7 point improvement MCAT...still not good enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

User2338

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately, I am having no luck this cycle and haven’t even received one interview. I did apply late completing my secondaries in September and October. However, I am particularly concerned about my MCAT scores. I took the MCAT in 2011 and due to particular circumstances on the day I completely blew it getting a 23Q (7P 6V 10B). I still cant forgive myself for not voiding the exam because I knew from having taken practice tests that I had bombed it. But, I kept thinking I can't tell my family I voided and part of me kept thinking what if you get lucky with some questions (stupid I know!!).

So, I decided that I was going to retake the MCAT this summer when I was better prepared both in terms of material covered and more importantly mentally. I retook the MCAT in July and scored a 30Q (10P, 8V, 12B). I was extremely disappointed with my verbal score having worked so hard on the section. I was getting 10s and 11s on practice tests but unfortunately I don’t know what happened on the day. My question is do I have a shot at any MD schools with these scores? Will they be willing to forgive the original score and the 8 in verbal? I know that some schools average scores so clearly I have no shot with them. Other schools say they take the highest but I still have this feeling they ‘ll see the 23 and hold it against me.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I got in after a 7 point improvement.

Well, it depends upon your GPA as well. For argument's sake, I'll suppose you have the avg MD matriculant GPA of 3.6.

There are definitely schools which will take you, and others that will avg your schores and reject you outright. So, some careful reserach is required here.

Strongly suggest that you contact some deans of Admission and ask if you would be competetive. Compare their answers to their actual stats.

Some schools aslo prefer the "triple double", so even with a 30, that 8VR will keep you out of them.

Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately, I am having no luck this cycle and haven’t even received one interview. I did apply late completing my secondaries in September and October. However, I am particularly concerned about my MCAT scores. I took the MCAT in 2011 and due to particular circumstances on the day I completely blew it getting a 23Q (7P 6V 10B). I still cant forgive myself for not voiding the exam because I knew from having taken practice tests that I had bombed it. But, I kept thinking I can't tell my family I voided and part of me kept thinking what if you get lucky with some questions (stupid I know!!).

So, I decided that I was going to retake the MCAT this summer when I was better prepared both in terms of material covered and more importantly mentally. I retook the MCAT in July and scored a 30Q (10P, 8V, 12B). I was extremely disappointed with my verbal score having worked so hard on the section. I was getting 10s and 11s on practice tests but unfortunately I don’t know what happened on the day. My question is do I have a shot at any MD schools with these scores? Will they be willing to forgive the original score and the 8 in verbal? I know that some schools average scores so clearly I have no shot with them. Other schools say they take the highest but I still have this feeling they ‘ll see the 23 and hold it against me.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a 12 7 10 and got an interview in February and was accepted in March. Keep the faith.

I think your huge improvement makes you a competitive candidate at many schools. As others have said, figure out which schools are going to average your scores and avoid spending the money on them. Apply broadly and (assuming good ECs/GPA) I think you'll do fine.

Thanks for getting back to me! I really hope I can be like SeminoleVesicle and land a late interview and acceptance. However, at this point I’m being realistic and it looks like its time to prepare for the next cycle. I will definitely make sure to investigate which schools average MCAT scores and avoid them. As for the rest of my application, I graduated with a 3.28 cGPA (awful freshmen year) and a 3.30 sGPA so I entered a one year postbac program. I was advised to take 24 credits of science classes and finished with a GPA of 3.83. As for ECs, I’ve done a good amount of volunteering and shadowing. I was also a TA and have been involved in on campus clubs as an undergraduate. Unfortunately, I am missing research experience, which I am desperately trying to gain at the moment.

So with the additional info if I apply in June and I can get some research under my belt do you think I have a decent shot at landing some interviews?

For what it's worth, I had a 3.80 and some pretty strong EC's. I also sent an update letter to the school I was accepted to. Start working on next year's application or back-up plan NOW.

Yup, I think you'll be fine.

Thanks for getting back to me! I really hope I can be like SeminoleVesicle and land a late interview and acceptance. However, at this point I’m being realistic and it looks like its time to prepare for the next cycle. I will definitely make sure to investigate which schools average MCAT scores and avoid them. As for the rest of my application, I graduated with a 3.28 cGPA (awful freshmen year) and a 3.30 sGPA so I entered a one year postbac program. I was advised to take 24 credits of science classes and finished with a GPA of 3.83. As for ECs, I’ve done a good amount of volunteering and shadowing. I was also a TA and have been involved in on campus clubs as an undergraduate. Unfortunately, I am missing research experience, which I am desperately trying to gain at the moment.

So with the additional info if I apply in June and I can get some research under my belt do you think I have a decent shot at landing some interviews?