80% Employed Breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDCandidate2014

Organ Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's no secret that the 80% employment rate (prediction of employment in this profession) of 2020 is INFLATED by the staff and faculty of the profession.

What percent of this 80% is actually working there practicing and not reading off PowerPoint slides? Any reasonable predictions?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just to be clear, in case there are pre pharmers lurking around:

Faculty/staff = the instructors and administators at your local pharmacy school. Just needed to clarify that, since a majority of delusional pre pharmers need everything spelled out with crayons.

It's no secret that the 80% employment rate (prediction of employment in this profession) of 2020 is INFLATED by the staff and faculty of the profession.

What percent of this 80% is actually working there practicing and not reading off PowerPoint slides? Any reasonable predictions?

Those freaking crooks are deserved to go to jails !!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to be clear, in case there are pre pharmers lurking around:

Faculty/staff = the instructors and administators at your local pharmacy school. Just needed to clarify that, since a majority of delusional pre pharmers need everything spelled out with crayons.

LoL :)

Indeed... take a look at the recent avg PCAT scores of admitted pharm students and their VA and RC subscores... but I have heard that more and more schools do not care about verbal and reading anymore... Oh ya, they purposedly do not want the students to understand... Just sign over the checks !! (duh) :)

What percent of this 80% is actually working there practicing and not working in non-pharmacy jobs? Any reasonable predictions?

Reworded. An 80% employment rate would still mean a 20% unemployment rate and does not even include those who are underemployed. The 80% figure would can include people who work at Home Depot or Starbucks - and yes, this has been happening to law school graduates.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
LoL :)

Indeed... take a look at the recent avg PCAT scores of admitted pharm students and their VA and RC subscores... but I have heard that more and more schools do not care about verbal and reading anymore... Oh ya, they purposedly do not want the students to understand... Just sign over the checks !! (duh) :)

I wouldn't put much stock into the reading/verbal part of the PCAT either. I got a 96% in bio and 84% in chem and a 27% in reading.

I wouldn't put much stock into the reading/verbal part of the PCAT either. I got a 96% in bio and 84% in chem and a 27% in reading.

California got wise and most of the reputable schools don't use this useless test. Only that ******* for profit one does.

I remember cramming for it and scoring super high. It's great at telling people how well you guess on multiple choice.

I wouldn't call it useless, it's a rather easy test so it can be used to identify a person with a high gpa who doesn't look like they know what they're doing. We had a few of those in my class coming from community colleges.

California got wise and most of the reputable schools don't use this useless test. Only that ******* for profit one does.

you need to check facts again. But obviously there is nothing but only the United States of California lol

imho, the reason that California schools do not use PCAT bc they do not want to explain why they do not wanna take high qualified OOS students. They just do not want transparency in their admission. But I know it is so easy to compare the quality of essays and extracurriculars and leadership, right ?? so objective :)

I remember cramming for it and scoring super high. It's great at telling people how well you guess on multiple choice.

you probably were the one in your class who was asking for essay and/or oral exams right ?? lol :)

Last edited:

I wonder if the same can be said for the MCAT. I took the PCAT and the MCAT in the same year without studying and I only got a 24M on the MCAT.

I remember the MCAT wasn't really asking for specific knowledge based questions but some ******ed critical thinking/problem solving bs.

I wonder if the same can be said for the MCAT. I took the PCAT and the MCAT in the same year without studying and I only got a 24M on the MCAT.

I remember the MCAT wasn't really asking for specific knowledge based questions but some ******ed critical thinking/problem solving bs.

without any studying, a 24 on the MCAT is actually very good imho :)

I took the PCAT recently (2013), and it seemed that the PCAT was now modeling after the MCAT (at least very similar in style) esp in the reading comprehension section.

but again, college admission without any sort of standardized test is not good imho !!

without any studying, a 24 on the MCAT is actually very good imho :)

I took the PCAT recently (2013), and it seemed that the PCAT was now modeling after the MCAT (at least very similar in style) esp in the reading comprehension section.

but again, college admission without any sort of standardized test is not good imho !!

A 24 with a 3.1 GPA wouldn't get you into an established NYC/Boston/Philly med school would it?

A 24 with a 3.1 GPA wouldn't get you into an established NYC/Boston/Philly med school would it?

no it would not generally... but you might be able to get in a DO school in the country I think... still no study scored 24 is very good imho. I have read about people studying hard for the MCAT but scoring lower than that...

I think standardized tests like the PCAT are good. Not all GPAs are equal, but everyone takes the same standardized PCAT exam. Someone could probably easily get a 3.8 at some institutions or by scoping out for easier teachers/testers whereas someone may have been in a more academically intense institution and got a 3.0 but actually has a better understanding of the material and may be more academically equipped for pharmacy school. The PCAT is supposed to test competency on core areas taught in undergrad, someone could have had a chem teacher that set the A threshold at an 80 and gave extra credit on every exam and then also curved their test while someone else could have had a much more difficult instructor with set grading guidelines, a higher threshold and a more thorough test with one student making an A in an easier version of the same course while the other made a B or C but actually knows the material better.

Reactions: 1 user
But obviously there is nothing but only the United States of California lol
Can't wait 'til we're independent one of these days! You know it, hah.

you probably were the one in your class who was asking for essay and/or oral exams right ?? lol :)

Oh hell no, I wanted the exams to play to my advantage (multiple choice). My hand would hurt after written exams.