A good text on Research Methods?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

js1221

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good text on research methods/design in clinical/counseling psychology? I took a master's level research methods class in a CACREP program but it has been about 4-5 years since then. I am looking for a *good* and *interesting* text to re-learn and get to thoroughly know research methods/design -- plannning on doctoral study in clinical psych.

Please only respond if you have read a good text -- please don't just guess or respond based on reviews of a book you haven't read.

Thank you!! :)

Jason

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone know of a good text on research methods/design in clinical/counseling psychology? I took a master's level research methods class in a CACREP program but it has been about 4-5 years since then. I am looking for a *good* and *interesting* text to re-learn and get to thoroughly know research methods/design -- plannning on doctoral study in clinical psych.

Please only respond if you have read a good text -- please don't just guess or respond based on reviews of a book you haven't read.

Thank you!! :)

Jason
I highly recommend Kazdin's "Research Methods in Clinical Psychology." Easy-to-follow but written for the doctoral level, has a lot of good examples, and it's got a nice blend of statistics and research method/design terms in there. It's one of those books you don't return at the end of the semester - I keep using it over and over again.

Reactions: 1 user
I highly recommend Kazdin's "Research Methods in Clinical Psychology." Easy-to-follow but written for the doctoral level, has a lot of good examples, and it's got a nice blend of statistics and research method/design terms in there. It's one of those books you don't return at the end of the semester - I keep using it over and over again.

Took the words out of my mouth. I agree. I found it to get drier later in the book but all in all it breaks down the concepts well and is geared for a doctoral level audience. It is a little pricey, even used on Amazon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took the words out of my mouth. I agree. I found it to get drier later in the book but all in all it breaks down the concepts well and is geared for a doctoral level audience. It is a little pricey, even used on Amazon.
Count this as vote number three for Kazdin's book. His geeky humor had me laughing out loud. Though it's fairly basic (in my opinion), this is a useful, enjoyable text.

Is it Research Design in Clinical Psychology? Or is that a different title (perhaps for a different level readership?) from same author?

We also used a book by Kazdin, but it was Methodological Issues and Strategies in Clinical Research. I'm not sure that I recall it being particularly humorous though. I feel jipped.

Thank you everyone very much, for your suggestions!

-Jason

Is there a typo? As Wigflip mentions, do you mean "Research Design in Clinical Psychology?" And speaking of that book, I'm not a big fan of it. It's monotonous and kind of tedious, though the subject matter has a lot to do with it too. Could you guys mention another book that could complement Kazdin's but is not as...dry?

I looked up the book and it looks like wigflip meant "Research Design in Clinical Psychology" by Kazdin. I am a bit apprehensive about ordering the book as the Amazon reviews are not great: 3/7 stars, 7 reviews.

I am wondering whether anyone has read the following. The following have better reviews:

4.5 stars, 13 reviews:
Research Methods In Psychology by John Shaughnessy, Eugene Zechmeister and Jeanne Zechmeister (Feb 8, 2011)

5 stars, 1 review
Understanding Research in Clinical and Counseling Psychology by Jay C. Thomas and Michel Hersen (Feb 23, 2011)

4.5 stars, 6 reviews
Research In Psychology: Methods and Design by C. James Goodwin (Nov 2, 2009)

-Jason

Sorry, I don't know these other books. I only know the one by Kazdin. And don't get me wrong, this guys knows research like it's nobody's business. It's just that the subject matter is dense and also he does not try very hard to make it more interesting. Not an awful book but leaves me wanting more.

Also, don't go by reviews only. I know grad students love to count things and measure things but that's an awfully small sample. In fact, sometimes the reviewers are friends of the author or people who just came from a book signing by the author, so if you ever come across two dozen five star ratings all made within two weeks, be suspicious. It could be legit...but be cautious. I speak from experience because I used to get Amazon to "sort" by "avg customer review" (silly me, thinking it was much more valid than sorting by "popularity") all the time. Some people are not even reviewing the books but the sellers, like if the book they got had some pages torn out or something.

The validity of reviews goes out the window once you get into books with political/religious content. I've seen people give scathing reviews to books they have not even read. The more extreme the language, the more likely they haven't read it. Good reviews usually make plenty of references to passages in the book, use quotes, use more neutral language. They don't say the author is antisemitic pig just because he criticizes Israel's foreign policy, or that the author is "evil" just because he respectfully disagrees with certain religious views. No, they actually read what's been written. In short, some reviewers have an agenda, and some are just not intelligent enough to be able to see the shades of gray and instead distort the author's perspective and what's worse, draw unwarranted conclusions about the author.

Do look at the reviews because they are valuable sometimes. If a lot of people complain about the background noise of an audiobook, make sure you listen to a sample before you buy. If they question the author's credentials, review them yourself. Sorry, I got off track. Hopefully somebody in the know will give us some stats book suggestions.

Sorry, I don't know these other books. I only know the one by Kazdin. And don't get me wrong, this guys knows research like it's nobody's business. It's just that the subject matter is dense and also he does not try very hard to make it more interesting. Not an awful book but leaves me wanting more.

Also, don't go by reviews only. I know grad students love to count things and measure things but that's an awfully small sample. In fact, sometimes the reviewers are friends of the author or people who just came from a book signing by the author, so if you ever come across two dozen five star ratings all made within two weeks, be suspicious. It could be legit...but be cautious. I speak from experience because I used to get Amazon to "sort" by "avg customer review" (silly me, thinking it was much more valid than sorting by "popularity") all the time. Some people are not even reviewing the books but the sellers, like if the book they got had some pages torn out or something.

The validity of reviews goes out the window once you get into books with political/religious content. I've seen people give scathing reviews to books they have not even read. The more extreme the language, the more likely they haven't read it. Good reviews usually make plenty of references to passages in the book, use quotes, use more neutral language. They don't say the author is antisemitic pig just because he criticizes Israel's foreign policy, or that the author is "evil" just because he respectfully disagrees with certain religious views. No, they actually read what's been written. In short, some reviewers have an agenda, and some are just not intelligent enough to be able to see the shades of gray and instead distort the author's perspective and what's worse, draw unwarranted conclusions about the author.

Do look at the reviews because they are valuable sometimes. If a lot of people complain about the background noise of an audiobook, make sure you listen to a sample before you buy. If they question the author's credentials, review them yourself. Sorry, I got off track. Hopefully somebody in the know will give us some stats book suggestions.

Thank you! Yeah, ha ha... I know, those reviews are pretty small sample sizes. I get hung up on reviews sometimes. But hearing your personal experience is good... I do want to find a research text that has some enthusiasm put in to the way it is presented. Haven't bought anything yet but considering one of the 5 or so texts discussed. Can't remember what text was used in my master's counseling program but it was SO dry, blech!. And research doesn;t have to be presented that way. (Same with any field really I think, but, there are particular subjects such as this, where the author really does need to have enthusiasm and love for the subject and be able to express it in print. E.g. There is also nothing like a dry and painful music theory text esp. if you have music theory class at 8:30 a.m....undergrad days, lol).
Jason

Thank you! Yeah, ha ha... I know, those reviews are pretty small sample sizes. I get hung up on reviews sometimes. But hearing your personal experience is good... I do want to find a research text that has some enthusiasm put in to the way it is presented. Haven't bought anything yet but considering one of the 5 or so texts discussed. Can't remember what text was used in my master's counseling program but it was SO dry, blech!. And research doesn;t have to be presented that way. (Same with any field really I think, but, there are particular subjects such as this, where the author really does need to have enthusiasm and love for the subject and be able to express it in print. E.g. There is also nothing like a dry and painful music theory text esp. if you have music theory class at 8:30 a.m....undergrad days, lol).
Jason

:laugh: It must be something with music theory to torture folks. All my theory and sightsinging/ear training courses were at 8 AM as well.