600K+ in Australia as a GP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kanata

Reaction score
Hello all, I am currently a resident in family medicine/GP in Canada, and starting to think about moving to Aus after my residency. Reason: the weather!;) I know a bit about the lifestyle in Aus, but still not sure what the earning looks like as a GP in Aus. People say 200k an average and some say 350k-400k.

For reference, a fam doctor in Canada can easily make 600K+ a year even at starting the practice just after residency. We have a lot of different and lucrative pay models, e.g., FFS, walk-in clinics, FFS and much more. Depending on your suitability, you can pick and choose your payment model. Now, this 600K+ is when you work 45-50 hours a week, seeing 35-40 patients a day in your office, and taking 4 weeks off. I personally know a few fam docs who make 800K-900K working a mix of ER, hospital inpatients and office. But naturally they work real hard, 50 hours a week at least and 50 patients a day in the office, plus the ER and hospital in-patients.

Now, I'm not expecting that a GP in Aus would be able to make 800k (although not sure if they can). I understand that mixed and private billing differs in how much you can make. Also, a GP would struggle to make 600k in their initial years. Once they build up a decent patient base then it'd be possible to make more. but please give me some insight as to what your work would look like to make 600k+ in Aus as a GP.

Also, please factor in the most recent changes in Medicare billing schedules and payments for GPs.
found here

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all, I am currently a resident in family medicine/GP in Canada, and starting to think about moving to Aus after my residency. Reason: the weather!;) I know a bit about the lifestyle in Aus, but still not sure what the earning looks like as a GP in Aus. People say 200k an average and some say 350k-400k.

For reference, a fam doctor in Canada can easily make 600K+ a year even at starting the practice just after residency. We have a lot of different and lucrative pay models, e.g., FFS, walk-in clinics, FFS and much more. Depending on your suitability, you can pick and choose your payment model. Now, this 600K+ is when you work 45-50 hours a week, seeing 35-40 patients a day in your office, and taking 4 weeks off. I personally know a few fam docs who make 800K-900K working a mix of ER, hospital inpatients and office. But naturally they work real hard, 50 hours a week at least and 50 patients a day in the office, plus the ER and hospital in-patients.

Now, I'm not expecting that a GP in Aus would be able to make 800k (although not sure if they can). I understand that mixed and private billing differs in how much you can make. Also, a GP would struggle to make 600k in their initial years. Once they build up a decent patient base then it'd be possible to make more. but please give me some insight as to what your work would look like to make 600k+ in Aus as a GP.

Also, please factor in the most recent changes in Medicare billing schedules and payments for GPs.
found here

Thanks.

Yeah nah.

You'd be in the 99.9th percentile making 600K unless you were working very rural, had a tremendous payer mix, or completely dominated a niche like skin cancer medicine.

I shifted from critical care to rural generalism (it's own thing in Australia) and earn north of that, but it's really hard work. I think 500K is reasonable working 1 in 3 (one week on and two weeks off) as a rural generalist.

PM me for exact figures and even payslips if you'd like.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yeah nah.

You'd be in the 99.9th percentile making 600K unless you were working very rural, had a tremendous payer mix, or completely dominated a niche like skin cancer medicine.

I shifted from critical care to rural generalism (it's own thing in Australia) and earn north of that, but it's really hard work. I think 500K is reasonable working 1 in 3 (one week on and two weeks off) as a rural generalist.

PM me for exact figures and even payslips if you'd like.
sent you a PM.