555 EM spots did not fill in Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate your reply but I’m not an idiot and you don’t have to treat me like one. I was simply hoping to hear someone’s genuine exposition on the future outlook for EM. Not just “run, hide, do anything else!”Preferably from a current resident or attending. Specialities have waned and waxed in popularity for many years and there have been similar issues in the past with other specialities that have course corrected.
Don't do EM unless you're doing it specifically to open your own facility or as a bridge to another field (ICU, pain).

I'm telling you this as someone with what I think is a much better job than many people here.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
The issues are discussed around here ad nauseum, so people get a bit tired rehashing them. But, I mean, it's bad. The stuff you're hearing is basically all true. Suffocating midlevel encroachment, but lol we also share their liability by cosigning their charts. Dizzying rate of residency program expansion to further dilute the job market for docs, with thousands of ER docs projected to be unemployed by 2030. Also, not a new issue, but EM is probably the worst non-surgical specialty for your health. The sleep schedule changes and minute-to-minute stress are bad for you physically and mentally. This last one could be forgiven in the past because good pay was more ubiquitous. You could theoretically jump in, work in the ED for a decade or so, save like crazy, then back up to part time/do academics/GTFO and do something else entirely. Even though well-paying EM jobs still exist, they're more rare thanks to the first two issues.
I appreciate your detailed response! I’m sure you’re correct and I’m beating a dead horse here. Admittedly, I don’t spent much time on SDN so I could’ve looked at past threads before asking my questions here. That being said, I appreciate you taking the time to respond and providing some substance for me to consider.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate your detailed response! I’m sure you’re correct and I’m beating a dead horse here. Admittedly, I don’t spent much time on SDN so I could’ve looked at past threads before asking my questions here. That being said, I appreciate you taking the time to respond and providing some substance for me to consider.
No worries. There are much better ways to get the rush of taking care of sick patients. Do critical care medicine, anesthesia, acute care surgery, interventional cardiology, or I'm sure one of half a dozen others I'm not thinking of. All specialties have their issues, but EM really seems to be in a uniquely ****ty spot.

Reactions: 4 users
Ooooh.... ooooh.... this is THE question.
He's going to say the things that he thinks EM is.
And we're going to tell him: "that's not what EM actually is".
Doesn’t really matter, but I’m a woman.

I’ve worked in the ED for the past several years (I’m a nontrad with some life experience) and really enjoy the diverse patient population, breadth of cases (from trauma to psych and everything in between), and scheduling. I prefer shift work to a 9-5, but that’s just me. I also appreciate that it’s non-surgical but involves plenty of procedures. Also enjoy that (in community EM) you get to treat peds - geriatric patients.

I am open to any suggestions for other specialities you would suggest. And I’m sorry if it seems like I’m beating a dead horse here in the thread.

I’m not trying to be an instigator or an ass kisser— I genuinely appreciate the insight and advice you all can give.

No worries. There are much better ways to get the rush of taking care of sick patients. Do critical care medicine, anesthesia, acute care surgery, interventional cardiology, or I'm sure one of half a dozen others I'm not thinking of. All specialties have their issues, but EM really seems to be in a uniquely ****ty spot.
These are good recommendations. I’ll make sure to prioritize shadowing in these environments and try to soak it all in on rotations.

I’m sure part of my EM bias is from personal experience.I love the ED that I work in. And the physicians I work with are largely happy to be there. So I’m sure my personal experience clouds my judgement to some degree.

Reactions: 1 user

I’ve worked in the ED for the past several years (I’m a nontrad with some life experience) and really enjoy the diverse patient population, breadth of cases (from trauma to psych and everything in between), and scheduling. I prefer shift work to a 9-5, but that’s just me. I also appreciate that it’s non-surgical but involves plenty of procedures. Also enjoy that (in community EM) you get to treat peds - geriatric patients.

I am open to any suggestions for other specialities you would suggest. And I’m sorry if it seems like I’m beating a dead horse here in the thread.

I’m not trying to be an instigator or an ass kisser— I genuinely appreciate the insight and advice you all can give.

Okay, instead of "Bro", I'll use "Sis".
Because there are two genders.

Sis. FM/IM/GAS.

I would rather never see another peds patient (or really, another geriatric patient - which is especially applicable because I live in the United States Capital of Old People).

Reactions: 6 users

Sis. FM/IM/GAS.

I would rather never see another peds patient (or really, another geriatric patient - which is especially applicable because I live in the United States Capital of Old People).
Lol I’m not the largest fan of children either so I see where you’re coming from there.

Not really interested in FM but I’ll definitely look heavily into IM or GAS. Thanks for those suggestions!

Maybe DR/IR as well?

Seriously, thanks for the insight. I feel as though I have made you grumpy, but it really wasn’t my intention.😬😬

EM has always been difficult. It used to be worth it because you could live where you want and you could make a lot while working a little.. You could have been a partner in a SDG and you were treated with respect

EM you will always work half of the weekends and half of the holidays you have a lot of liability for undifferentiated patients at their sickest. You get yelled at by patients, admin, nurses, patient's families and consultants. EM doesn't have much political power in large hospitals or in community hospitals.

To go into EM is like working hard and going into a field where you see most patients in the waiting room and see a lot of patient's in the hallways. But now you are in tons of debt and will work for 120 because you are working with a debt ridden CMG for 110 and hour seeing 2.2 patients overseeing two mid levels.

If you want to experience EM do the PA and NP route the do a psych NP which requires no training.

"Look at me I'm an eager medical student who wants to go to a field that will die in 10 years and when I get in I'll get my ass beat by patients and my loans!!!!!"

Reactions: 7 users
Ooooh.... ooooh.... this is THE question.
He's going to say the things that he thinks EM is.
And we're going to tell him: "that's not what EM actually

Sis. FM/IM/GAS.

Oh no you diiinnnnttttt two genders gonna piss someone off.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

Sis. FM/IM/GAS.

I remember being an M4, applying EM and being so excited for peds cases in the ED. Changed that opinion around July 3rd of intern year.

Lol I’m not the largest fan of children either so I see where you’re coming from there.

Not really interested in FM but I’ll definitely look heavily into IM or GAS. Thanks for those suggestions!

Maybe DR/IR as well?

Seriously, thanks for the insight. I feel as though I have made you grumpy, but it really wasn’t my intention.😬😬

Go drink beer or wine coolers or zima or whatever the cool kids are doing nowadays and aboid annnyyyrthhhiijnnnggggg related to medicine until school starts. Your soul will thank you. Shoooo

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree, no more peds or geriatrics.

Peds in the ED is:
1) Cough. Fever. Viral URI. Go home.
2) Cough. Stridor at 2 AM. Dex. Go home.
3) Fell down. Hit head. No CT. Go home.
4) Chronically ill FLK with multiple genetic abnormalities. Try to transfer to quaternary center with no beds and then board in the ED continuing to get stern looks from parents asking if you really know about their super rare disease as they carry around their binder.
5) Cough.
6) Cough and runny nose.
7) Congestion and cough.
8) Second visit. Why still coughing, it’s been 3 days already?
9) Cough, rhinorrhea and congestion for 5 days. The antibiotic from the urgent care doesn’t seem to be working. Now they have a rash!! Is it an allergic reaction? I need a new antibiotic! 🤦‍♂️
10) Cough. Cough. Cough…….soul sucking.

Geriatrics in the ED is:
1) Fell down 2 AM.
2) Weak. But why is my mom weak?
3) Dizzy. Which means anything.
4) Altered from SNF. Nope just the dementia that the new nurse didn’t know about.
5) Want to send them all home, but their family knows something is wrong and last time they were sent home they had to come back and were admitted. Can’t they just be admitted for a day so you can watch them? 🤦‍♂️
6) I don’t know why I’m here?
7) What are my medications? It’s in the compuder.
8) No we didn’t talk about a DNR/DNI. She was so healthy with her end stage cancer and a very active 90 year old. Can’t you do something more?
9) I’m still weak!
10) Whoops, I fell again.

Are you excited yet?

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 37 users

Yes some EM physicians like their jobs mine is very high paying but what they have is not what you will be walking into.

Ify you like shift work ask yourself: what do i like about working in the night then going back to days after one day.

If you like shift work hospitalist or rads or psych. You can do rural EM with some Family medicine

What do you like about working holidays and weekends?

What do you like about ER psych boarding?

What do you like about having no political power in the hospital?

I can't stand procedures I hate doing lacs. Incision and drainage? Lol I hate it. Central lines are a pain and cost you money if you do RVUs. Intubation is okay but lumbar punctures are a pain as well. Sedation are ok and fracture reductions are meh.

The reality is you are so busy and you have so much crap such as the 78 year old dizzy code stroke or the psych patient that needs sedation or trying to transfer a sick patient but all the hospitals are on diversion.

What do you like about deadly unicorn presentations that come in and being held accountable for it?

My favorite patients are "my sugar is high, i have a migraine and my blood pressure is high. Peds takes to long and the charts don't pay squat.

Groaned when I read "but" and stopped reading.

THE CYCLE CONTINUES
Clearly I hopped into the wrong thread hoping to receive some insight and guidance about the future of EM/other options to pursue instead only to be mocked and belittled.

For those of you who replied to me with genuine information / advice / tough love, I appreciate you taking the time out of your day

Peds in the ED is:
4) Chronically ill FLK with multiple genetic abnormalities. Try to transfer to quaternary center with no beds and then board in the ED continuing to get stern looks for parents asking if you really know about their super rare disease as they carry around their binder.
5) Cough.
6) Cough and runny nose.
7) Congestion and cough.
9) Cough, rhinorrhea and congestion for 5 days. The antibiotic from the urgent care doesn’t seem to be working. Now they have a rash!! Is it an allergic reaction? I need a new antibiotic! 🤦‍♂️

Geriatrics in the ED is:
1) Fell down 2 AM.
4) Altered from SNF. Nope just the dementia that the new nurse didn’t know about.
5) Want to send them all home, but their family knows something is wrong and last time they were sent home they had to come back and were admitted. Can’t they just be admitted for a day so you can watch them. 🤦‍♂️
8) No we didn’t talk about a DNR/DNI. She was so healthy with her end stage cancer and a very active 90 year old. Can’t you do something more?
9) I’m still weak!

Are you excited yet?
I didn’t literally mean peds and geriatrics specifically. I meant it more as a range from peds patients all the way to geriatrics. But point well taken 🤣

Thanks for replying.

Yes some EM physicians like their jobs mine is very high paying but what they have is not what you will be walking into.

Ify you like shift work ask yourself: what do i like about working in the night then going back to days after one day.

If you like shift work hospitalist or rads or psych. You can do rural EM with some Family medicine

What do you like about working holidays and weekends?

What do you like about ER psych boarding?

What do you like about having no political power in the hospital?

I can't stand procedures I hate doing lacs. Incision and drainage? Lol I hate it. Central lines are a pain and cost you money if you do RVUs. Intubation is okay but lumbar punctures are a pain as well. Sedation are ok and fracture reductions are meh.

The reality is you are so busy and you have so much crap such as the 78 year old dizzy code stroke or the psych patient that needs sedation or trying to transfer a sick patient but all the hospitals are on diversion.

What do you like about deadly unicorn presentations that come in and being held accountable for it?

My favorite patients are "my sugar is high, i have a migraine and my blood pressure is high. Peds takes to long and the charts don't pay squat.
I appreciate your insight. All good things to consider. My best friend is an EM nocturnist here in the metro Nashville area where I live. So perhaps my good experiences working in the ED + her experiences being happy with her job have created some roses colored glasses for me. I’ll certainly keep my mind open and explore other specialties.

Clearly I hopped into the wrong thread hoping to receive some insight and guidance about the future of EM/other options to pursue instead only to be mocked and belittled.

For those of you who replied to me with genuine information / advice / tough love, I appreciate you taking the time out of your day
Youre gonna need a tougher skin if youre gonna survive med school and residency. You came into a thread talking about the implosion of the specialty all excited about walking into said implosion. You brought this on yourself.

Reactions: 17 users

Peds in the ED is:
4) Chronically ill FLK with multiple genetic abnormalities. Try to transfer to quaternary center with no beds and then board in the ED continuing to get stern looks for parents asking if you really know about their super rare disease as they carry around their binder.
5) Cough.
6) Cough and runny nose.
7) Congestion and cough.
9) Cough, rhinorrhea and congestion for 5 days. The antibiotic from the urgent care doesn’t seem to be working. Now they have a rash!! Is it an allergic reaction? I need a new antibiotic!

Geriatrics in the ED is:
1) Fell down 2 AM.
5) Want to send them all home, but their family knows something is wrong and last time they were sent home they had to come back and were admitted. Can’t they just be admitted for a day so you can watch them?
9) I’m still weak!

Are you excited yet?

giphy.gif

Reactions: 9 users
Youre gonna need a tougher skin if youre gonna survive med school and residency. You came into a thread talking about the implosion of the specialty all excited about walking into said implosion. You brought this on yourself.
My skin is sufficiently thick, I just don’t understand why some people have to be mean for no apparent reason.

My initial post of …”how should I interpret this as someone who had always wanted to pursue Emergency Medicine?”

doesn’t mean I’m going to put my blindfold on and walk straight in. Seeking advice from you and other physicians was the whole purpose of my post.

Im not worked up or angry or sad in any way.

I’ll see my way out. Carry on. 🫡

Attachments

• 58EADD35-D4D9-420D-831C-923FD1037F52.gif
    58EADD35-D4D9-420D-831C-923FD1037F52.gif
    136.1 KB · Views: 60
My skin is sufficiently thick, I just don’t understand why some people have to be mean for no apparent reason.
Your skin will become much thicker as you move through your training, especially if you pick EM where you’ll develop bags under your eyes dealing with the stress (not sick patients that cause stress) and Circadian rhythm disruption. Your outlook will change. This isn’t necessarily a good thing. Ignorance is bliss and sometimes the best way to see the world is through the eyes of a child.

People aren’t being mean. You are just pretty naive and fresh. That’s ok. You haven’t been through what most on this forum have. Some of your questions aren’t unreasonable for someone that doesn’t know. They are just a little naive.

A lot of this has been discussed ad nauseam on this forum. Look back through old threads over the past few years. Or don’t and go enjoy your preclinical years.

If you don’t have a ton of debt yet, it’s fine to walk away from medicine. If you are dead set on medicine, there are a lot of potentially better fields to look into. Field popularity fluctuates. EM is potentially in a death spiral due to external forces, and it doesn’t have anything to do with inherent field popularity.

Your skin will become much thicker as you move through your training, especially if you pick EM where you’ll develop bags under your eyes dealing with the stress (not sick patients that cause stress) and Circadian rhythm disruption. Your outlook will change. This isn’t necessarily a good thing. Ignorance is bliss and sometimes the best way to see the world is through the eyes of a child.

People aren’t being mean. You are just pretty naive and fresh. That’s ok. You haven’t been through what most on this forum have. Some of your questions aren’t unreasonable for someone that doesn’t know. They are just a little naive.

A lot of this has been discussed ad nauseam on this forum. Look back through old threads over the past few years. Or don’t and go enjoy your preclinical years.

If you don’t have a ton of debt yet, it’s fine to walk away from medicine. If you are dead set on medicine, there are a lot of potentially better fields to look into. Field popularity fluctuates. EM is potentially in a death spiral due to external forces, and it doesn’t have anything to do with inherent field popularity.
I appreciate your sentiment about childlike positivity and agree— I’m thankful that losing my mother in undergrad, taking care of my sick father, switching careers, and watching my grandmother succumb to Alzheimer’s last year have not jaded me. I’m sure over time it will happen. But today I’m just happy to be here.

Like I mentioned earlier, I haven’t really spent much time looking on SDN at previous posts of similar nature. I’ll make sure to do that. 😊 thanks for the advice.

Maybe DR/IR as well?

I'm not grumpy at all; I just serve as the designated madman of this forum.

Peds in the ED is:
4) Chronically ill FLK with multiple genetic abnormalities. Try to transfer to quaternary center with no beds and then board in the ED continuing to get stern looks from parents asking if you really know about their super rare disease as they carry around their binder.
5) Cough.
6) Cough and runny nose.
7) Congestion and cough.

Geriatrics in the ED is:
1) Fell down 2 AM.
5) Want to send them all home, but their family knows something is wrong and last time they were sent home they had to come back and were admitted. Can’t they just be admitted for a day so you can watch them? 🤦‍♂️
9) I’m still weak!

Are you excited yet?

Oh my Gawd. That geri list actually hurt me.
I don't work again until Wednesday night and now I'm already agitated.

Reactions: 3 users
And yet, after flying her to tertiary care 2 weeks ago with multisystem organ failure on two pressors along with an insulin and D5 gtt, she returns to the local nursing home only to be sent back to the ED a few days later for "weakness", but still "wants everything done!"

WTF did she do in this life to make her fear death so much??

I appreciate your sentiment about childlike positivity and agree— I’m thankful that losing my mother in undergrad, taking care of my sick father, switching careers, and watching my grandmother succumb to Alzheimer’s last year have not jaded me. I’m sure over time it will happen. But today I’m just happy to be here.

Like I mentioned earlier, I haven’t really spent much time looking on SDN at previous posts of similar nature. I’ll make sure to do that. 😊 thanks for the advice.
Reading some of your posts, you should really consider FM more seriously. You can do clinic of course. But you can also do rural EM and have a definite escape plan that a lot of people in this thread wish they had. If you go to a good program (and none of them are really competitive) then you can be trained as a hospitalist, you can deliver babies, you can manage “womb to tomb” age ranges. The difference is that it’s actually more complex management than what you do in the ED which is discharge the urgent care type complaints and stabilize the sick patients while waiting for someone else to direct patient care. (I don’t mean this as a slight to ED docs as this is still important to do.). Admittedly, it’s very hard to be great at such a wide spectrum of care.

Furthermore, if you get sick of that level of breadth there are non-competitive fellowships to specialize in like sports med, palliative, geriatrics (I think), OB (which is the only competitive one), obesity, etc.

Best part is that you can get a job anywhere in the country by the end of this sentence. As an FM doc, you can live in any major metro you desire easily. Want to be a super sexy specialist? Enjoy living in a town with <100,000 that you’ve never heard of.

FWIW, I say all this as a rads resident.

View attachment 367655
Statement from the elders.
“We’re going to spend several million dollars investigating why this room is so hot.”

Or they could take their heads out of the sand long enough to see the house is on fire.

The worst part of all of this is that only EM cares about how the field is going belly up. It’s infuriating that people in my field and others I’ve spoken to not only don’t care about the plight of EM, their basically munching on popcorn and laughing it up! As if this isn’t the goal of corporate medicine for every field. Any one of us could be next. Physicians should be united against this corporate take over of medicine.

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
I came here to tell you guys you're all being way too tough and that emergency medicine has been excellent for me, pay has remained great with just a modicum of "read the room and be flexible within your community to work where the best jobs are" and blah blah blah. You don't need specifics. I was going to bring optimism.

Then about 15ish posts up someone said that it doesn't matter how good some of the current people have it.... Our current good situation is not what the new people will be walking into.

And that just sort of sucked ALL the air out of my line of thought because it's true.

****. We need to change our own future because the current.one we are heading towards is grim AF.

Reactions: 11 users
Oh my Gawd. That geri list actually hurt me.
I don't work again until Wednesday night and now I'm already agitated.
The only thing it was missing, at least for me, is some variant of, "she's demented/altered at baseline, but this is different " *insert vague subjective difference*

Also that elder statement, as someone else said, is ridiculous. They literally outline every single reason numbers are dropping. What's the point of the study then? Those organizations combined cant impact any of them, minus corporations practicing medicine but acep is too inbred with cmgs to really care.

As someone who failed to match EM 6 yrs ago (I think there were ~2 unfilled spots that year) and ended up SOAPing into anesthesia.

1. Thank god

1678788343967.gif

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 21 users
I appreciate your reply but I’m not an idiot and you don’t have to treat me like one. I was simply hoping to hear someone’s genuine exposition on the future outlook for EM. Not just “run, hide, do anything else!”Preferably from a current resident or attending. Specialities have waned and waxed in popularity for many years and there have been similar issues in the past with other specialities that have course corrected.
No there haven't been.

The only specialties that has ever genuinely faced a period of labour oversupply are Pathology and Rad Onc, and they never recovered.

Outside of medicine, we've seen that happen to both Law and Pharmacy, and they still haven't recovered over 10 years after reaching saturation.

Here's a secret - academia is utterly divorced from the labour market and thus, never really course corrects. Academic administrators hear "labour shortage" and ramp up construction of schools and expand programs until saturation hits, but never slows down or contracts because that would cost them money.

The only way EM could course correct is if people stop applying and SOAPing into EM. Programs rarely close on their own accord.

• Wow
Reactions: 19 users
No there haven't been.

The only specialties that has ever genuinely faced a period of labour oversupply are Pathology and Rad Onc, and they never recovered.

Outside of medicine, we've seen that happen to both Law and Pharmacy, and they still haven't recovered over 10 years after reaching saturation.

Here's a secret - academia is utterly divorced from the labour market and thus, never really course corrects. Academic administrators hear "labour shortage" and ramp up construction of schools and expand programs until saturation hits, but never slows down or contracts because that would cost them money.

The only way EM could course correct is if people stop applying and SOAPing into EM. Programs rarely close on their own accord.
You're correct. The only big changes we've seen is in popularity of certain specialties and that's almost always due to changing reimbursement.

no one come for me for lurking as an M-0 (will be attending a US MD this fall), but how should I interpret this as someone who has always wanted to pursue Emergency Medicine? I am familiar with the ACEP report... and hear mixed thoughts from the MDs I work with in the ED currently. Wait and watch for the next ~3 years to see if things change?
IM PGY-1 here. I thought I made a mistake going into IM and was seriously considering switching to EM so much so that I reentered the match late this year and had a few interviews. When I learned that EM is becoming a waste land job market wise, I decided to withdraw from the match and stay the current course. Nobody can tell you what to do with your life. My only advice is to not stay fixated on one path. Keep all of your options open and do as well as possible in school and on clinical to keep as many doors open for yourself as you can.

Edit: Also I think you're a bit early worrying about what specialty to go into. It's good to think about but I would focus my energy on learning and doing well first. You may totally change your mind about EM anyway once you get to clinical rotations.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
View attachment 367655
So many things wrong with this, not the least of which is this sentence: "We will work to ensure medical students fully understand our specialty when making their residency selections by proactively showcasing the advantages and addressing negative perceptions." So... we're going to put rose-colored glasses on the students and hope it works instead of actually fixing the problems. That's a recipe for burnout, and it's already happened to lots of us here.

The match results make me sad for our specialty and nervous about who's going to take care of me or my loved ones if we ever need a true emergency specialist. Apparently the powers that be have forgotten why EM was established in the first place. I can only imagine what our founders must think of this.

They'll need tougher skin if they're gonna survive a career in EM where people will regularly curse, scream, assault and threaten to murder you on a regular basis.

• Sad
Reading some of your posts, you should really consider FM more seriously. You can do clinic of course. But you can also do rural EM and have a definite escape plan that a lot of people in this thread wish they had. If you go to a good program (and none of them are really competitive) then you can be trained as a hospitalist, you can deliver babies, you can manage “womb to tomb” age ranges. The difference is that it’s actually more complex management than what you do in the ED which is discharge the urgent care type complaints and stabilize the sick patients while waiting for someone else to direct patient care. (I don’t mean this as a slight to ED docs as this is still important to do.). Admittedly, it’s very hard to be great at such a wide spectrum of care.

Furthermore, if you get sick of that level of breadth there are non-competitive fellowships to specialize in like sports med, palliative, geriatrics (I think), OB (which is the only competitive one), obesity, etc.

Best part is that you can get a job anywhere in the country by the end of this sentence. As an FM doc, you can live in any major metro you desire easily. Want to be a super sexy specialist? Enjoy living in a town with <100,000 that you’ve never heard of.

FWIW, I say all this as a rads resident.
This is all really good advice. I am from a rural area and, although I live in a Nashville suburb right now, my spouse and I will likely choose to remain in a rural area long-term so that would likely naturally lead to a wider scope as you have mentioned. Thanks for your insight!

They'll need tougher skin if they're gonna survive a career in EM where people will regularly curse, scream, assault and threaten to murder you on a regular basis.
This has been happening to me in the ED for the past 4 years already. I promise I'm not crying in the corner over here. I appreciate the insight you all have as someone who is young and not yet too jaded with medicine. I'm sure it will come.

IM PGY-1 here. I thought I made a mistake going into IM and was seriously considering switching to EM so much so that I reentered the match late this year and had a few interviews. When I learned that EM is becoming a waste land job market wise, I decided to withdraw from the match and stay the current course. Nobody can tell you what to do with your life. My only advice is to not stay fixated on one path. Keep all of your options open and do as well as possible in school and on clinical to keep as many doors open for yourself as you can.

Edit: Also I think you're a bit early worrying about what specialty to go into. It's good to think about but I would focus my energy on learning and doing well first. You may totally change your mind about EM anyway once you get to clinical rotations.
Thanks for all the solid advice here! IM is definitely a great specialty and will likely be at the top of my list of considerations because of the wide variety of fellowship opportunities as well as opportunities straight out of residency. I think because I'm a non-trad student and older than most of my peers it's probably harder for me to not stress about these things too early... It's way too easy to feel like I am already behind the curve a bit. But I'll definitely heed your advice and just focus on academic success for now.

View attachment 367655
Do any of these organizations actually have any power to close or stop residencies? Isn't this all acgme? If anything all they can do is lobby the government I guess.

One problem is that there is just a big disconnect between the people that can affect change (general public and congress) and the effects. Every doctor ****ing hates press ganey and it results in ****ty work life for us and patient outcomes and promotes a mid-level environment, but it is so ingrained in government and corporate metrics because people cannot perceive the relationship

View attachment 367655

Our organizations will continue to search for ways to find the optimal balance between the demand for future emergency physicians and the supply of training positions

I have zero confidence that they will actually do anything to address the supply of training positions or, more importantly, the quality of training.

Why am I so sure? Because among the myriad logos they threw on there, the only group that truly matters is missing: the ACGME (specifically, the EM RRC).

Status
Not open for further replies.