5 months before med school... what job to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vi0linm0nster

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fellow M0 matriculating into med school in the Fall. I am a traditional applicant with no gap year, and will be graduating at the end of March. Therefore, I have 5 empty months before med school starts. Original plans were to go on month long vacation and whatnot, but all plans have been cancelled with this massive coronavirus outbreak around the world and now I am left with nothing better to do at home.

With that said, I am currently resorting to finding a job to work for 5 months, but really aren't sure who would hire me knowing I will leave in less than a year. I am currently thinking about scribing, medical office front desk, or tutoring job at a test prep company. Are any of these ideas realistic and does anyone else have anything else to recommend me trying?

EDIT: I will have a Bachelor's in the life sciences field from a well reputated school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
varsity tutors - you just need your bachelors and hopefully can do math up to the high school level.

Can also work at Starbucks, you get a free bag of coffee a week. Save as many bags until medical school starts. And you get free spotify and all the drinks you can drink.

Reactions: 2 users
Fellow M0 matriculating into med school in the Fall. I am a traditional applicant with no gap year, and will be graduating at the end of March. Therefore, I have 5 empty months before med school starts. Original plans were to go on month long vacation and whatnot, but all plans have been cancelled with this massive coronavirus outbreak around the world and now I am left with nothing better to do at home.

With that said, I am currently resorting to finding a job to work for 5 months, but really aren't sure who would hire me knowing I will leave in less than a year. I am currently thinking about scribing, medical office front desk, or tutoring job at a test prep company. Are any of these ideas realistic and does anyone else have anything else to recommend me trying?

I personally recommend tutoring! That’s what I’m doing right now up until matriculation. The hours are flexible, especially if you tutor for a company that allows you to work an independent contractor. Also, when your students start referring their friends to you, you can charge $$$ for those private clients. It’s sweet, and low effort if you have an interest in certain subjects and can teach them well!

Edit: Also, with tutoring, you typically don’t have to sign a contract to work a specific length of time, which is great!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think tutoring is your best bet. Someone recommended Starbucks. I worked there for a year and LOVED it. I think that unless you lie to your interviewer, they probably won’t hire you. There’s A LOT of training that goes into working at Starbucks, and they aren’t going to be keen on taking someone who is leaving soon.

tutoring, nannying, dog sitting, landscaping, or any other person-to-person (and possibly cash payment read: no taxes) job is what i've found to be most flexible and adds up much more than youd think!!

I just got a summer research intern position at a lab. Also got higher pay because I showed them my acceptance letter and they said they would pay me the same as a graduate intern.

I've been struggling with this because most places, even some tutoring places I've been looking at, don't want to train and hire someone knowing they'll be gone in a few months

I'm graduating May 1, working till June 12 (continuing campus research job that somehow pays me $$$), then adventuring till first day of orientation lol. I would recommend tutoring for flexibility.

Depending on where you live, check out seasonal jobs as a server/busser/bartender at restaurant or club, or lifeguard, etc. There are a lot of jobs that pop up for the summer. You may end up with a bunch of college kids home for the summer but it can be good pay and they understand you're not there forever.

Reactions: 2 users
Do something unrelated to medicine/medical school. I’m in the same spot and am teaching MCAT for Kaplan, and I’d do anything to be doing a job with less work and less responsibilities. Think bartender, server, Uber driver, or something similar. You’re not going to make a ton of money in 5 months, so do something stress free and that doesn’t feel like a burden to you. For me, knowing I have no responsibilities other than pouring drinks occasionally for the next 5 months would be ideal.

100% take up serving. Find a country club, the season is just starting soon (unless you live in the south I guess) and business will be ramping up. The industry has such high-turnover that no one will bat an eye at you leaving in 5 months if you just never say anything about it.

If you have a ~518 plus on the MCAT, I highly recommend MCAT one-on-one tutoring. The pay is significantly above minimum wage, it is all online (and so won't get cancelled over the coming months), and the hours super flexible. There are a few companies that offer this and it is a much better deal than being an MCAT classroom instructor.