A bad side of pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RLK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been working as a drug clerk now for about a month to see if I would like retail pharmacy. Tonight at work, the customers weren't mean to me, probably because I don't really know anything yet but they were really mean to the pharmacist. It was like one dingus after another. The customers tonight reminded me of my job at McDonalds when I was 16 years old. I'm going to have to think about this some more and think if this is something worth putting up with.

Members don't see this ad.

RLK said:
I've been working as a drug clerk now for about a month to see if I would like retail pharmacy. Tonight at work, the customers weren't mean to me, probably because I don't really know anything yet but they were really mean to the pharmacist. It was like one dingus after another. The customers tonight reminded me of my job at McDonalds when I was 16 years old. I'm going to have to think about this some more and think if this is something worth putting up with.
I understand what youre saying but that could happen at any job...not just pharmacy. If you think they treated that pharmacist badly, just imagine seeing the way they'd talk to an ER doc., Dentist,optamologist, lawyer etc. Its not like retail pharmacies have cornered the market in dealing with a$$holes :laugh: I think we get off alot easier than most...but thats just my opinon I could be wrong :D

I understand your feelings. I used to think that when I got out of high school people would be mature. Then I thought things would change when I got out of college and got a "real job". Then I discovered that the world is populated with a$$holes, dumb a$$'s and smart a$$'s. So my best advice is to decide which one you want to be and develop a thick skin against the others. ;)

j/k about the last bit. Except for developing the thick skin. Im still working on that myself. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah it can be rough dealing with jacka$$es at work... you don't have to work retail though. You could work in a hospital or in nuclear pharmacy etc. There are lots of options for pharmacists.... but the fact remains mean people are everywhere and every job will have a few! Good luck in your new job!
PS I've been a tech for about 2 1/2 years and for the most part, I really love it. Most people are actually very nice and quite grateful for your help.

Maybe the customers have something else on their mind during the day or was just in a bad mood. The costumer figures that they could just vent at the professionals because they feel that it is their right too. (I'm not saying that it is right) This is just another point of view.

I also shadowed an optometrist because it's another field I'm considering. When I shadowed him, not one person was mean and nasty. I'm wondering if people just don't really give pharmacists as much respect as another type of doctor. I don't think anyone really views a pharmacist as a doctor even though they may have a doctorate degree.

Honestly, if your pharmacist has nothing but problems, it's probably his own fault. People generally reflect attitudes that they see. And, they are very manipulateable, if you are willing to put in the effort to do so.

RLK said:
I also shadowed an optometrist because it's another field I'm considering. When I shadowed him, not one person was mean and nasty. I'm wondering if people just don't really give pharmacists as much respect as another type of doctor. I don't think anyone really views a pharmacist as a doctor even though they may have a doctorate degree.

What's with the change of heart? Every other post you have posted here seems to be a plea for anyone listening to post "their stats, the easiest school to get into, can I get in retaking courses, ect."

I don't have a problem with that and it's all fine and good, but just stop wasting the time of those replying if you haven't done your research about the profession and the options other than retail that are out there.

RLK said:
I don't think anyone really views a pharmacist as a doctor even though they may have a doctorate degree.
:rolleyes: Here we go again

bananaface said:
Honestly, if your pharmacist has nothing but problems, it's probably his own fault. People generally reflect attitudes that they see. And, they are very manipulateable, if you are willing to put in the effort to do so.
I agree. Also, in community pharmacy, customer service goes a long way to have happy patients.

Frequency is key here. People see their optometrist, what, once a year being the most frequent.

They go in, they go out. You piss off the optometrist, they tell their tech to puff multiple puffs of air into your eye as punishment. You piss them off more, they slam the glasses thing into your forehead when you sit down in their chair in the examination room. Scream for help? Futile since the door has been closed.

Community pharmacists on the other hand are out in the open so cannot employ such conspicious actions. That and they will probably see the same customer again in a month. Their acts of retribution must be more subtle... say for example suggest that the customer test their blood pressure in the "newly adjusted pressure cuff" :smuggrin:

That and people wait in line to see the pharmacist. Americans hate lines. The first pharmacy to create a register that services those with "Cash-Only" payments will be one of the more popular ones. :smuggrin:

While it is true that your pharmacist's personality may have led to his/her customers being mean, let me ask you something. Having shadowed a retail pharamcist and an optometrist, what do you think was the main difference in terms of setting? In the former, I'm assuming people are shopping with probably kids or some stuff they picked up at the store or are there for some other purpose right? In the latter, people brought their kids to the optometry for one purpose and it is to either get contacts, glasses, eye check-up, basically anything eye-related, right?

I was at Walmart the other day and all these people were waiting for their photos; yes, the photo lab technicians were understaffed so the wait was INCREDIBLY long even for my 1-hour photos. However, that doesn't mean they deserve to be treated badly by the customers.

So what I'm saying is that I've noticed that in any profession in a retail setting (multi-purpose settings like Walmart [food, clothes, Rx, photos], people can and will be rude. It is a high stress environment not only for the employees but ALSO for the customers--haven't you ever noticed the gazillion customers at Walmart? :eek: You may not have noticed anyone being rude to your optometrist b/c you don't usually see optometries in retail settings where people can go there to run a bunch of errands (don't forget to pick up that carton of milk and the toilet paper!)--I cannot comment on how it is to work at the optometry at Walmart since I've never worked there. That is just my opinion.

GL.

Members don't see this ad :)
RLK said:
I don't think anyone really views a pharmacist as a doctor even though they may have a doctorate degree.

Same can be said of optometrists or anything other than a medical doctor. But yeah, let's not go there 'cuz there are SEVERAL threads on this...blahhhhhh

endlesslove said:
Same can be said of optometrists or anything other than a medical doctor. But yeah, let's not go there 'cuz there are SEVERAL threads on this...blahhhhhh

Well at least now I see the importance of getting some exposure to the field before going into it.

RLK said:
Well at least now I see the importance of getting some exposure to the field before going into it.

It's always a good thing to experience a career before entering it! But realize, you are experiencing someone else as a pharmacist not yourself. It's all what you make of it! :) There's always going to be a few jerks in the pharmacy but there are also a lot of wonderful patients too... Good luck!

bananaface said:

This is no less than 100% truth. I can see subtle differences in the way people respond to our pharmacists when they're having good or bad days. When you act like it's a chore to go ring up someone's prescription (like one of our pharmacists sometimes does), they're going to respond to you in kind. When you make it clear that you're there to help, they calm down. I've worked with some awful reliefs who were just nasty to everyone, techs included, and the customers notice.

When I first started in retail, I hated it. I almost reconsidered pharmacy school. But now, I'm learning things and I'm getting to know the regular customers, and life has become much easier.

RLK said:

You also have to remember that people are generally not happy to be in the pharmacy. I was appalled by the rudeness and audacity of some people when I first started, but you'll learn to handle it. You just have to treat people the way they wish to be treated within a reasonable extent. So they spell "Smith" out for you every time they come to pick up an Rx? So they roll their eyes and say nasty things when they're out of refills and supposedly it's YOUR responsibility to tell them? So you're tired of people who request DAW 2 and then complain about their copays? Most people are unusually aggressive when they come to the pharmacy, and to a point, rightfully so. Like it was mentioned earlier, imagine what doctors put up with. And you may have shadowed that optometrist on a good day. I guarantee that 100% of patients are not happy 100% of the time. Just roll with the punches.

Keep in mind that people who fuss and carry on because they have to wait 2 minutes in line at McDonald's are the true a$$holes. Medication is different. They may not understand why it often takes 15 minutes to fill a single Rx, but you know that you're working with the patient's safety and best interests in mind. In the long run, even if they complain, deep down they still appreciate what you do for them.

It's also good that you're thinking this way now, instead of going thru 4 years of school only to realize you hate it. My pharmacist said that a girl who came to do her rotation at our store wound up selling Mary Kay about 4 years after graduating from a PharmD program.

FYI, there are several people who are unaware of the education that pharmacists receive. It's a given (hopefully) when you go to your doctor's office that they've had 8 years of college plus years of residencies. That's the common source of "Ohmygosh I can't believe it takes 15 minutes to fill a Z-pack!"

b*rizzle said:
You also have to remember that people are generally not happy to be in the pharmacy.

Most people come to the pharmacy because they are not well and they need their medicine. One reason people are not happy. Most people will then have to dish out money for those rx's because they're not well. Another reason people are not happy.

You earn the respect from the customer service that you provide. So when you have that customer who is oh so rude, you give them the best customer service like you'd want to be given, and more likely than not...the next time they'll remember that and be nicer to you. Those who seem to always be unhappy are probably unhappy with themselves and life in general, and sometimes you can't do anything about it.

But hey, community pharmacy may just not be for you. This is where I do like the others before me and suggest looking into other fields of pharmacy also. There's plenty more out there. Good luck.

I just started working at Walgreens as a new tech about a week and a half ago. It's fun so far, and I haven't had an excessive ammount of people be that rude or impatient--though I've been told working at this store in Trinity, FL is very misleading. I think a lot of it is just how the pharmacist handles the situation. I've watched the pharmacy manager do all that he can for patients, or at the very least show genuine concern, and turn their mood around in 30 seconds flat. People don't like coming into a pharmacy and being treated like customers that you just want to shoo out the door.

I still think I'd rather work in a hospital though, I really don't like dealing with people, even rich ones that don't complain when they have to shell out $300 for one med.

No matter where you work, you will always find a$$holes. Unfortunately, that's the way it is.

I have one friend working with me who dropped out of pharmacy school (4th year). She told me that while she was working at a pharmacy people were mean to her and she was very upset about it. Although this was not the only reason why she left pharmacy school, she thought that working for Pfizer things would change. She was wrong!!!

You have to learn to how to deal with individuals. If Pharmacy is your choice, don't let this events change your mind :)

hcp said:
No matter where you work, you will always find a$$holes. Unfortunately, that's the way it is.

I have one friend working with me who dropped out of pharmacy school (4th year). She told me that while she was working at a pharmacy people were mean to her and she was very upset about it. Although this was not the only reason why she left pharmacy school, she thought that working for Pfizer things would change. She was wrong!!!

You have to learn to how to deal with individuals. If Pharmacy is your choice, don't let this events change your mind :)

what's the deal with Pfizer? People were mean there too? I ask b/c I think Pfizer and a hospital pharmacy are my top 2 areas of interest for now--I've just recently discovered that I want to do the behind the scenes stuff where I don't have to deal with a lot of people...i like them but too much is not good for me. i want to "help people" by working behind the scenes. But can you work at Pfizer if you have only a PharmD as opposed to also having a PhD?

hcp said:
I have one friend working with me who dropped out of pharmacy school (4th year).

She dropped out her 4th year?!?!?!?

i don't care how much you hate it... that's stupid

endlesslove said:
what's the deal with Pfizer? People were mean there too? I ask b/c I think Pfizer and a hospital pharmacy are my top 2 areas of interest for now--I've just recently discovered that I want to do the behind the scenes stuff where I don't have to deal with a lot of people...i like them but too much is not good for me. i want to "help people" by working behind the scenes. But can you work at Pfizer if you have only a PharmD as opposed to also having a PhD?

I'm currently working for Pfizer as a quality control analyst. Do I have a$$holes working with me? Absolutely!!!

Let me just tell you that Pfizer is a big company with different sites all over the world. Not all sites are the same. They manufacture and test different products from consumer health products to prescription drugs.

The main problem is that some people don't respect you and think that you are a slave. I don't like to be harassed and asked the same question "how long will it take to finish the xx test" or "while you are working with xx product, can you do this in between"... You tell them it takes 30 minutes, and 15 minutes later Godzilla [my supervisor] comes back and is ready to burn you alive... I understand that we have a 24/7 operations site but that doesn't mean we are in a sweat shop.

This is just my own experience, and doesn't necessarily mean that you will go through the same thing.

This is an interesting thread. Here are some observations I made during my pharmacy career.

1) Even jerks respect someone who can control his/her emotions. It is amazing how someone will calm down when they can tell that you are trying to "fix" whatever they are upset about.

2) Realize ahead of time that a good many patients you encounter each day will be upset. Let their frustrations roll off you, but be careful when a patient/customer "dresses you down" in front of other waiting (probably impatient) customers. If the upset patient's vocal concerns are valid, own up to your "mistakes" without making yourself legally vulnerable---- the other customers/patients waiting will take notice and will probably calm down, and cut you some slack, and the patient voicing a gripe will prob calm down too.

However, if you as a pharmacist or student or tech are "dressed down" unfairly by a patient, you should calmly but assertively "set them straight" that the criticism is not valid (or give them a good explanation), otherwise you do run the risk of allowing this one "jerk" to adversely influence the other waiting customers/patients. You should never let a patient/customer publicly accuse you of something that is untrue without giving a calm but assertive response. The customer is NOT always right. The key is to just be CALM and, like others have mentioned on this thread, try not to take things too personally.

3) Under promise and over-deliver. Although your managers will not like this necessarily, it certainly works. If you're not too backed up and you really know you'll have someone's script ready in five minutes or less, tell them " this should be ready in 10 minutes or so" ..........then when they're paying for the prescription 4 minutes later, you and your staff come out looking very efficient and caring, which of course you are.

4) Jerks hate folks that don't get upset at them, but especailly don't like those who not only don't get upset, but who also do not back down to them. It may make the jerk more upset at first, but then they usually give in as they sense your inner strength and know they are no match for you.

CD

hcp said:

dropping out in the fourth year presumably left an enormous debt and no degree to show for it. not a great choice.

kellia said:
dropping out in the fourth year presumably left an enormous debt and no degree to show for it. not a great choice.

I agree with you. It was not a very smart choice. I even told her that she should try to go back and finish Pharmacy school. I'm just wondering if that would be possible? Do you have any ideas???

hcp said:
I agree with you. It was not a very smart choice. I even told her that she should try to go back and finish Pharmacy school. I'm just wondering if that would be possible? Do you have any ideas???

If she is interested in finishing her degree, I would suggest that she contact her former school for information. I am sure that they would be able to direct her.

DownonthePharm said:
I understand your feelings. I used to think that when I got out of high school people would be mature. Then I thought things would change when I got out of college and got a "real job". Then I discovered that the world is populated with a$$holes, dumb a$$'s and smart a$$'s. So my best advice is to decide which one you want to be and develop a thick skin against the others. ;)

j/k about the last bit. Except for developing the thick skin. Im still working on that myself. :(

I came to a conclusion after working nearly a full year at a pharmacy. I work at a "Fred's Pharmacy" store if any of you are fimiliar with the Freds chain. We deal with alot of lower income people. I have to say that when I started working there nearly a year ago, I had the biggest problem with many aspects such as peoples attitudes, people's poor choices, and Medicaid.
First of all I know that some people who come to the pharmacy are sick and are unhappy because of that. Alot of people aren't necessarily sick, but they need to pick of their monthly medications such as blood pressure and cholesterol medicine. Of course it has to be aggrevating to make eighteen trips to the pharmacy per month. When arriving at the pharmacy, some people may feel as though they just left the pharmacy. So sure its got to suck to be a very regular customer or a sick customer at a pharmacy. But I think it goes beyond that. Some people simply do not possess social skills. It's aggrevating for people that do everything in their ability to accomodate these people, because it seems that you can never satisfy them. Alot of these people don't even think about how they are acting because it's just how they are; they just don't have the people skills that some us may have.
I can't stress enough how many times I've seen people pay only a few dollars for very expensive perscriptions because they are covered by the medicaid plan.

"Wuh? My subcription is two dollars? Itused to onlybe 1!" Of course, this same person also has 2 boxes of little debbie's snackie cakes and a few bags of nutritious pork rinds, which together exceed the cost of their copay for an averaged priced perscription.

And who supports these people? We do as taxpayers! Of course its sickening to see some people make such back-assward choices, but let's face it, some people just aren't smart enough to make intelligent decisions. Constantly, our state tries to redefine the standards of medicaid, and faces a huge backlash. I'm not one for just giving up on an issue, but there is only so much fighting you should do for a lost cause.

I have reached the conclusion that no matter how ridiculous medicaid seems, how ignorant some peoples choices seem to be, and no matter how horrible a customer's attitude and personality are I should just learn to deal with it the best that I can. Lets face it, this is the public that we are working with...
I am not saying that we should tolerate everything, but I could always try to be a little more understanding and stop spending so much time complaining about people and conditions.

There are definately downsides to Retail Pharmacy, but there are downsides to ever job. If there weren't downsides, I wouldn't consider it a job.
The fact that some aspects of the people and medicaid aren't to my liking, will never take away my passion for profession.

Brock1385 said:
I came to a conclusion after working nearly a full year at a pharmacy. I work at a "Fred's Pharmacy" store if any of you are fimiliar with the Freds chain. We deal with alot of lower income people. I have to say that when I started working there nearly a year ago, I had the biggest problem with many aspects such as peoples attitudes, people's poor choices, and Medicaid.
First of all I know that some people who come to the pharmacy are sick and are unhappy because of that. Alot of people aren't necessarily sick, but they need to pick of their monthly medications such as blood pressure and cholesterol medicine. Of course it has to be aggrevating to make eighteen trips to the pharmacy per month. When arriving at the pharmacy, some people may feel as though they just left the pharmacy. So sure its got to suck to be a very regular customer or a sick customer at a pharmacy. But I think it goes beyond that. Some people simply do not possess social skills. It's aggrevating for people that do everything in their ability to accomodate these people, because it seems that you can never satisfy them. Alot of these people don't even think about how they are acting because it's just how they are; they just don't have the people skills that some us may have.
I can't stress enough how many times I've seen people pay only a few dollars for very expensive perscriptions because they are covered by the medicaid plan.

"Wuh? My subcription is two dollars? Itused to onlybe 1!" Of course, this same person also has 2 boxes of little debbie's snackie cakes and a few bags of nutritious pork rinds, which together exceed the cost of their copay for an averaged priced perscription.

And who supports these people? We do as taxpayers! Of course its sickening to see some people make such back-assward choices, but let's face it, some people just aren't smart enough to make intelligent decisions. Constantly, our state tries to redefine the standards of medicaid, and faces a huge backlash. I'm not one for just giving up on an issue, but there is only so much fighting you should do for a lost cause.

I have reached the conclusion that no matter how ridiculous medicaid seems, how ignorant some peoples choices seem to be, and no matter how horrible a customer's attitude and personality are I should just learn to deal with it the best that I can. Lets face it, this is the public that we are working with...
I am not saying that we should tolerate everything, but I could always try to be a little more understanding and stop spending so much time complaining about people and conditions.

There are definately downsides to Retail Pharmacy, but there are downsides to ever job. If there weren't downsides, I wouldn't consider it a job.
The fact that some aspects of the people and medicaid aren't to my liking, will never take away my passion for profession.

There is one thing I really like about low income patients. Often when they come to pickup a prescription at the pharmacy I work at, they don't have to pay anything because it's covered by welfare or whoever covers it. But anyway, I scan prescription, print the receipt and that's it. No cash, no checks, no credit or debit.