3rd yr honors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodies

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how many rotations do you need to honor during third year to be decently competitive?

Members don't see this ad.

who have matched have very few honors besides their derm rotations, but have probably made up for it with board scores, research, recs, intangibles, etc. Some who have honors in nearly everything don't match.

But for the most people of course, the more the better, especially since a very strong 3rd year goes a long way towards AOA, which is very helpful, but not a must/guarantee. If you can't get AOA, then your class rank/specific grades in rotations would probably come more into play, and Honors in core rotations like Medicine are definitely helpful.

From what I know, there really aren't any absolutes or exact numbers, and the process varies from unpredictable to crapshoot. Still, most (but not all) people who are successful have more Honors (preclinical and clinical) than not.

So I had a mixed start to the year. I finished with a 4/5 which is not what I wanted. But upon reading my actual evaluation, it was pretty good. I even debated whether or not to argue for the extra point considering what they had written about me on paper, but I figure it would make me look like more of an uptight freak than I already am. (Yup...I'm self aware )

Another rotation went by where I felt I did much better.

And now I'm onto my 3rd one: internal medicine. So far, I'm feeling pretty confident. I've gotten good evals so far, even an offer for a letter of recommendation. (We have many, many evals in our internal med rotation)

But grade day today knocked some more air out of me.

I guess 4/5 is considered excellent or good. 5/5 is what we consider honors here.

Rotation #1 (psychiatry): 4/5
Rotation #2 (ob/gyn): 4/5
Rotation #3 (internal medicine): still pending

So my question is this. If I continue to rack up 4/5s but manage to get positive written comments on my evals and possibly some sparkling LORs, would I still remain a competitive applicant?

I've got some pretty nice 1st and 2nd year grades and Step 1 board scores. Not too much in the way of research and I've got no idea what AOA is so I'll go with a no-AOA-status. Still leaning toward something competitive like derm/rads. Thanks for the help. Let me apologize in advance if this kind of post rubs anyone the wrong way.