent on active duty must be spent in either the IRR, Reserves, or Guard.

You will start as an O-3 with <2 years of service. You will also get Board Cert Pay, Medical Specialty Pay, Additional Special Pay, Variable Special Pay, BAH (depending on where you live), and BAS. In addition, if you are on a CCAT team and you have your wings, you may be eligible for flight pay (Not sure about this though). Here is a link for the pay chart

http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/militarypaytables/2010WebPayTable34.pdf

I would like to be in Japan, Spain, Germany, etc. What are my chances of being in one of these countries?

Unlikely, but there is always a chance.

I don't want to be in body armor and in humvee avoiding IEDs on patrol. I want to be in OR.

While unlikely, this will remain a possibility. There is always a chance that you may deployed to SE Asia. Nobody should join the military if they are not ready to deploy to an austere location. This is just common sense. I can't speak for Navy Anesthesiologist, but I doubt that they would be riding around in Humvees on patrol. However, the military has ever-changing needs and you are under their control. If they want to deploy you as a General Medical Officer (essentially a PCM for a unit providing primary care), they can.

Caveat Emptor.

My answers are bolded.

Going back into rersidency after completing a GMO tour, so my answers should be taken into account with other current and prior military peeps.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi what are the find print details of the Navy $396k sign on bonus for anesthesia?

I'm a civilian attending 2 years out of residency. I don't have any med school, college, etc debt. Nothing. I have good income now. But most of my money comes from trading futures now (how I paid for med school). Would like to continue trading while in active duty and see the world.

I do Brazilian jiujitsu and speak Spanish fluently.

Not sure what your motivation is - you've got the $ and it doesn't sound like you're a hoo-rah kind of guy who always wanted to wear the uniform, etc.

If you want to see the world, I recommend using some spare cash and picking a place to visit as a civilian. The places of the world the military goes to for long periods of time often aren't that scenic.

If you want to help out veterans, look into a contractor job at a VA or one of the large active duty facilities. I imagine they'll have openings.

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't know, but Navy anesthesia is currently overmanned and to the best of my knowledge there are presently
- no FAP slots for anesthesia
- no direct accession bonuses for anesthesia
- no civilian residency deferments for anesthesia
nor are any of these expected to be offered in the next few years.

This of course is subject to change on a year to year basis, and I'm not exactly in the inner loop of knowledge or planning.

As I understand it the $400K specialty-specific signup bonuses, while they are in some manner authorized by Congress, that doesn't mean that the invididual services either
- actually budget that money
- actually exercise that option for recruiting

You can convey your preferences, but there are no guarantees. Don't join with your heart set on anything.

Don't know, but probably 4 years.

Base pay of your rank (you may enter as an O3 or O4), plus housing allowance (~1500-2000/month depending where you are stationed), plus misc monthly/annual bonuses. Roughly $140-150K/year to start.

Japan - I'd guess pretty good. There are multiple positions there, and not many people want them.
Spain/Germany - chances are about zero.

You will deploy. You will occasionally wear body armor and travel in areas that have IEDs, or take rides in helicopters to get from point A to point B. But as an anesthesiologist you'll be doing OR work in a secure area. No patrols. Maybe some indirect mortar/rocket fire and while that risk isn't zero, it's low.

Reactions: 1 user
You will deploy. You will occasionally wear body armor and travel in areas that have IEDs, or take rides in helicopters to get from point A to point B. But as an anesthesiologist you'll be doing OR work in a secure area. No patrols. Maybe some indirect mortar/rocket fire and while that risk isn't zero, it's low.

I heard the Navy Consultant/Specialty advisor speak last year, and my understanding of what he said was that only about half of the anesthesiologists in the navy will deploy before they get out, and some of those "deployments" are 3 month cruises on hospital ships to South America. This is mainly due to the fact that there are 150 anesthesiologists in the Navy, whereas the Army has 90, and the Air Force has 80.

My answers are bolded.

Going back into residency after completing a GMO tour, so my answers should be taken into account with other current and prior military peeps.

Thanks, all for the knowledgeable responses. Yeah I'm not all hoo-rah although I did go to a military high school based with Army. And I don't have any money issues or school debt to pay off.

I basically just want to help my country, see the world from military perspective (I've already done major traveling and still do as my wife is from Europe where we go 2 months out of the year), and get paid.

But seeing how salary is maybe 3-4x less than civilian (depending on how much vacation I take), it seems it will be hard for military to recruit guys like me. Maybe if I had school loans it may make more sense. Also 8 yrs is too long. I can do max 4 only.

Then again life isn't about money, it's about doing good and helping others. That's where I've found that elusive thing called happiness.

I just got back from my Brazilian jiujitsu class and got my ass handed to me by the Instructor. Fortunately I do good against the other guys. Tomorrow I got a sternotomy/removal of an atrial mass in a 25 y/o kid. I cant wait to see what it looks like on TEE.

Well for those of you who are serving, thank you. I know that seems trite and insufficient for putting yourself in harms way but it is a sincere conveyance of gratitude.

Last edited:
Also 8 yrs is too long. I can do max 4 only..

To be clear what they mean by an 8 year obligation is that you serve 4 years on active duty and then another 4 in an 'inactive reserve'. The inactive reserve does not meet (ever), they do not get paid, and your only responsibility as an IRR member is to let them know where you are living by filling out a form once a year. The idea behind it was origionally that, if China ever invaded or something we could call up everyone who had recent military experience to fend them off while we were waited for the draftees to get trained.

The only reason anyone is even mentioning it is that, under GW, they began supplementing some of the enlisted grunts with IRR callups. That phase in GWOT is ending now, and even at their worst they never called up physicians that I'm aware of. I'm not saying that you should completely ignore it, since they do have the legal right to call you up during your IRR period, but it probably shouldn't be a deal breaker.

BTW it might cost you the bonus, but fully trained doctors have sometimes been able to negotiate shorter terms of service than 4 years. I think the minimum would be 2 (and, of course, 6 in the IRR). If you're interested it couldn't hurt to ask about it. Judging from what's posted above, though, it seems like the army might be a better bet than the Navy at the moment.

Also have you ever looked into Doctors without borders? If you want to help others and travel I know they're always dying for Anesthesiologists.

Last edited:
Thanks, all for the knowledgeable responses. Yeah I'm not all hoo-rah although I did go to a military high school based with Army. And I don't have any money issues or school debt to pay off.

I basically just want to help my country, see the world from military perspective (I've already done major traveling and still do as my wife is from Europe where we go 2 months out of the year), and get paid.

But seeing how salary is maybe 3-4x less than civilian (depending on how much vacation I take), it seems it will be hard for military to recruit guys like me. Maybe if I had school loans it may make more sense. Also 8 yrs is too long. I can do max 4 only.

Then again life isn't about money, it's about doing good and helping others. That's where I've found that elusive thing called happiness.

I just got back from my Brazilian jiujitsu class and got my ass handed to me by the Instructor. Fortunately I do good against the other guys. Tomorrow I got a sternotomy/removal of an atrial mass in a 25 y/o kid. I cant wait to see what it looks like on TEE.

Well for those of you who are serving, thank you. I know that seems trite and insufficient for putting yourself in harms way but it is a sincere conveyance of gratitude.

Cool.

Dude, you are making the right decision. This isn't going to be your cup of tea. Perrotfish is right; look into something like Doctors Without Borders, where you get to travel and do good without completely disrupting any career freedom you had. When you sign up with Uncle Sam, don't count on having any control of your life for the next decade.

If you want a look into the life of an active duty anesthesiologist, take a look here:

http://www.medicalcorpse.com/

It looks ridiculous at first. As someone who is living the life of an active duty AF physician though, I can tell you that every word is true; I've got my own collection of similar stories, and you do not want to be a part of this.

Cool.

It looks ridiculous at first. As someone who is living the life of an active duty AF physician though, I can tell you that every word is true; I've got my own collection of similar stories, and you do not want to be a part of this.

How long have you been AD? Two years?:thumbup:

396k bonus? Maybe I'll rejoin after I finish my residency...hehe. As for locations, as an anesthesiologist, you will be most likely working at a hospital, even in Afghanistan. You dont really have to worry about traveling in convoys, the navy anesthesiologists here work at the Role 3 hospital (hard structure).

Members don't see this ad :)
396k bonus? Maybe I'll rejoin after I finish my residency...hehe.

People who are already active duty can just sign a 4 year ISP/MSP contract if they want to extend their commitment. Last I checked a 4 year anesthesiology ISP/MSP was worth an extra $114K/year or $456K for the 4 year period the new joins would serve after collecting their $396K.

And that's assuming those big signup incentives are even being offered now ... which I don't think they are, at least for Navy anesthesia.

The inactive reserve does not meet (ever), they do not get paid, and your only responsibility as an IRR member is to let them know where you are living by filling out a form once a year.

Actually, I'm on IRR (AF) and just got orders for "muster duty"...one day of briefings at the nearest air force base. I think I will be paid $250.

Actually, I'm on IRR (AF) and just got orders for "muster duty"...one day of briefings at the nearest air force base. I think I will be paid $250.
I would decline the "invitation" unless they were going to give me the $2000+ lost for the day. I'm not sure that your attendance is actually required when in IRR status.

I would decline the "invitation" unless they were going to give me the $2000+ lost for the day. I'm not sure that your attendance is actually required when in IRR status.

It is required. I had to do one two years ago; big waste of time. Don't really know what they do if you blow it off, though.

And that's assuming those big signup incentives are even being offered now ... which I don't think they are, at least for Navy anesthesia.

Just outta curiosity, why do you think Navy anes is over-manned? Senior folks not getting out, bad job market??? or too many junior folks in GME or recently post GME?

Just outta curiosity, why do you think Navy anes is over-manned? Senior folks not getting out, bad job market??? or too many junior folks in GME or recently post GME?

Apparently they've deferred a lot of people to civilian training in recent years. The outservice class of 2009 was huge, more than Bethesda + Portsmouth + San Diego graduated that year.

Apparently they've deferred a lot of people to civilian training in recent years. The outservice class of 2009 was huge, more than Bethesda + Portsmouth + San Diego graduated that year.

Typical Navy BS. Instead of taking a few per year they overload all at once. In 4 years when they all get out they'll be scratching their heads wondering what went wrong. "I thought we solved this undermanning in anesthesia a few years ago???":confused:

out of curiosity, you were able to pay for your med school via futures training? how do you do that? how do i learn about futures trading? I have a lot of debt.

Last edited:
out of curiosity, you were able to pay for your med school via futures training? how do you do that? how do i learn about futures trading? I have a lot of debt.

Yeah, I need to know too.

Don't you think you'd be better off asking about a "system" to take to Vegas? At least at the craps table you know the odds and the house bias is consistently fair.

Newbies jumping into daytrading or commodities markets are like tourist suckers taking $1000 in chips to a poker table and sitting down with the locals. For every person who proudly and loudly claims to have come out $200K ahead, you can bet that ten lost money but never said a word about it because they were (rightfully) embarrassed about being suckers.

It is required. I had to do one two years ago; big waste of time. Don't really know what they do if you blow it off, though.

I read something about this, don't remember where. Apparently this is a legal issue for them: they can't prosecute you in the military for declining to be activated for IRR (meaning they can't change your discharge status from 'honorable' to something else) because you're not in the military until you activate. They can't sick the cops on you because there are no civilian laws saying that you need to follow military orders. So basically what they can do is make threatening phone calls. It's why the majority of people who are activiated to IRR don't actually end up going.

I read something about this, don't remember where. Apparently this is a legal issue for them: they can't prosecute you in the military for declining to be activated for IRR (meaning they can't change your discharge status from 'honorable' to something else) because you're not in the military until you activate. They can't sick the cops on you because there are no civilian laws saying that you need to follow military orders. So basically what they can do is make threatening phone calls. It's why the majority of people who are activiated to IRR don't actually end up going.

Good to know. I was going back in so didn't wanna piss anyone off along the way but next time around I'll keep it in mind.

Good to know. I was going back in so didn't wanna piss anyone off along the way but next time around I'll keep it in mind.

Keep in mind that they CAN do something to you if you for any reason choose to go on active duty a later date, so not going to IRR musters or activations or whatever does effectely mean that you're not ever going to be rejoining the military.

No.:laugh:
They don't make you go anywhere or do anything while in IRR status.
That is until they activate you...

I don't know why I forgot this until right this second, but I know a guy that was a flight surgeon, and, after separating, he didn't give an updated address x 2 (i.e. moved twice after separating), so he doesn't hear about the IRR stuff. What's funny is that he is NOT hard to find - you put in just his name into the intarwebz, nothing else, and where he works is the first hit.