521, 4.0, 7 publications, good EC, only 2 II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

secure-delay-1314

Reaction score
I'm worried that I have only received 2 II so far including one from my IS school. I applied to essentially all T30 schools and wondering why II are not coming in. I wonder if my application is not strong enough to receive an interview this early and maybe I should just wait a few months. Or should I apply to more schools? I submitted most of my secondaries at the end of July/early August in the 2 week deadline so maybe I'm just stressing for no reason.
  1. 4.0 GPA
  2. 521 (130/129/131/131) but 513 the first time
  3. Utah
  4. ORM
  5. Public University
  6. 2000+ clinical hours in a hospital as an endoscopy technician (including being on-call), at a nursing home, and enrolling patients into clinical research
  7. 1000+ hours of research, 7 publications (a couple were first author), presented at 2 international conferences, also interned for a summer at the NIH
  8. Shadowed a few doctors and NP's not a ton of hours
  9. Slightly below average on volunteering maybe 200 hours or so clinical and nonclinical
  10. Other extracurricular activities: significant leadership experience in equity, diversity, and inclusion as an intern in the President's Office at my university, leader in my school's undergraduate research office, sat on an IRB board for years and started an IRB lab, started a Bollywood dance team
  11. Not really any outstanding honors/awards
  12. Put a big emphasis on wanting to be a public health physician and deal with health inequities from my work in my school's equity, diversity, and inclusion office, strong LOR

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Wowwww 1000 hours of research with mutiple first author publications? Do you mean an abstract or a peer-reviewed journal article?

Members don't see this ad :)
200 nonclinical volunteering hours is an issue.

How many shadowing hours do you have?

Besides your state school, who else has extended an invitation?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
With 2 II's, I presume no red flags. Let's not add to the illusion of premed inadequacy here. You really don't want all 30 II's to slap you in the face at one time. Be patient.

Reactions: 4 users
Wowwww 1000 hours of research with mutiple first author publications? Do you mean an abstract or a peer-reviewed journal article?
Peer-reviewed journals haha! I made good connections with clinical faculty members who push out publications alot

Reactions: 1 user
200 nonclinical volunteering hours is an issue.

How many shadowing hours do you have?

Besides your state school, who else has extended an invitation?
Yeah, I'm going to get more hours and send update letters to schools if I haven't heard back by Novemberish, hopefully that'll mean something. I have like 50 hrs of shadowing. And I got an invitation at UCSD as an OOS

I mean 2 II’s out of 30 with that kind of profile is pretty unusual
No, it's not. Many AMCAS schools have just begun inviting for interviews.
There is no reason for OP to feel insecure with 2 interviews at this stage, or any stage really.

• Love
The 2 MCATs average out to 517. Still excellent but not above average for a T20.