A change of mind

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deskjet812

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sure you will. You are not the first person to realize that medicine is not for them. If you have a true passion for dentistry, I strongly doubt that dental schools will penalize you for having a change of heart.

deskjet812 said:
Do you think I would ever get accepted into a dental school after being in a combined medical program right out of highschool and not accepting my spot at the medical school?

Sure. Why not? They will understand that you changed your mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's probably safe to say that the majority of dental students changed from some other career goal before deciding on dentistry. Dentistry isn't glamorous and there are no TV shows about it, so it doesn't really cross most peoples minds as a first option.

Really, 90% of entering freshmen think they are going to be either a doctor, a lawyer, or a teacher. Obviously that changes. Exploring your options is really the point of college.

CorneliusFudge said:
I think it's probably safe to say that the majority of dental students changed from some other career goal before deciding on dentistry. Dentistry isn't glamorous and there are no TV shows about it, so it doesn't really cross most peoples minds as a first option.

Really, 90% of entering freshmen think they are going to be either a doctor, a lawyer, or a teacher. Obviously that changes. Exploring your options is really the point of college.

Exactly! My first two years of college I was working towards a Math Education degree b/c I wanted to be a teacher. Most students do change majors at least once. I do not think changing your mind from medical school to dental school will hurt you at all. Just shadow and make sure dentistry is right for you! Good luck! :)

deleted

Last edited:
deskjet812 said:
Do you think I would ever get accepted into a dental school after being in a combined medical program right out of highschool and not accepting my spot at the medical school?

Besides, you did get accepted. It's not like you chose dentistry because you thought it'd be easier to get into.

This is kind of scary but I am in EXACTLY the same boat as you are. In high school, I was interested in both dentistry and medicine but getting into a BS/MD program was just too good to pass up. And now I realized I want to do dentistry.

I am not even gonna mention it that I was even in a program, it does not say anywhere on my transcript and its not relevant. In my personal statement, however, I specifically wrote I was initially interested in medicine and then decided to do dentistry. I still took the MCAT and will still apply to that one school thru AAMCAS. For me, I guess I will have to hide the fact that I am also applying to one medical school but for you, you said you are denying admission so you should be fine. But if a school asked me a question about it during an interview, I don't think I would lie. I just see no reason to bring it up yourself.

deskjet812 said:

sure. just be yourself and dont worry too much about it. ;)